U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2008, 04:36 PM

41 posts, read 135,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I remember one time I was in a municipal parking lot in Ridgewood, I was in a business at the time where I serviced coin-operated equipment. I was just finishing my call, and arrived at my parking spot with a toolbag in one hand, and a bag of quarters in the other hand. It was a hot day, I'd walked about six blocks. My arms felt like rubber bands. Anyway, my arrival at my car coincided with a municipal worker who wrote tickets for overtime violations in the parking lot. My time was expired, and I knew it was, but I knew it wasn't by much. I was putting my toolbag and the money in the back of the car, and was getting in the car ready to go, the employee obviously saw I was leaving, and began to write out a ticket without even acknowledging me as I loaded the toolbag into the car. Perceiving this as complete arrogance, I told him I was on my way, and he ignored me, and finished up just as I was putting my car in gear, he put the ticket on the windshield wiper of the car. He began to saunter over to the next overtime meter, and I told him that he saw me leaving, etc. The entire time, he did not say one word to me, as I followed him over to the next car. Finally I said to him, "Fine if that's the way you want it, no problem." I pulled the car back into my spot, then proceeded to open the back of my trunk, and scoop two fistfuls of quarters out the coin bag I brought with me, and proceeded to start putting in a quarter for each overtime meter, in plain view of him. That's when he started to talk. A lot. He instantaneously went from very aloof to very pissed off. He kept saying "I want your name. You give me your name!" And I continued to ignore him, and went down the line and went to every overtime meter in the parking lot, while he was screaming at me two steps behind me the entire time. Then I proceeded to go out onto the street, and fill every overtime meter on the street. He then said he was going to get the police. This did not frighten me. I continued to feed the meters while he was scurrying off. I must have filled every meter within 3 blocks of the municipal parking lot. I've never felt more satisified. Ironically, the guy never came back. Someone at the station must have told him that I was doing nothing wrong.
LMAOROTF!!! Good for you!!! Ridgewood sucks that way. My ex-husband is still afraid to go through that town, and that's 20 years after his last run in with the fuzz there.

Old 01-18-2008, 04:55 PM

7 posts, read 25,034 times
Downtown Jersey city, by exchange place!

Old 01-19-2008, 05:40 AM

20 posts, read 122,188 times
Sparta, especially those living in the Lake Mohawk area.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:24 PM

259 posts, read 827,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Bridgewater!!!!
Absolutely! Plus the surrounding areas like Whitehouse Station. They act like the sun rises and sets with them.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:34 PM

7,574 posts, read 9,561,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I remember one time I was in a municipal parking lot in Ridgewood, I was in a business at the time where I serviced coin-operated equipment. I was just finishing my call, and arrived at my parking spot with a toolbag in one hand, and a bag of quarters in the other hand. It was a hot day, I'd walked about six blocks. My arms felt like rubber bands. Anyway, my arrival at my car coincided with a municipal worker who wrote tickets for overtime violations in the parking lot. My time was expired, and I knew it was, but I knew it wasn't by much. I was putting my toolbag and the money in the back of the car, and was getting in the car ready to go, the employee obviously saw I was leaving, and began to write out a ticket without even acknowledging me as I loaded the toolbag into the car. Perceiving this as complete arrogance, I told him I was on my way, and he ignored me, and finished up just as I was putting my car in gear, he put the ticket on the windshield wiper of the car. He began to saunter over to the next overtime meter, and I told him that he saw me leaving, etc. The entire time, he did not say one word to me, as I followed him over to the next car. Finally I said to him, "Fine if that's the way you want it, no problem." I pulled the car back into my spot, then proceeded to open the back of my trunk, and scoop two fistfuls of quarters out the coin bag I brought with me, and proceeded to start putting in a quarter for each overtime meter, in plain view of him. That's when he started to talk. A lot. He instantaneously went from very aloof to very pissed off. He kept saying "I want your name. You give me your name!" And I continued to ignore him, and went down the line and went to every overtime meter in the parking lot, while he was screaming at me two steps behind me the entire time. Then I proceeded to go out onto the street, and fill every overtime meter on the street. He then said he was going to get the police. This did not frighten me. I continued to feed the meters while he was scurrying off. I must have filled every meter within 3 blocks of the municipal parking lot. I've never felt more satisified. Ironically, the guy never came back. Someone at the station must have told him that I was doing nothing wrong.
I know the person your speaking of. Don't take it personally, he'd give his own mother a ticket if need be.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:17 PM

276 posts, read 1,225,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
I know the person your speaking of. Don't take it personally, he'd give his own mother a ticket if need be.
I wonder if its the same guy who gave me a ticket as I was buckling my 2 year old and newborn into their carseats .

Old 01-21-2008, 06:30 PM

10 posts, read 38,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfill View Post
Let's not forget about any town within a 10 miles radius of Short Hills Mall...
I know what you mean for the most part..especially Chatham and Short Hills but if you venture past Chatham, Madison is a great town and not snobby at all. It's a great town -- nice downtown shopping area, college town with Drew and Fairleigh Dickinson there...nice mix of ages here too. I wish we could afford to stay here (we are only renting) but we're looking to buy and we won't be able to afford it..

when you leave Madison, you'll hit Florham Park and it's back to snobbiness.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:37 AM

757 posts, read 3,018,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTina View Post
Every County in Nj has it's snobby towns. Where I grew up it was Short Hills, South Orange,Millburn. Now it's Rumson, Holmdel, Fair Haven, Marlboro. Se la vie! Always going to be someone that thinks they are better and put on heirs no matter where you live.
I graduated R-FH in '68 and Rumson was mighty snobby/cliquey when I lived there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coder ccs View Post
. . . rumson . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamer View Post
Snobby doesn't have to do with $. I grew up in Rumson, my parents still live in Navesink, grand parents on Ocean Ave in Spring Lake, tons of cousins in Upper Montclair. People that are really snobby have to work at it, it is phony. So when you meet "snobs", just look right through them, they want you to think they are wealthy. If you really have money, and any class, you don't advertise it.

I met Katherin Hepburn a few times . . . She thought painted fingernails was the biggest waste of time in the world.....
Snobbishness is based on insecurity, which doesn't make it any less unpleasant. But if any place can make you insecure, it's a lot of the folks who lived in Rumson when I was growing up there, always sizing up you, your friends, your stuff. When you're an adult, it's easy to shrug off, but as a kid, when it's all you know, it's painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
so true, unfortunately the people with real class have become far and few between, especially in Rumson.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiemommie View Post
Rumson is my vote
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyM View Post
They forgot a few towns to add to the snobbery list:

Spring Lake (biggest snob town in the entire state of NJ, mansions right on the beach, far worse than Saddle River, Rigdgewood, or Alpine)
Colts Neck (where Queen Latifa is)
Rumson (where Bruce Springsteen and Bon Jovi are)
Actually, I think Bon Jovi is across the river in Highlands.

Thanks, guys, for making my point so well.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:03 AM

2,689 posts, read 2,855,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
Actually, I think Bon Jovi is across the river in Highlands.

Thanks, guys, for making my point so well.
fwiw: bon jovi's house is in middletown but he's moved to NYC

Old 02-08-2008, 08:21 AM

9,665 posts, read 9,490,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
fwiw: bon jovi's house is in middletown but he's moved to NYC
And he spends his summers at his house in East Hampton, NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or