U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:41 AM

7,962 posts, read 16,778,503 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever been to the Reservoir Tavern in Boonton? They've been around since I think 1936. This is the best pizza I've had in NJ. (Alta Pizzeria in Hazleton PA and Frank Pepe's Clam Pie in New Haven are the only ones that are better) Mack's in Wildwood is another great pie. Someone mentioned DiLorenzo's, this is a tomato only pie, which I hear is among the best, but I don't like just plain tomatoes. Yet another great pie is Tony's in Morris Plains. Finally Benny Tudino in Hoboken is one the biggest slices and also in my top 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 09:53 AM

197 posts, read 722,128 times
Default Delorenzos

You can't forget about the 2 Delorenzos in Trenton. The one on Hudson street is opening up a location in Robbinsville. Off the beaten path, Top Road Tavern on Burnswick Ave in Trenton, makes a very good pie too. Your quinisential Tomatoe Pie....It's a shame all three are in so so areas.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:28 AM

25,383 posts, read 24,162,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Has anyone ever been to the Reservoir Tavern in Boonton? They've been around since I think 1936. This is the best pizza I've had in NJ. (Alta Pizzeria in Hazleton PA and Frank Pepe's Clam Pie in New Haven are the only ones that are better) Mack's in Wildwood is another great pie. Someone mentioned DiLorenzo's, this is a tomato only pie, which I hear is among the best, but I don't like just plain tomatoes. Yet another great pie is Tony's in Morris Plains. Finally Benny Tudino in Hoboken is one the biggest slices and also in my top 10.
I have!!! About a bajillion years ago, though. As I recall, it was very good. My friend lived in Boonton and everybody knew the place...it had a local fame.

Old 10-01-2007, 01:53 PM

19,275 posts, read 20,160,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
Trenton gets no respect!!! What about De Lorenzo's!?
Amen to that.

Quick story: about a million years ago when I was in High School (actually, about 1963), I had a terrible strep throat infection and lost my sense of taste. I started losing weight. Bread tasted like sand. Meat tasted like rubber bands. It was bad.

My girlfriend at the time convinced me to take her to De Lorenzo's in Trenton (we lived down in South Jersey), and I had a slice of some pie they made at that time with extra hot peppers.

Two bites, and my taste buds blasted back into action. I'll always remember that experience.

I'd like to make it a perfect ending and say I married the girl, but no dice. She ended up marrying a guy from Trenton!

Old 10-01-2007, 02:53 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,283,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post
What...? So they took all the good pizza and left for Nashville. Such a shame... Soon there will be nothing left here in Jersey.
Emilios, on Tennent Road, Food Town Shopping Center, Manalapan is good. The owners were nice also. I acually orderd food from there on Moving day for my movers. It was the last meal I ate in Manalapan. We headed as far as PA that night. My son still gets Pizza there.

Diane

Old 10-01-2007, 03:12 PM

45 posts, read 190,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
I disagree. I went to the "famous" Di Faras in Midwood yesterday and it was OK at best. We the headed over to Spimoni Gardens in Bensonhurst and that was better, but I've had better quality pies in Jersey.

Any suggestions on a good pizza joint in BK? I will make the trip out next weekend.

I have been out of Bklyn for awhile now, but Spomoni Gardens was really good and so was Da Vincis in Bensonhurst between 65st and 66th and 18th ave.. Da Vinci has been there for over 30 yrs. when I go back I go to these two places for pizza....

Old 10-01-2007, 03:25 PM

687 posts, read 2,911,610 times
Quote:
Emilios, on Tennent Road, Food Town Shopping Center, Manalapan is good. The owners were nice also. I acually orderd food from there on Moving day for my movers. It was the last meal I ate in Manalapan. We headed as far as PA that night. My son still gets Pizza there.
Thanks, Diane. Good to know, as the new house is right off Tennent Road.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:26 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,283,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post
Thanks, Diane. Good to know, as the new house is right off Tennent Road.
Juliann, Your welcome. I lived off Tennent on the Manalapan side, Woodland Circle.I heard the new owners placed a Mailbox on top of the brick one I had, they claim they can't change the box inside, we did. My neighbors said it really looks dumb. Yes, I had some neighbors I was friends with there, One just became a Minister, she went to Princeton.
Also a really good Kosher deli, is Jessie and Davids in Townpoint shopping center, off of Tennent also. I don't care for the Pizza place in that shopping center, it didn't taste so good.
Romeos on Gordons Corner also good.
Diane

Old 10-01-2007, 09:51 PM

10 posts, read 29,370 times
i'm from Chicago and what u call good pizza out here is the lame shopping mall pizza we laugh at

the pizza here is garbage

find me a spot that has real pizza

or at least something that isn't as thin as a crackhead from the newark projects

Last edited by joe neckbone; 10-01-2007 at 10:22 PM..

Old 10-01-2007, 10:04 PM

57 posts, read 286,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
I disagree. I went to the "famous" Di Faras in Midwood yesterday and it was OK at best. We the headed over to Spimoni Gardens in Bensonhurst and that was better, but I've had better quality pies in Jersey.

Any suggestions on a good pizza joint in BK? I will make the trip out next weekend.
La Casa Bella on Cropsey Ave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or