Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 08:50 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,869,902 times

Advertisements

correct. as a rule of thumb. if the house has wheels and a trailer hitch its a manufactured home (trailer home) and if it arrives on a flatbed trailer in pieces and put together on site its a modular home. BIG difference. In fact a modular is most likely built better then an on site stick built house due to higher quality standards, better trained builders and better materials. besides they are built in a climate controlled factory so the builders are not
fighting the cold and taking short cuts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
They're not trailers. These are modulars, not manufactured. That is an outdated misconception. We thought the same thing.

I came on here and asked a ton of questions, was directed to some great places and the general consensus is that no one would hesitate to buy one. They're constructed better than a "stick built" and are done much faster with a time frame from start to finish (placed on the foundation and finish work) of 3-6 months compared to 1 year + on a stick built.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 09:51 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Do you work there/own the place?
Looks like almost all of your posts are the same thing which is why I asked. Looks like you may be advertising...
Good eye Rose. His blatant use of this forum for advertising is obvious. It is also 3 months old and the mods never caught it yet? Maybe it's just to old to matter.

Old 12-22-2008, 05:30 PM

wow.. just found out tonight that the home we were *gonna* purchase was a manufactured home and not a moduler! The owners lied to their Realtor who told us it was NOT a manufactured home. Amazing! We had the inspection next week and it would have came up then.. They cut off the hitch and made a concrete foundation to *hide* its true origins. wow.... we are in shock and PISSED as hell. almost $300k for a double wide..

third house... in 4 months.. deal broken.. amazing. Is anyone honest??

Last edited by frankgn87; 12-22-2008 at 06:38 PM..

Old 12-22-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
wow.. just found out tonight that the home we were *gonna* purchase was a manufactured home and not a module! The owners lied to their Realtor who told us it was NOT a manufactured home. Amazing! We had the inspection next week and it would have came up then.. They cut off the hitch and made a concrete foundation to *hide* its true origins. wow.... we are in shock and PISSED as hell. almost $300k for a double wide..

third house... in 4 months.. deal broken.. amazing. Is anyone honest??
I dont think you have a double wide trailer. A modular is a real home built in exactly the same fashion as any other home. Except it is built in a factory and shipped in 2 or 4 sections. They will be 14' wide and anywhere from 24' up to 36' long. A crane drops the 2 lower levels together and then the 2 upper levels together to form a Colonial style or just a ranch with the twin lowers. There is no steel frame to cut off. There is no floor. Just framed sides that will lower onto a cement slab where it will be bolted or it will have floor joists if it is to be dropped onto a foundation with a basement.

Where the seams are the vinyl siding covers up so no hint of a seam is ever visable. On the inside the seam is just taped and spackeled over.

Average people can never tell the difference. Once complete the only hint that it was built in a factory is the center walls are from 8 to 12" thick. Thats it.

There is no law requiring a seller to disclose if a home is factory built.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:44 PM

first of all. Im not an 'average' person. Im a professional engineer and run the construction department for a major University. The house I am talking about is a manufactured home (trailer home)and NOT a molular home. I already explained the difference. This home came on a metel frame with wheels and a trailer hitch and was disgused to look like a modular home. It was discovered to be a manufactured home(trailer home) when the appraisor crawled under the home and saw the metel frame, axles and trailer home data plate..

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I dont think you have a double wide trailer. A modular is a real home built in exactly the same fashion as any other home. Except it is built in a factory and shipped in 2 or 4 sections. They will be 14' wide and anywhere from 24' up to 36' long. A crane drops the 2 lower levels together and then the 2 upper levels together to form a Colonial style or just a ranch with the twin lowers. There is no steel frame to cut off. There is no floor. Just framed sides that will lower onto a cement slab where it will be bolted or it will have floor joists if it is to be dropped onto a foundation with a basement.

Where the seams are the vinyl siding covers up so no hint of a seam is ever visable. On the inside the seam is just taped and spackeled over.

Average people can never tell the difference. Once complete the only hint that it was built in a factory is the center walls are from 8 to 12" thick. Thats it.

There is no law requiring a seller to disclose if a home is factory built.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:39 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Quote:
first of all. Im not an 'average' person. Im a professional engineer and run the construction department for a major University. The house I am talking about is a manufactured home (trailer home)and NOT a molular home. I already explained the difference. This home came on a metel frame with wheels and a trailer hitch and was disgused to look like a modular home. It was discovered to be a manufactured home(trailer home) when the appraisor crawled under the home and saw the metel frame, axles and trailer home data plate..

Oh my!! That's awful!!

Some people just have too much nerve, I guess. Sorry you went through this and yes, there are many honest people left, it's just the dishonest ones you hear about more often.

Hope you have better luck in the future.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:58 AM

thanks..... I hope so too

Old 12-23-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
first of all. Im not an 'average' person. Im a professional engineer and run the construction department for a major University. The house I am talking about is a manufactured home (trailer home)and NOT a molular home. I already explained the difference. This home came on a metel frame with wheels and a trailer hitch and was disgused to look like a modular home. It was discovered to be a manufactured home(trailer home) when the appraiser crawled under the home and saw the metel frame, axles and trailer home data plate..
Based on my more then 30 years in the construction industry and building hundreds of homes, most of which are in Morris and Sussex counties, I have a real real real hard time believing your an Engineer based on what you just told us.

Modulars and mobiles are structurally built so differently that one does not need an Engineers degree to see the difference. And your telling us a Real Estate Appraiser noticed it? A Real Estate Appraiser knows zero or less then zero on construction methods. They take facts and figures based on comparables and use their experience to form an opinion of value. They are hired by Banks and Realtors to name a few.

I or anyone in the home building industry can tell the difference between modular and mobile from the street without ever having to get out of their car. A modular will be dropped directly on slab or foundation. A mobile will sit on piers and will be skirted. This is the case 100% of the time. Bar none.

Old 12-23-2008, 02:05 PM

what I told you were facts. Whether you choose to believe or not.
Oh and btw- I am a professional Engineer. Want my pa license number too?
Like I told you .. twice.. but I don't think you are comprehending it.. The mobile home was built to *look* like a modular. In fact it deceived 2 realtors and myself.. until someone crawled under it.. In fact, the township does not allow manufactured homes and somehow its there.. It was built on a concrete foundation and the plate was removed.

Quote:
Based on my more then 30 years in the construction industry and building hundreds of homes, most of which are in Morris and Sussex counties, I have a real real real hard time believing your an Engineer based on what you just told us.

Modulars and mobiles are structurally built so differently that one does not need an Engineers degree to see the difference. And your telling us a Real Estate Appraiser noticed it? A Real Estate Appraiser knows zero or less then zero on construction methods. They take facts and figures based on comparables and use their experience to form an opinion of value. They are hired by Banks and Realtors to name a few.

I or anyone in the home building industry can tell the difference between modular and mobile from the street without ever having to get out of their car. A modular will be dropped directly on slab or foundation. A mobile will sit on piers and will be skirted. This is the case 100% of the time. Bar none.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:15 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:

Modular or Mobile?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey