U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2007, 07:30 AM

562 posts, read 2,373,804 times

Advertisements

great observation.. ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I was thinking about this post a little earlier, and made a map to display just how close towns are to each other in NJ. To residents of these towns, the perception of another town being so close is often obscured by the myraid of traffic and population that adjoins them. Anyways, here is a map of a 10 mile radius ring around the Short Hills Mall, and all the towns that are completely within or partially within the ring. The total is an astounding 55! Including, as one poster mentioned, some towns as diverse as Newark and Elizabeth, to Harding Township.

Incidentally, if you sum the total population of these towns, it's roughly 1.75 million residents, or, about 200k less than the entire state of New Mexico, where I live now.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:33 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,939,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I was thinking about this post a little earlier, and made a map to display just how close towns are to each other in NJ. To residents of these towns, the perception of another town being so close is often obscured by the myraid of traffic and population that adjoins them. Anyways, here is a map of a 10 mile radius ring around the Short Hills Mall, and all the towns that are completely within or partially within the ring. The total is an astounding 55! Including, as one poster mentioned, some towns as diverse as Newark and Elizabeth, to Harding Township.

Incidentally, if you sum the total population of these towns, it's roughly 1.75 million residents, or, about 200k less than the entire state of New Mexico, where I live now.
that's a hell of a lot of snobby people

Old 10-24-2007, 09:08 PM

3 posts, read 11,237 times
Default My NJ

I just registered because I had to post a reply. I was reading all of your comments on snoby towns, towns with crime and so forth. I grew up in Fairview, Bergen County. The last town before Hudson County. Back then (I'm 31 and left when I was 19) it was a very small town where "everyone knew your name". So small that we didn't have our own high school, we had to go to the next town over, Cliffside Park. The Fairview kids were the cool ones, while the Cliffside kids were the more well off. Anyway, I lived all over Bergen County and I have to say the convience of it, Hackensack, Paramus, Little Ferry, Bergenfield, I loved it, it was what I was used too. One thing though about that area is the congestion, it's crazy, every try driving on route 4 or route 17 in the Paramus area, how about the holidays? I worked in a restaurant in Garden State Plaza, it was nuts. One cool thing about that area though is how eclectic it is, lots of differnet people. When it was time to get married and buy a house, we realized we couldn't afford Bergen County, so we looked a little further west. We now live in Morris County in Dover on the border of Randolph and I love it here. We got so much more for our money, I love my house, it's not huge but it's mine. I now work for the same restaurant company, just a different location, in The Mall at Short Hills. That town and surrounding towns (Livingston, Summit, Chatham) all get my vote for snoby. These people have too much money that they do not know what to do with. The hardest thing to deal with is their 13 year old daughters walking around in designer outfits, coming in for lunch and paying with thier daddy's black amex card. It makes me sick. Back in Fairview when I was a kid I was wearing salavation army clothes and eating cereal for dinner, and I'm proud of who I am today because of that. I also had the oportunity to work in Hoboken as a bartender years ago, the town of two kind of people, the yuppies, usually trust fund babies as another post so stated, and the other is the drunk obnoixous college kids that go to Stevens. What a combination!!!
To sum it up, I am the original Jersey Girl, and I love this place. Where else can you be at the beach, the greatest city in the world, New York, or in the mountains in just a couple of hours? We are high paid and smart and fast. Do you ever get the feeling when you travel out of state (or maybe too far south Jersey, sorry guys) that everyone is just a littler slower? Admit it, you know what I mean!!!

Old 10-27-2007, 09:38 PM

3,446 posts, read 7,654,222 times
Princeton, Deal, Basking Ridge, Hopewell

Old 10-27-2007, 11:00 PM

16 posts, read 78,063 times
The 3 M's...

Moorestown in Burlington County
Manalapan
and
Marlboro in Monmouth County...

Old 01-05-2008, 11:18 PM

42 posts, read 159,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
Haddonfield
I've lived in Haddonfield for 7 years and most people are down to earth and friendly, not snobby like I expected. The day I moved in, half my block came by to introduce themselves and I met the rest at the anual block party. Yes, there are people here who are impressed with themselves, but Haddonfield is actually very comfortable. People hang out at the coffee shop, walk to school wiht their kids, and get to know each other. Typical small town, however, is that everyone knows your business. I don't agree that Haddonfield is the "snobbiest," although I wont' deny there is an entitlement element here.

Old 01-06-2008, 04:47 AM

3,756 posts, read 8,207,972 times
Without a DOUBT, Franklin Lakes, NJ

Old 01-06-2008, 07:12 AM

5,370 posts, read 10,128,606 times
I would add Bay Head and Mantolokin to that list.

Old 01-06-2008, 08:36 AM

70 posts, read 246,633 times
Deal, Monmouth Beach, Allenhurst, Loch Arbor,Spring Lake, Spring Lake Heights, West End, Mantoloking, BTW,,, I Love every Town that I mentioned

Old 01-06-2008, 09:40 AM

44 posts, read 132,657 times
Snobby doesn't have to do with $. I grew up in Rumson, my parents still live in Navesink, grand parents on Ocean Ave in Spring Lake, tons of cousins in Upper Montclair. People that are really snobby have to work at it, it is phony. So when you meet "snobs", just look right through them, they want you to think they are wealthy. If you really have money, and any class, you don't advertise it.

I met Katherin Hepburn a few times at her best friends farm in Holmdel many years ago when I was in my teenage years, she was great and I remember her giving me a lecture about men, $ and class, while forcing me to drink fresh carrot & celery juice.

Nice memory, and I try to share it with the young women I meet in life, and young men, like my sons as well. She thought painted fingernails was the biggest waste of time in the world.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or