U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,683 times

Advertisements

This is my first time posting, hope I'm doing this right...

I 'discovered' Sussex County this past spring for the first time since I've considered moving away from Hoboken, where I've been since 1980. I'm so impressed with its natural beauty and relative lack of population. I have a few concerns, though. The lack of racial diversity I can live with, but does it represent a lack of tolerance for non-conservatives too? I'm politically liberal, and not a churchgoer. Would I be shunned? Please forgive me if this seems naive--put it down to living near NYC for far too long.
Another thing is that I read recently that flood insurance ANYWHERE in NJ is becoming hard to find, because of the climate change issue. Has anyone found this to be true?
Last but not least---how's the coverage for National Public Radio stations around the county?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 07:02 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,960,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'mSoOverHoboken View Post
This is my first time posting, hope I'm doing this right...

I 'discovered' Sussex County this past spring for the first time since I've considered moving away from Hoboken, where I've been since 1980. I'm so impressed with its natural beauty and relative lack of population. I have a few concerns, though. The lack of racial diversity I can live with, but does it represent a lack of tolerance for non-conservatives too? I'm politically liberal, and not a churchgoer. Would I be shunned? Please forgive me if this seems naive--put it down to living near NYC for far too long.
Another thing is that I read recently that flood insurance ANYWHERE in NJ is becoming hard to find, because of the climate change issue. Has anyone found this to be true?
Last but not least---how's the coverage for National Public Radio stations around the county?

Thanks for your help!
i'm in morris county, which is also considered a conservative part of NJ. my personal opinion is "NJ conservative" is quite different than the "evangelical conservative" I believe you're thinking of. I'd say Morris/Sussex/Somerset/Hunterdon conservative is more on the fiscal side, not social. Socially Sussex may be more conservative than the more urban areas of the state, but not so much you'd feel out of place (actually, where in sussex are you looking?), IMHO. It's not like you'd be moving to a "so, what church do you attend" type of place. I consider myself socially liberal and never felt out of place here, moving from Hudson County.

Not sure about flood insurance, it's not mandatory everywhere, that much I do know.

good luck in your move!

Old 11-28-2007, 07:36 AM

3,858 posts, read 8,059,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
It's not like you'd be moving to a "so, what church do you attend" type of place. I consider myself socially liberal and never felt out of place here, moving from Hudson County.
In my experience, a fairly substantial amount of folks who live in Sussex, western Morris, and northern Hunterdon (not too sure about Warren) are transplants. My fiancee grew up outside of Newton, but her parents were originally from Chatham and Mendham. Neighbors on either side are from Essex. In the school district where she teaches there are many New York transplants. If you look at the representation in the State Legislature, Congress, etc...its definitely a more conservative area, but Tahiti is right, it's not like the South with regards to religion. The vibe seems more like "let thy neighbor be." After all, a lot of these people moved west and north for a reason.

Quote:
Not sure about flood insurance, it's not mandatory everywhere, that much I do know.
I dunno if you're going to really need it anywhere unless you live right on the banks of the Delaware or the Musconetcong River-or in a small valley somewhere. The average elevation there is 600-700 feet-if that floods we better call Noah! Finally, you should have no trouble getting NPR stations from either NJ, NY, or PA.

Old 11-28-2007, 08:33 AM

531 posts, read 1,916,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
Taxes and Auto insurance are much higher in NJ. But it is probably another 1/2 hour added to you already too long commute to central NJ or NYC for work.
Wear and tear on your car has a real and significant dollar value to it as well. It's just more difficult to quantify, so people ignore it. Consider the fact that your average car costs over $25,000 + plus interest, if you finance. Consider the fact that the more you drive it, the shorter the length of time between car purchases. It can really add up.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:18 AM

7,806 posts, read 7,270,775 times
Add in:
House prices, though not as an extreme difference as before, still significant. It will be this way until they figure out a car teleporter that allows people to commute from Dallas so they can pay 210K for a PALACE.
PA is run better

Old 07-23-2008, 04:23 PM

5,340 posts, read 12,355,029 times
I know this is an old post that I'm reviving, but I came across it and wanted to give my 2 cents.

Taxes are lower, yes, but there are other factors.

I have 2 friends that moved to the Poconos, well, 3 but one moved back so I don't count her! Anyway... the taxes were dirt cheap... but the services may not be what you are accustomed to in Jersey either. For example, after moving to PA my friend got a job in PA closer to home (and with a big pay cut). She was working there 16 months and she became very ill and needed to be out of work... but there is no state disability in PA. So she was on unpaid FMLA and lost her benefits (because w/ no income she could not afford COBRA) WHILE she was battling a serious illness. My other friend regrets her move to Poconos because she was less than impressed with the schools and now sends her kids to a private school that is a 40 min bus ride away - an added cost she did not anticipate. And neither is at all thrilled with the medical care/hospitals in the area.

SO yes, NJ is very pricey - but sometimes you get what you pay for.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:58 PM

7,577 posts, read 19,983,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
I know this is an old post that I'm reviving, but I came across it and wanted to give my 2 cents.

Taxes are lower, yes, but there are other factors.

I have 2 friends that moved to the Poconos, well, 3 but one moved back so I don't count her! Anyway... the taxes were dirt cheap... but the services may not be what you are accustomed to in Jersey either. For example, after moving to PA my friend got a job in PA closer to home (and with a big pay cut). She was working there 16 months and she became very ill and needed to be out of work... but there is no state disability in PA. So she was on unpaid FMLA and lost her benefits (because w/ no income she could not afford COBRA) WHILE she was battling a serious illness. My other friend regrets her move to Poconos because she was less than impressed with the schools and now sends her kids to a private school that is a 40 min bus ride away - an added cost she did not anticipate. And neither is at all thrilled with the medical care/hospitals in the area.

Mosts areas in NEPA are getting to be just as expensive if not more expensive than homes / taxes in Warren County. We looked at new const. in E. Stroudsburg...the house we looked at was 650... under 1 acre of property - on the side of a hill with neighbors behind and on both sides and the taxes were 12K! I paid 425 - new const. on 4 acres with taxes around 8K. That was 5 yrs. ago. My taxes are under 10K at the moment and the house is currently appraised at 550K.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:44 PM

792 posts, read 2,741,057 times
Quote:
my personal opinion is "NJ conservative" is quite different than the "evangelical conservative" I believe you're thinking of. I'd say Morris/Sussex/Somerset/Hunterdon conservative is more on the fiscal side, not social.
Libertarian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
NYC whether you need it or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
taxes taxes taxes
Judging by the way most vote in NJ they just enjoy paying high taxes.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:13 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,960,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Judging by the way most vote in NJ they just enjoy paying high taxes.
you've said this a few times, and i don't understand. there are 10 other states with higher tax burdens, i assume they "enjoy" it too?

Old 07-23-2008, 07:15 PM

792 posts, read 2,741,057 times
Quote:
you've said this a few times, and i don't understand. there are 10 other states with higher tax burdens, i assume they "enjoy" it too?
You probably assume correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or