U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:37 PM

2,179 posts, read 5,981,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
That has happened in a lot of areas where there is rapid growth, that is why NEPA taxes go up too... the more people come in, the more infrastructure is needed.
My sister said Charlotte is already feeling the tax crunch. She hauled the family down there a few years ago and taxes were 1,800. Now? Approaching 4K, but their home is spectacular!

As I sit here in my 500 SF shoe box....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 08:39 PM

5,340 posts, read 12,347,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
My sister said Charlotte is already feeling the tax crunch. She hauled the family down there a few years ago and taxes were 1,800. Now? Approaching 4K, but their home is spectacular!

As I sit here in my 500 SF shoe box....
Yeah, but you have a better view!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:40 PM

7,577 posts, read 19,980,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i've said this before, but my brother had a chance to relocate down to NC for his job with his NYC salary. He didn't go, but knew lots who did. Guess what happened? HUGE cuts RIGHT after these people relocated. They uprooted their lives, sold houses, and it was ripped out right from under them. And this was before the economy went to pot. A lot of times it IS happily ever after, but sometimes low cost housing and taxes just ain't enough if the income stream is $0.
I feel bad for anyone working in Corporate who is silly enough to think they are safe right now! I watch so many of my "AT&T" pals lose their jobs! Always bragged about how well they were doing at AT&T...almost cocky, arogant because they worked for "AT&T"..! Some are still looking for work!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but you have a better view!
I'm watching this storm coming up the river and all I have to say is, WOW.

If I turn around fast enough, I can bump into myself!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
I'm watching this storm coming up the river and all I have to say is, WOW.

If I turn around fast enough, I can bump into myself!
Did the big one come through yet? Your area is under tornado warning!

Old 07-23-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Did the big one come through yet? Your area is under tornado warning!
It's coming closer! My fish FREAKED at the last clap of thunder. Poor little guys! But my Betta is sitting here looking at me asking "what's wrong with the mental patients in the big tank? It's just thunder, man!"

Old 07-23-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I feel bad for anyone working in Corporate who is silly enough to think they are safe right now! I watch so many of my "AT&T" pals lose their jobs! Always bragged about how well they were doing at AT&T...almost cocky, arogant because they worked for "AT&T"..! Some are still looking for work!
I know... I have friends at ADP who were there FOREVER I mean, 25-30 yrs... and they got the ax. And they used some "loophole" whereby if they laid off the whole department, they don't have to pay severance. (I'd reccommed an employment attorney on that one....)

Old 07-23-2008, 08:49 PM

The storm is WICKED here too...

Old 07-23-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I know... I have friends at ADP who were there FOREVER I mean, 25-30 yrs... and they got the ax. And they used some "loophole" whereby if they laid off the whole department, they don't have to pay severance. (I'd reccommed an employment attorney on that one....)
A pal of mine was a photographer for AT&T for years! First they wiped out that department so she moved over to web development. She had over 25 yrs. of service and was let go. It took her 18 months to find a new job. She was there for almost a year and jus got laid off again! My heart bleeds for her..she isn't getting any younger - mid 40's.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:53 PM

Quote:
The storm is WICKED here too...
where are you? It's starting to get a bit hairy here as well. I'm probably signing off in aminute..the hairs on my arms are starting to stick up a bit..isn't that a sign that you're about to get............................................... .................................................. .........................................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or