U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2007, 12:53 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,953,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ching1698 View Post
If you are looking trade your million dollar condos in New York City with nice house at Edison, Craigslist shows one just sold under attorney review (broken link). It is amazing ... real estate getting cold or hot?????
it is amazing - that someone would pay $1M for that house in Edison. you couldn't have any personal stake in continually saying there isn't a downturn in the market, could you?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 01:43 PM

687 posts, read 2,911,953 times
Quote:
it is amazing - that someone would pay $1M for that house in Edison. you couldn't have any personal stake in continually saying there isn't a downturn in the market, could you?
That Edison and Piscataway market must be scorching hot!

Old 10-01-2014, 12:39 PM

27 posts, read 42,847 times
Here is another useful tip: North Edison is a very good school district, hence very costly. There are good areas like around Inman Ave/Dover section and Park Ave section that are hot, but most of the homes are pretty old and definitely would need an upgrade. Its not the best for what you pay. If, safety is your main concern, and you are okay with average schools, then i would go with Piscataway. It has got some really nice homes and they are well updated unlike homes in Edison. I agree with user - Hearts here. Piscataway is very diverse. You would find people from all races. Its too good to be here.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:56 PM

13,572 posts, read 16,083,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudhakarsr View Post
Here is another useful tip: North Edison is a very good school district, hence very costly. There are good areas like around Inman Ave/Dover section and Park Ave section that are hot, but most of the homes are pretty old and definitely would need an upgrade. Its not the best for what you pay. If, safety is your main concern, and you are okay with average schools, then i would go with Piscataway. It has got some really nice homes and they are well updated unlike homes in Edison. I agree with user - Hearts here. Piscataway is very diverse. You would find people from all races. Its too good to be here.
That is a useful tip, but it is not likely to be of any use to the person who posted the original question a little over 7 years ago.

In fact, the OP informed us about one month later than he/she was moving to the state of Georgia--and he/she has never again posted anything on any City Data forum after October, 2007, so it is not very likely that he/she is monitoring this forum.

It is always a good idea to look at the date of posts before you respond to them.

Last edited by Retriever; 10-01-2014 at 01:16 PM..

Old 10-02-2014, 07:48 AM

27 posts, read 42,847 times
Thanks,
Of late, I could not find much posts in Central NJ for a busy person like me :-)

Anyway, i hope this might be of some use for folks who would search for "Edison" and end up getting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
That is a useful tip, but it is not likely to be of any use to the person who posted the original question a little over 7 years ago.

In fact, the OP informed us about one month later than he/she was moving to the state of Georgia--and he/she has never again posted anything on any City Data forum after October, 2007, so it is not very likely that he/she is monitoring this forum.

It is always a good idea to look at the date of posts before you respond to them.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:29 PM

341 posts, read 572,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LevityNYC View Post
I lived in Brooklyn also. We looked at Edison, but everything in our price range was run down (375-450k) It was also VERY industrial in edison compared to what I was expecting. I would suggest looking in Hazlet (where we bought) or Manalapan.

Honestly I would avoid Edison if I were you. You would be better off in Brooklyn. Lots of Indians in Edison (Not that theres anything wrong with that, its just some people would rather know)

It is always so extremely heartwarming when people sugarcoat their bigotry.

Anyway, my sister is married to an Asian Indian man and they live in Edison. My family and I visit them often in their diverse North Edison neighborhood. Along with my sister and her husband, I find the local Asian Indian residents to be not only extremely respectful, friendly, and law biding, but actual normal every day human beings that live, breathe, watch Jeopardy, and attend PTA meetings. One Indian guy even gave me a jump start last Thanksgiving!!!! Huh.... go figure!!!!

Not that there is anything wrong with giving a stranger a jump start, it's just that some people would rather know.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 570 times
We are moving to US, my husband, son and daughter. Its our first time in US, and Edison is where we wish to rent a house. I am very confused about few things:
1) if our house is not in the same area where my children's school is, will my kids not get the admission in the school they have decided about?
2) i am not finding good houses (within our budget) near the school my kids want to go in (Stevens HS) the school is in 08820, but we are finding houses in 08817 or around.
3) what are the cheaper options for weekly home cleaning services?
4) how do we get help about furniture assembling? We are shipping the furniture from our country.
5) where do we hire helpers/workers for all curtains works etc?
6) some houses that we like dont allow pets, but we will be arriving with a kitty., what are our options in that case?
7) last but not the least, we know no one in Edson. Wonder how to make new friends? Do neighbors there like to meet eachother? Are people sociable and interested to talk with new people generally?We are from a big family here, with cousins and lots of friends, we really cant survive without nice and friendly people around us. Are there any community events, or Facebook groups, or online forums that i can join to get to know some nice families around us?
Your answers will greatly help this lost soul :-)

Last edited by Fg2017; 01-12-2017 at 07:39 PM..

Old 01-13-2017, 07:10 AM

13,572 posts, read 16,083,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fg2017 View Post
if our house is not in the same area where my children's school is, will my kids not get the admission in the school they have decided about?
The school that your children will be able to attend will be determined by your address.
Each school--be it elementary, middle, or high school--has a "catchment area", and you must live within those boundaries in order to attend that particular school.

The only possible exception to that rule is if your child requires a special program as a result of a learning problem. Some of these special programs exist only in one or two schools in a district, and as a result "special" children may wind up attending a school in an area of the township other than the area where they reside. If your children don't require any type of special program, they will attend the same school as all of the other children in the neighboring houses.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:54 AM

9,206 posts, read 20,221,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fg2017 View Post
We are moving to US, my husband, son and daughter. Its our first time in US, and Edison is where we wish to rent a house. I am very confused about few things:
1) if our house is not in the same area where my children's school is, will my kids not get the admission in the school they have decided about?
2) i am not finding good houses (within our budget) near the school my kids want to go in (Stevens HS) the school is in 08820, but we are finding houses in 08817 or around.
3) what are the cheaper options for weekly home cleaning services?
4) how do we get help about furniture assembling? We are shipping the furniture from our country.
5) where do we hire helpers/workers for all curtains works etc?
6) some houses that we like dont allow pets, but we will be arriving with a kitty., what are our options in that case?
7) last but not the least, we know no one in Edson. Wonder how to make new friends? Do neighbors there like to meet eachother? Are people sociable and interested to talk with new people generally?We are from a big family here, with cousins and lots of friends, we really cant survive without nice and friendly people around us. Are there any community events, or Facebook groups, or online forums that i can join to get to know some nice families around us?
Your answers will greatly help this lost soul :-)
What country are you moving from?
Edison is huge. I lived in 08817 back in 92, my mother in law lives in 08820 over by the Burger King on Oak Tree Road.

1) if our house is not in the same area where my children's school is, will my kids not get the admission in the school they have decided about? no

I'm not sure what high school kids from 08817 would go to but I don't think it's Stevens. You'd have to go to Public Schools of Edison Township at the top it shows our schools, Edison high and JP Stevens
Stevens HS from google 855 Grove Ave, Edison, NJ 08820
Quote:
John P. Stevens High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school that serves students in ninth through twelfth grades from the northern end of Edison Township
3) what are the cheaper options for weekly home cleaning services? You'd have to google cleaning services

4) how do we get help about furniture assembling? We are shipping the furniture from our country. You may want to search for a local handy man

5) where do we hire helpers/workers for all curtains works etc? Are you bringing curtains with you or buyi g when you get here?

6) some houses that we like dont allow pets, but we will be arriving with a kitty., what are our options in that case? Do you have family that can keep the cat?

7) last but not the least, we know no one in Edson. Wonder how to make new friends? Do neighbors there like to meet eachother? Are people sociable and interested to talk with new people generally?We are from a big family here, with cousins and lots of friends, we really cant survive without nice and friendly people around us. Are there any community events, or Facebook groups, or online forums that i can join to get to know some nice families around us? There should be local FB groups

Old 01-13-2017, 08:03 AM

462 posts, read 299,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjft View Post
Thanks guys. Here is what I need -

1. Close to the city since I work downtown NY
2. Good schools for a 7 yr old
3. homes less than the 400k range
4. Good amount of diversity

Yes, looking for the holy grail. Having said that, Edison isn't a bad choice, the commute isn't godawful if you live or can get a ride to the train and work near the PATH station downtown. the NJ commute to downtown is never great (Jersey City the exception) since you have to switch. I think North Edison is nicer and also is pretty diverse, but getting a house in the $400k range is going to be tough unless you want a fixer upper.

Everyone with a family wants the same things as you do. generally we either have to up our budget or lengthen our commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or