U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 08:35 AM

123 posts, read 68,630 times

Advertisements

<enjft posted that in 2007
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 09:55 AM

9,216 posts, read 20,231,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
2) i am not finding good houses (within our budget) near the school my kids want to go in (Stevens HS) the school is in 08820, but we are finding houses in 08817 or around.
I'm not sure what high school kids from 08817 would go to but I don't think it's Stevens. You'd have to go to Public Schools of Edison Township at the top it shows our schools, Edison high and JP Stevens
Stevens HS from google 855 Grove Ave, Edison, NJ 08820
Here are the school links, if you move to 08817 they'd go to Edison high

Edison High School 50 Boulevard of the Eagles, Edison, NJ 08817

John P. Stevens High School

Old 01-13-2017, 12:40 PM

40 posts, read 24,435 times
JP Stevens is historically a higher rated school in the 08820 area code and Edison High is lower rated, but Edison as a whole has very good schools.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:35 PM

13,578 posts, read 16,094,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitter77 View Post
JP Stevens is historically a higher rated school in the 08820 area code and Edison High is lower rated, but Edison as a whole has very good schools.

Exactly!
Anyone who goes into a panic over the prospect of their child attending EHS instead of JPSHS, or in regard to one Edison elementary school as opposed to another, is just being...foolish. The entire school system is highly-rated and just as there are some differences in aptitude or performance from one good student to another, there are always going to be some differences between two or more very good schools. This isn't a case of comparing JPSHS to...let's say...Central HS in Newark.

The differences between EHS and JPSHS are not significant enough for anyone to lose any sleep.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:27 PM

11,831 posts, read 7,714,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbach View Post
Yes, looking for the holy grail. Having said that, Edison isn't a bad choice, the commute isn't godawful if you live or can get a ride to the train and work near the PATH station downtown. the NJ commute to downtown is never great (Jersey City the exception) since you have to switch. I think North Edison is nicer and also is pretty diverse, but getting a house in the $400k range is going to be tough unless you want a fixer upper.

Everyone with a family wants the same things as you do. generally we either have to up our budget or lengthen our commute.
The commute isn't bad for a guy, not if you're a woman and you have to stand on crowded NJTransit trains and PATH trains during rush hour. For the price of homes in Edison I much rather pay for the same price in North NJ and not have to put up with the train craziness and some unsavory riders.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:11 PM

845 posts, read 330,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post
It is always so extremely heartwarming when people sugarcoat their bigotry.

Anyway, my sister is married to an Asian Indian man and they live in Edison. My family and I visit them often in their diverse North Edison neighborhood. Along with my sister and her husband, I find the local Asian Indian residents to be not only extremely respectful, friendly, and law biding, but actual normal every day human beings that live, breathe, watch Jeopardy, and attend PTA meetings. One Indian guy even gave me a jump start last Thanksgiving!!!! Huh.... go figure!!!!

Not that there is anything wrong with giving a stranger a jump start, it's just that some people would rather know.
And I agree with you.....I know that there is bigotry toward Asian Indians in Edison, but you know what, most are either business owners or doctors.........and are very-friendly-nice people.....

Old 01-13-2017, 09:59 PM

297 posts, read 711,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
And I agree with you.....I know that there is bigotry toward Asian Indians in Edison, but you know what, most are either business owners or doctors.........and are very-friendly-nice people.....
And IT.

If you can afford in Edison and like typical suburb lifestyle, it's great town in every possible way.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:14 PM

51,331 posts, read 50,591,986 times
He's fine. I will tell him you were asking

Old 01-14-2017, 05:52 AM

9,216 posts, read 20,231,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
He's fine. I will tell him you were asking
Who's fine? Edison? Sorry have to ask, wasn't sure if you posting in the wrong thread

Old 01-14-2017, 07:15 AM

13,578 posts, read 16,094,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by practicalposts View Post
If you can afford in Edison and like typical suburb lifestyle, it's great town in every possible way.
...except for the traffic congestion, and a police department that has such a long history of corruption and inefficiency that it is the laughing stock of Central NJ. I'm sorry, but this had to be said.

Over and above those negatives, the high quality of the school system is definitely a drawing-card for those who have school-age children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or