U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:33 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,170,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i take it very personally and get very passionate about it because i know what it is supposed to taste like, i have eaten it and i wish i could just feed it to all of you so you can taste how wonderful it is!
since i cant do it, i can only suggest that everyone take a trip to CAFE CAPRI in rutherford and order a pizza margherita. i promise you that theirs is the closest to the pizza i have had in italy. all of their pizzas are great. it is so good i have taken family members from italy there and they loved it--took the time to tell me how much.
How about holding a pizza party for us?

I really want pizza now- I should not be discussing pizza especially now that I have to eat a boring salad for lunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 11:41 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,935,086 times
Quote:
sorry tahini, i think that part was meant for nicole m-- i wanted to quote both of your messages, but only did your....sorry about that
honestly, i was surprised when he told me he didn't like it. i don't know where he went or how many times he had it though.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:52 AM

718 posts, read 2,073,975 times
Quote:
i take it very personally and get very passionate about it because i know what it is supposed to taste like, i have eaten it and i wish i could just feed it to all of you so you can taste how wonderful it is!
since i cant do it, i can only suggest that everyone take a trip to CAFE CAPRI in rutherford and order a pizza margherita. i promise you that theirs is the closest to the pizza i have had in italy. all of their pizzas are great. it is so good i have taken family members from italy there and they loved it--took the time to tell me how much.
Im with you on sharing what real pizza tastes like. Thanks for the recommendation on Cafe Capri. I will check it out next time I am in the area. The pizza I have had in the Giants stadium area has tasted like generic Papa John's garbage.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:53 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,246,067 times
if i were in NJ right now, i would pick you all up from work/home/school and bring you all on a field trip-lol
now i need pizza and there is not a good slice to be had
so please go and have some for me

Old 02-22-2008, 11:54 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,246,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Im with you on sharing what real pizza tastes like. Thanks for the recommendation on Cafe Capri. I will check it out next time I am in the area. The pizza I have had in the Giants stadium area has tasted like generic Papa John's garbage.
seriously, i hope you go--they are closed on mondays so be careful
it was always a treat for us to go there

Old 02-22-2008, 02:41 PM

12 posts, read 42,160 times
Pizza Town On 46 (elmwood Park) Is The Best

Old 02-22-2008, 06:59 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,279,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i have a friend (Queens Italian) who has had pizza in Italy and said it sucks.
I'll tell you if that's true or not, will be in Italy in may on a Med cruise. Someone told me the Pizza in Florence was excellent, I'll see.

Diane G

Old 02-22-2008, 08:40 PM

828 posts, read 2,845,332 times
I am of Italian descent, but I have never been to Italy.
I'll betcha that the pizza in some of the cities and towns is much different that the "Americanized" pizza that we eat.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:39 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,138,341 times
Real Italian pizza is different, and varies by region, but a few things remain constant: it is always baked in a wood fired oven, with fresh mozzarella, and is round. When I dined in northern Italy, the pizzas were ordered individually, not one or two big pizzas for the whole table. There were different varieties to choose from, and some had neither tomatoes nor tomato/marinara sauce on them. And from what I remember, the crust was very thin but also much crispier than "Americanized" pizza.

Back on topic: my two favorite NJ pizzerias are Maria's in Franklinville, and Soprano's in the Villas. Both have the very thin, large slices that I love, and just the right amount of mozzarella and sauce. Plain pies are perfect, no need for any toppings. Yum!

Old 02-23-2008, 05:58 AM

5,439 posts, read 14,324,626 times
Whoever said "what are we 12 years old" that is fine - I don't take offense to it. To each his own really , right? There are plenty of things that I do not like.

findinghope knows a good pizza. i've never been to this Cafe Capri place but i trust from his other posts

there is a place in ridgewood "A mano" where Roberto Caporuscio was the pizzaiolo

This guy is the president of APN. Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletano. This is an association to basically certify that pizzas are made just like they are in Italy. Here are some of the rules:

1. A wood-burning oven: The pizza must be cooked by wood. Gas, coal or electric ovens, while they may produce delicious pizza, do not conform to the tradition.

2. Proper ingredients: 00 flour, San Marzano (plum) tomatoes, all natural fior-di-latte or bufala mozzarella, fresh basil, salt and yeast. Only fresh, all-natural, non-processed ingredients are acceptable.

3. Proper technique: Hand-worked or low speed mixed dough, proper work surface (usually a marble slab), oven temp (800 F), pizza preparation, etc.

The unfortunate part is that he left the restaurant to open up a school to teach people how to make good pizza, so I am not sure I can endorse it anymore. I haven't been there since he left.

For me personally, I do not believe that you need to follow rules to make good food. For example Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix nor American Flatbread in Waitsfield VT follow any sort of rules and make some of the best pizza in my opinion. They are more about using the freshest local ingredients. American Flatbread makes pizza out of an oven made out of clay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or