U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2007, 09:22 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,189,375 times

Advertisements

What is the the best pizzeria in NJ? What do they have?

I do not know if this has been threaded before

I think cresskill pizza is the best. They have the best gourment pizzas especially their baco'potato pizza.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 09:36 PM

9,616 posts, read 9,467,492 times
My vote for best pizza in NJ is Star Tavern in Orange. They don't have any of those fancy "new age" pizza, but the pizza they do have is phenomenal.

Old 09-28-2007, 10:39 PM

329 posts, read 1,312,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskmd View Post
My vote for best pizza in NJ is Star Tavern in Orange. They don't have any of those fancy "new age" pizza, but the pizza they do have is phenomenal.
Oh, man..is that still there? I haven't been there in 30 years You're right, that's good "pie". I love Maruca's down in Seaside, too.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:48 AM

25,346 posts, read 24,141,953 times
I'm sure nobody else on this entire forum is going to know of this place, but...Cousins Pizzeria in River Vale is HANDS DOWN the best place I've ever gotten a pie in NJ.

My husband, who relocated to be with me, fell in love with eastern pizza in general, but once he tasted Cousins, forget it. There was no other place we would order from.

It's just a tiny little place, you can't even park there, I think there are probably ten parking spaces in front of it and some of those are for the dry cleaners next door. It's run by this guy who we used to call Gepetto (not to his face). I swear. This man WAS Gepetto. White mustache and all.

DARN but they make a good pie. The toppings are fresh, the meat toppings are incredible, the selection is excellent (chicken parm pizza and "salad pizza" were my favorites).

ETA: The prices were, hmmmm...let me try to remember. Average, I think. Not low, not high. Of course they ran certain "specials", as most food places do at one time or another.

Worth a run-through if you're ever driving through northern NJ!

Old 09-29-2007, 06:09 AM

3,314 posts, read 12,257,802 times
Nick's Pizza in North Bergen was very good (haven't had it in a while), there is also a place on 79th and Bergenline that has good pies, Tommy's in Elizabeth is also good if you tell him to make it a little crispy, Stefanos, Federici's and Tony's in Freehold have pretty good pies, Pete and Eldas in Neptune are very good. Someone else mentioned The Star Tavern in West Orange which is very good as well. Bottom line is I think you can pretty much get good pizza anywhere in central and northern NJ but I still think that there are a couple of pizzerias in NY that beat them hands down. My favorite is Johns Pizza on Bleecker Street, but there are many great ones!

Old 09-29-2007, 07:12 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,939,609 times
the beauty of it is there are SO MANY, i'm sure everyone's "best" is awesome. growing up, we loved EJ's bar pies in Bayonne (unfortunately closed ).

The best I recall recently was a dive in Penn Station waiting for a train back to NJ. Absolute HEAVEN. (I know, it's not in NJ...)

Old 09-29-2007, 02:33 PM

70 posts, read 193,350 times
Jersey shore Boardwalk pizza - any one of them!

Old 09-29-2007, 03:29 PM

2,179 posts, read 5,979,617 times
Algeri's in Belleville. Heaven!!!

Old 09-29-2007, 05:42 PM

767 posts, read 1,935,438 times
Default Good but not the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I'm sure nobody else on this entire forum is going to know of this place, but...Cousins Pizzeria in River Vale is HANDS DOWN the best place I've ever gotten a pie in NJ.

My husband, who relocated to be with me, fell in love with eastern pizza in general, but once he tasted Cousins, forget it. There was no other place we would order from.

It's just a tiny little place, you can't even park there, I think there are probably ten parking spaces in front of it and some of those are for the dry cleaners next door. It's run by this guy who we used to call Gepetto (not to his face). I swear. This man WAS Gepetto. White mustache and all.

DARN but they make a good pie. The toppings are fresh, the meat toppings are incredible, the selection is excellent (chicken parm pizza and "salad pizza" were my favorites).

ETA: The prices were, hmmmm...let me try to remember. Average, I think. Not low, not high. Of course they ran certain "specials", as most food places do at one time or another.

Worth a run-through if you're ever driving through northern NJ!
Cousins is around the block from me. Pizza is pretty good but I wouldn't call it the best. I love Brooklyn's Brick Oven Pizza in Hackensack.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:25 PM

687 posts, read 2,910,846 times
No one has mentioned Pete and Elda's? Crazy--hands down the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or