Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 11:10 PM

718 posts, read 2,322,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Are there any places that have stuff crust besides Pizza hut and those chains?

It is not difficult to make: you just put cheese or whatever on the edges, and wrap the dough over and just cook it.

I am surprised no mom and pop pizzeria has not copied it yet

NY and NJ pizza are exactly the same except the diameter of NY is a little more.

Is there a pizzeria that actually has italians working there anymore?

Dont know about stuffed crust. Not a fan. I can imagine its easy to make.

Never paid attention to the diameter.

Yeah there are pizzerias that have Italians working. You just have to look for them. Although I like my real Italian pizzerias, I dont mind recent immigrants from other places making my pizza as long as they make it right. Good pizza is good pizza.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 03:44 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,464,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Are there any places that have stuff crust besides Pizza hut and those chains?

It is not difficult to make: you just put cheese or whatever on the edges, and wrap the dough over and just cook it.

I am surprised no mom and pop pizzeria has not copied it yet

NY and NJ pizza are exactly the same except the diameter of NY is a little more.

Is there a pizzeria that actually has italians working there anymore?
yes there are pizzarias with italians making the pizzas, and filled crust? that is an american invention.

you want to taste real italian pizza? the closest you will find is at cafe capri in rutherford.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:22 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,633,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
Haha...great points. Most (not all) jersey pizza is thick (but not deep dish thick) with an overly doughy crust.

Sounds like youve been around and know real pizza. Been to Italy? If so where at?
i have a friend (Queens Italian) who has had pizza in Italy and said it sucks.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:30 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I did too. This was many years ago-in high school- so maybe things have changed. I was so very excited to eat pizza in Italy. It was very very thick and not very good. Maybe I needed to visit a different part of Italy as we only visited a small part of Italy for a day and we concentrated on other countries more.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
what are you all nuts? i dont want to sound like i am bragging, but i have been all through Italy and ate pizza in every major city, not to mention some smaller towns in sicily. i dont know where they took you to eat, but it definately did not suck--not even close.
italian pizza is pizza a piatto. it is the size of a dinner plate, a fairly thin crunchy, crust, the cheese is fresh mozzarella balls--not all over the pizza usually. and depending on the style you want, there are different topings.
margherita is the classic style: sauce, basil, and a few sopts of cheese. that is REAL pizza....

Old 02-22-2008, 10:39 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,633,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
what are you all nuts? i dont want to sound like i am bragging, but i have been all through Italy and ate pizza in every major city, not to mention some smaller towns in sicily. i dont know where they took you to eat, but it definately did not suck--not even close.
italian pizza is pizza a piatto. it is the size of a dinner plate, a fairly thin crunchy, crust, the cheese is fresh mozzarella balls--not all over the pizza usually. and depending on the style you want, there are different topings.
margherita is the classic style: sauce, basil, and a few sopts of cheese. that is REAL pizza....

considering i've never been to italy, i don't think i'm nuts and noone took me anywhere

Old 02-22-2008, 10:42 AM

sorry tahini, i think that part was meant for nicole m-- i wanted to quote both of your messages, but only did your....sorry about that

Old 02-22-2008, 11:21 AM

718 posts, read 2,322,034 times
Quote:
I second this. I ate pizza in many spots around Italy, including home made by local people. Some people have their personal brick ovens in italy. Of course some places especially tourist areas have quickie cheapo pizza but that still blows away pizza with gooping American cheese. The better pizza in Italy is a gem, you dont know until youve tried it.

The margerita brings back pleasant memories...Im drooling right now haha. Also love the pizza prosciutto.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:22 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,306,076 times
Quote:
sorry tahini, i think that part was meant for nicole m-- i wanted to quote both of your messages, but only did your....sorry about that
Well I am not nuts either I stated in my original post that I was only in Italy for one day. However we tried pizza in two different places because we being teenage kids from New Jersey were excited for Italian pizza and were so excited but it ended up being so very awful. Think of frozen Ellios and make it 1000 times worse.

I also stated in my original post that perhaps if I were in a different part of Italy it may have been different. However we tried 2 places where we were and they both stunk.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:29 AM

i take it very personally and get very passionate about it because i know what it is supposed to taste like, i have eaten it and i wish i could just feed it to all of you so you can taste how wonderful it is!
since i cant do it, i can only suggest that everyone take a trip to CAFE CAPRI in rutherford and order a pizza margherita. i promise you that theirs is the closest to the pizza i have had in italy. all of their pizzas are great. it is so good i have taken family members from italy there and they loved it--took the time to tell me how much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey