Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 10:46 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,308,465 times

Advertisements

Hello, my friends (and adversaries) from the Garden State! While driving home from doing my Hackettstown Photo Tour earlier this year I had the pleasure of passing through Buttzville, where I saw a place called "Hot Dog Johnny's." It looked like a really neat place, but I was in a hurry to beat the Stroudsburg gridlock to get home at a decent time and didn't have time to stop. I have since seen people around here sporting t-shirts from this restaurant, which indicates it is quite popular.

Would it be worth the hour's drive from Scranton, PA to stuff my face with one of their hot dogs, or are they just overhyped? I'd like to do a photo tour of Buttzville, since it seemed like a sleepy cozy hamlet amid the rest of the Northern New Jersey rat-race, and if you all give it positive reviews, I'll stop there for lunch.

Scranton has its own legendary hot-spot known as "Coney Island" for Texas weiners. I've had them before, and I like them quite a bit. Since there are a lot of people who spend time in both NEPA and NNJ on this forum, has anyone been to both Coney Island and Hot Dog Johnny's? How do they compare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 02:32 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,647,647 times
ABSOLUTELY!

I *love* those hot dogs. I've been to both myself, and I'm a big fan of Hot Dog Johnny's. Get yourself a couple of dogs and some birch, its definitely worth your trying it

Old 09-29-2007, 02:36 PM

61 posts, read 240,048 times
I used to stop by Johnny's all the time when going to visit my friend in East Stroudsburg, PA. It is definitely worth the stop. I kinda miss it since I moved to NC a couple of years ago. There was always a crowd there when I went. Miss the rides up route 31 and 46 through the Delaware Water Gap.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:19 PM

48 posts, read 163,299 times
They put pickles on their hotdogs and serve buttermilk too! One of a kind place

Old 09-29-2007, 03:23 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,594,261 times
i love Hot Dog Johnnie's, but I'm not sure I'd drive an hour each way for it! If you're ever near the border, it's a quick trip on 46.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/twinboyz4me/LeafPeeping-October2006045.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-29-2007, 05:22 PM

604 posts, read 2,906,018 times
I stopped there one time because everyone raves about their dogs. I was not impressed but in all fairness we have a little dive in Dunellen NJ with the absolute best chilli dogs. Been there a hundered times and I can't even tell you the name of the place. Maybe it's called Texas weiners....

E

Old 09-29-2007, 05:53 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,309,224 times
You guys have a great hotdawg place in Hazleton, PA called Jimmy's. It is open late everyday, and their chili is second to none.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:40 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,860,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
You guys have a great hotdawg place in Hazleton, PA called Jimmy's. It is open late everyday, and their chili is second to none.
Wasn't Jimmy's on "Unwrapped" one time? That show on Food Network? If it's the place I'm thinking of, it looked like the shizzle!

Old 09-29-2007, 09:04 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,027,643 times
I love Hot Dog Johnnies. The dogs are great although I don't know it's worth driving that far for one. Stop in next time you are in the area. There are also beautiful country roads to drive down.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:49 AM

23,795 posts, read 33,276,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
I stopped there one time because everyone raves about their dogs. I was not impressed but in all fairness we have a little dive in Dunellen NJ with the absolute best chilli dogs. Been there a hundered times and I can't even tell you the name of the place. Maybe it's called Texas weiners....

E
If you're talking on Rt 22 (by Washington or Warrenville Rd) then yes, Texas Weiners.

No one makes a better dog then Jimmy Buff's. I was raised eating Jimmy Buff's when they were in North Plainfield (it's now Dunkin Donuts) and make it a point to stop at their place by Bowcraft when I drive up. I've been trying to convince them to open a place down here (Burlington County) but they laugh.

Jimmy Buff's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey