U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 09:19 AM

230 posts, read 593,890 times

Advertisements

Most of these so called snobby towns listed have very nice down to earth people living in them, but just have that reputation because of their wealth which is unfortunate. I don't judge people for having alot of money or very little, but by their hearts. I guess it's just sometimes harder to see their hearts while wearing their Gucci or Prada jackets. LOL My list would have to be:
1)Alpine
2)Rumson
3)Short Hills
4)Ridgewood
5)New Vernon(Harding Twp.)
6)Tenafly
7)Far Hills
8)Spring Lake
9) Saddle River
10) Mountain Lakes

Old 02-08-2008, 11:43 AM

368 posts, read 1,186,720 times
I grew up in Lower Bergen and my parents scrapped together enough money to send me to private school with lots of upper Bergen County people. Talk about Snobby. The kids were not that bad but the parents were a nightmare. I would go over to hang out and when they found out that I was not from one of their fancy towns they would look disgusted. They were never nice to my parents either because they were pulling up in the non Luxury cars...
Over the years I would say that the towns that stand out the most as snotty are...
RIDGEWOOD #1 and Worst Ever
Alpine
Englewood Cliffs
Woodcliff Lake
Saddle & Upper Saddle River
Franklin Lakes
Wyckoff
Livingston
Colts Neck
Rumson
Spring Lake
Manalapan

* This is only based on the places I know best. I am sure there are worse place out there.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:03 PM

4 posts, read 20,817 times
According to our realtor: Ridgewood. However we are not letting that dissuade us from looking there. Like one poster already wrote, there are snobs everywhere.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:13 AM
aeh

318 posts, read 1,460,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyRudy View Post
I just registered because I had to post a reply. I was reading all of your comments on snoby towns, towns with crime and so forth. I grew up in Fairview, Bergen County. The last town before Hudson County. Back then (I'm 31 and left when I was 19) it was a very small town where "everyone knew your name". So small that we didn't have our own high school, we had to go to the next town over, Cliffside Park. The Fairview kids were the cool ones, while the Cliffside kids were the more well off. Anyway, I lived all over Bergen County and I have to say the convience of it, Hackensack, Paramus, Little Ferry, Bergenfield, I loved it, it was what I was used too. One thing though about that area is the congestion, it's crazy, every try driving on route 4 or route 17 in the Paramus area, how about the holidays? I worked in a restaurant in Garden State Plaza, it was nuts. One cool thing about that area though is how eclectic it is, lots of differnet people. When it was time to get married and buy a house, we realized we couldn't afford Bergen County, so we looked a little further west. We now live in Morris County in Dover on the border of Randolph and I love it here. We got so much more for our money, I love my house, it's not huge but it's mine. I now work for the same restaurant company, just a different location, in The Mall at Short Hills. That town and surrounding towns (Livingston, Summit, Chatham) all get my vote for snoby. These people have too much money that they do not know what to do with. The hardest thing to deal with is their 13 year old daughters walking around in designer outfits, coming in for lunch and paying with thier daddy's black amex card. It makes me sick. Back in Fairview when I was a kid I was wearing salavation army clothes and eating cereal for dinner, and I'm proud of who I am today because of that. I also had the oportunity to work in Hoboken as a bartender years ago, the town of two kind of people, the yuppies, usually trust fund babies as another post so stated, and the other is the drunk obnoixous college kids that go to Stevens. What a combination!!!
To sum it up, I am the original Jersey Girl, and I love this place. Where else can you be at the beach, the greatest city in the world, New York, or in the mountains in just a couple of hours? We are high paid and smart and fast. Do you ever get the feeling when you travel out of state (or maybe too far south Jersey, sorry guys) that everyone is just a littler slower? Admit it, you know what I mean!!!
We lived in Wyckoff in Bergen County for almost three years. My husband is from California and I am from Dallas. Everywhere I would go when we lived in Jersey, people would make comments (undoubtedly due to my accent) about how much "faster" it must be there in Jersey compared to "down home where I was from" (their words, not mine...I would never say "down home") and, I kid you not, the bagger at the grocery store said to me, "If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere!". Gag. They must have thought I was a total idiot being from the south. The funny thing was, it was soooo back in time for us, we felt like we had returned to the 1950s. When we received our tax assessment, the previous owner's name was liquid papered out and our name written in! I hadn't seen liquid paper or a typewriter used in forever. (This was mid-90's) We howled over that one. We thought it was just hilarious that these Jersey natives thought we were so "slow" and yet, in Texas, I didn't know anyone that didn't go to college and yet it seemed much more commonplace in NJ that people were in the trades, etc (Not that there is anything wrong with the trades--they make a good living and have a lot of knowledge I don't) but the point being, Jersey natives thought we all rolled off the farm (people in Dallas wouldn't be caught dead in a cowboy hat, or with a big belt buckle on and I would say it was infinitely more cosmopolitan than anywhere in Jersey) but it was funny to have people stereotype so much. All in all, it was an interesting experience. We have lived all over the US and now out of the country, but we still laugh about our time in New Jersey.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:31 AM

691 posts, read 1,190,589 times
glen ridge and all of upper montclair for sure

Old 02-09-2008, 04:19 PM

10 posts, read 30,475 times
Essex Fells was ranked the richest town in NJ. Don't know much about Bergen other than it has a lot of rich areas. Alpine is really rich. Short Hills (Essex) is really loaded too. West Essex has a lot of money.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:05 PM

68 posts, read 179,333 times
Default What do you mean by "snobbiest" ?

What do you mean by "snobbiest" ? Do you mean simply that the people who live there are wealthier than most? Or are you talking about an offensive attitude toward those who are less affluent?

Everyone is entitled to feel proud of his own accomplishments. Most people feel some pride of place. But a confident, sophisticated person never exhibits a condescending attitude toward others, and is reluctant to ascribe it to others.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:26 PM

687 posts, read 2,911,953 times
Quote:
What do you mean by "snobbiest" ? Do you mean simply that the people who live there are wealthier than most? Or are you talking about an offensive attitude toward those who are less affluent?
Honestly, I started the thread as a joke a long time ago--just to see what people would come up with. I'm just shocked it hasn't died.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:48 PM

35 posts, read 176,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I remember one time I was in a municipal parking lot in Ridgewood, I was in a business at the time where I serviced coin-operated equipment. I was just finishing my call, and arrived at my parking spot with a toolbag in one hand, and a bag of quarters in the other hand. It was a hot day, I'd walked about six blocks. My arms felt like rubber bands. Anyway, my arrival at my car coincided with a municipal worker who wrote tickets for overtime violations in the parking lot. My time was expired, and I knew it was, but I knew it wasn't by much. I was putting my toolbag and the money in the back of the car, and was getting in the car ready to go, the employee obviously saw I was leaving, and began to write out a ticket without even acknowledging me as I loaded the toolbag into the car. Perceiving this as complete arrogance, I told him I was on my way, and he ignored me, and finished up just as I was putting my car in gear, he put the ticket on the windshield wiper of the car. He began to saunter over to the next overtime meter, and I told him that he saw me leaving, etc. The entire time, he did not say one word to me, as I followed him over to the next car. Finally I said to him, "Fine if that's the way you want it, no problem." I pulled the car back into my spot, then proceeded to open the back of my trunk, and scoop two fistfuls of quarters out the coin bag I brought with me, and proceeded to start putting in a quarter for each overtime meter, in plain view of him. That's when he started to talk. A lot. He instantaneously went from very aloof to very pissed off. He kept saying "I want your name. You give me your name!" And I continued to ignore him, and went down the line and went to every overtime meter in the parking lot, while he was screaming at me two steps behind me the entire time. Then I proceeded to go out onto the street, and fill every overtime meter on the street. He then said he was going to get the police. This did not frighten me. I continued to feed the meters while he was scurrying off. I must have filled every meter within 3 blocks of the municipal parking lot. I've never felt more satisified. Ironically, the guy never came back. Someone at the station must have told him that I was doing nothing wrong.
that's hilarious. good for you.
oh, and i vote ridgewood

Old 03-02-2008, 09:04 PM

368 posts, read 1,186,720 times
I had lunch in Ridgewood the other day and I sat next to a table of women gossiping about another that wasn't there. I almost lost my lunch.
They were going on about how money must be tight for her because her husband traded in her mercades for a mini "uhhh since when are we mini van people" and she isn't looking great "I mean her roots are horrible, how hard is it to make a hair appointment".
I never met the woman then were talking about but I felt bad for her. I hope she has other friends besides these nasty ladies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or