Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:54 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times

Advertisements

I have a friend in allocations having a real hard time finding work...she also was laid off by big companies 3x within the past 6 yrs. DH has a ton of management experience and he is really struggling too.... it's very tough out there right now.

I'm in HR, that's a little better, but there are 100 applicants for 1 position even there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 08:59 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
I have a friend in allocations having a real hard time finding work...she also was laid off by big companies 3x within the past 6 yrs. DH has a ton of management experience and he is really struggling too.... it's very tough out there right now.

I'm in HR, that's a little better, but there are 100 applicants for 1 position even there...
It is really bad out there! I see tons of jobs but I'm not hearing many success stories. Seems the transplants are getting the good jobs in NJ. I wonder if they are hiring out-of-State / out-of-country people because they are excepting less pay than someone who lives here can accept in order to live here?

Old 07-24-2008, 04:14 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
ok Im going to get a few mad but PA sucks, especially NW!! Red necks, people with nascar stickers bigger than 6 inch diameter and KEYSTONE LIGHT!!!! It truely sucks!

Old 07-24-2008, 05:31 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Relative my ***! My buddy just transferred to NC with one of the big pharma firms, got a salary boost to boot, and an affordable McMansion w/low taxes. He lives like a king now with a better quality of life to raise his family.
This is usually an exemption to the rule, but not everyone is an executive with extra $$ as incentive to move down there. The blue collar types, middle class might not have that chance/offer. I myself have been looking in my industry down south and the best offer I had was for me to take a paycut of about 35k. So instead here we stay, and I don't regret it, sure there have been modifications to our financial planning, but I always look ahead long term. The south only offers a short term solution IMO.

Old 07-24-2008, 05:50 AM

7,221 posts, read 11,930,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
ok Im going to get a few mad but PA sucks, especially NW!! Red necks, people with nascar stickers bigger than 6 inch diameter and KEYSTONE LIGHT!!!! It truely sucks!
Oh come on rednecks are harmless...they can be loveable too. Mine actually prefers Genny Cream Ale over Keystone.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post

Is it that much worse than say some areas of NENJ where if you don't have the "address" or if you don't have a Beemer or a Benz or if you live on the other side of the tracks you are considered less than human? And GOD forbid someone drinking a beer instead of the latest Chaurdenay or Boujulon*sp or if you smoke a regular cig instead of a Cuban/Dominican Cigars.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:22 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
Is it that much worse than say some areas of NENJ where if you don't have the "address" or if you don't have a Beemer or a Benz or if you live on the other side of the tracks you are considered less than human? And GOD forbid someone drinking a beer instead of the latest Chaurdenay or Boujulon*sp or if you smoke a regular cig instead of a Cuban/Dominican Cigars.
I agree with the wine drinkers, and believe me I know some NW NJ has its share, my area even has a few, its getting less and less but trust me NW PA is a waste land, even the land is ugly. I equate it to ugly Orange county, NY!! Farms at one time which level the land and you get ugly grow back! Look there may be a great part but drive 10 miles in any direction of that great part and your in the wasteland!

Old 07-24-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
Oh come on rednecks are harmless...they can be loveable too. Mine actually prefers Genny Cream Ale over Keystone.
I'd take a redneck neighbor over a half baked white trash with cash neighbor

Old 07-24-2008, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I'd take a redneck neighbor over a half baked white trash with cash neighbor
Ouch!

Old 07-24-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
Ouch!
Hell has no fury like a dyke scorned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey