U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 07:04 AM

7 posts, read 20,535 times

Advertisements

Chatham, Madison, Millburn NJ fits the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 07:53 AM

604 posts, read 2,586,036 times
Bridgewater TWP homes from 300's to 2Mil .Location,Location.Location. Get a NJ map find Bridgewater in central NJ and I dare anybody to find a more convenient location. Bridgewater is 1 hr to NYC, 1 hr to the Poconos, 1 hr to the Jersey shore.

E

Old 11-05-2007, 07:37 AM

964 posts, read 2,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Hello, first time on here. I was hoping for some guidance.

Can anyone name some towns in NJ that meet the following requirements:

1) about one hour - 1.5 hours (without traffic) to NY/Queens area
2) upper middle -higher end area with great property values, larger homes
3) sewer system preferably
4) amazing school system
5) safe!
6) beautiful family oriented town, well kept houses
7) at least half acre or acre properties
8) community feel
9) not bordering bad towns, a good town sandwiched b/w other good towns
10) not near industry, enviromental hazard type areas
11) pretty quiet
12) not congested
13) cute village/shopping area would be nice
14) not too far from malls, restaurants, etc
15) price range anything under high 900's
15) taxes generally not more than 17,000
16) IGpools allowed
17) high predominance of professionals
18) Christian/Catholic predominance or slightly mixed19) not near any landfills/sewage tx plants
20) not prone to flooding
21) some young families or young families moving in

Whew, that is a tall order...does such a town exist?

I am really lost when it comes to NJ. The only parts I know are Atlantic City and the NJ Shore area. But I want to learn more.

Thanks !
A lot of great recommendations here. I read through your list and Montvale jumped out at me. I have a few friends who lived there, and have had several look (and ultimately buy). I think it today's marketplace, 900k gets it done. The neighborhoods I am thinking of are around/behind the high school. Nice houses, nice land, nice neighborhood, and it's got pretty much everything else on your list.

I've never lived there, but have spent a lot of time there. Good luck.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:49 AM

510 posts, read 1,547,838 times
Check out Warren, Somerset county, Great town, nice neighborhoods and great schools. Most property sizes are 1.5 acres.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:53 PM

168 posts, read 1,057,586 times
Summit if you want a small house. $900K won't get you in high-end housing there but it's a fabulous town which satisfies everything you're saying. To me, a lot of the towns being mentioned do not fill the "amazing school system" request. Only a few towns have that, of which Summit is one.

Mainly Christian-that's an odd request to me. I have no idea what the religious beliefs are of most people, nor do I really care. There are churches everywhere, in every town, so I'm sure you could find like-minded people.

I'd also check out Chatham, Madison, and Westfield (though I prefer, in this order, Summit, Chatham, Madison)

Old 11-05-2007, 05:58 PM

5,370 posts, read 10,128,606 times
I think Newark fits the bill.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:48 AM

53 posts, read 196,118 times
North edison for sure

Old 12-06-2007, 09:55 PM

71 posts, read 285,088 times
I would say, without thinking of another town, Ridgewood. It is in Bergen County, the most affluent in the state. You want good schools, these are the best. You want a town, with a charming, stylish main street which includes shops like Happy Tuesday, or Mango Jam, which are eclectic little gift shops, to The Gap, and Lucky Brand Jeans, to High End home interior shops, jewelry stores, and the best, and I mean THE BEST restaurants in the county. The night life on "Ridgewood Avenue" is a charming mix of adult couples taking in a flick at the Theater, and dinner at Marra's, It's Greek to Me, or Sakura Bana, and teenagers grabbing a coffee at the Starbucks or Ice Cream at Haagen Dazs, and buying some unique clothing at Marcia's Attic or Sweet Feet.

There is a county park in town, which we refer to as "The Duck Pond" - which you will find seniors walking the 1/4 mile track around the pond, and moms and preschoolers playing on the playground. There is a "Bark Park" for the dogs and the BEST place in town to take a run, with a paved trail that runs from Ridgewood into Glen Rock, through Fair Lawn and Saddle Brook.

There is a Bike Shop, a Ben & Jerry's, Three of the finest supermarkets you could ask for, including Kings - for the gourmet, Stop and Shop for the Everyman, and Whole Foods for the crunchy crowd. There is a Hospital in town. The Valley Hospital. It is one of the finest Hospitals in the State.

A big commuter Village, we have an historic train station, with yet another Starbucks, and a French Bakery. There is even "Ridgewood Taxi" company, one of the few such services left in Bergen County.

There are many Christian Churches of every denomination, as well as an excellent Unitarian Universalist church. Ridgewood has some gorgeous homes in the lower section, and once you cross the railroad tracks, you ascend to the really amazing homes inhabited by the ultra swanky celebs, typically sports figures and soap opera stars. Even Catherine Zeta and fam has a home here.

A very very spirited community, Ridgewood hosts the local fireworks display and Big 4th Party each year, with thousands from surrounding towns descending upon it to partake of the merrymaking!

Christmas time, the town is lit up, with a beautiful Tree, and town decorations. The tree lighting is an annual happening that everyone looks forward to.

There are some bronze statues around the town that have been donated by a local benefactor. There are art galleries, and designers.

As far as the surrounding/bordering towns, you have:
Ho Ho Kus on one side, which is a very affluent town, with only a very small main street area. beautiful tho!
Saddle River, next to Ho Ho Kus, borders Ridgewood too, and is the home of Run DMC, Kimora Lee Simmons, Wyclef Jean, and many authors, artists, and ridiculously wealthy people in BIG giant mansions and winding hills.
Paramus, is a light blue collar town, that wants to be as rich as Ridgewood, but doesn't quite make it. It is however, the shopping capital of the state of NJ. Paramus has the MALLS of your dreams. Garden State Plaza, with Neiman Marcus, and Nordstrom, Louis Vuitton, Free people, Lucky Jeans, Banana Republic, BeBe, Lacoste, Coach, Tommy Hilfiger, Abercrombie, etc. etc etc. Then Paramus has three other malls, as well as restauranty type places like Applebees and Pizza Hut, car dealers like Hummer, Jaguar, Mercedes, etc. There is anything you want in Paramus, just not culture or interesting houses.

Then there is Glen Rock, which is a veryyyy nice, mild, happy wealthy town. It is like a mini Ridgewood. It is Ridgewood's little brother. It is practically identical, but just not as good. The shopping and the restaurants in Glen Rock are on par, but there is like two restaurants, and one starbucks and a couple of nice shops. A train station, a grocery store, and a bunch of really pretty 1930's houses, perfectly restored.

Then there is Midland Park. It is probably the 'worst' town bordering Ridgewood, and its still a pretty nice town. No crime, and very nice, nice homes, start at about $375k, nothing cheaper there. There is a Kings, and a few nice stores, but no real Main street anymore. It suffers from sprawl just a little.

And that's it. All pretty nice. I have two sisters that live there, and they wouldn't move if you paid them. My sister is an interior decorator, and she barely has to drive 5 miles to see her clients every day.

As for the houses, there is only one section to avoid, called "The Lawns." It is a post war development, sort of "added on" to the town. Just about 100 cape cod houses, that used to all look the same, but at this point, people have expanded and renovated them all. This area is at the southeastern tip of the town, which borders Paramus. It is practically Paramus. Its the same type of area. These houses start at about $450k on up to $625.

In the town area, the houses are all Historical, built around late 1800's to early 1900's. All gorgeous, and exceedingly well maintained, with every attention to detail. These homes run from $695 - 995k.

The homes over the hill, run from a million up. There are a few areas of townhouses, but two, I think. That's it. There are a few garden apartments located on Ridgewood Avenue, closer to the High School. The High School is beautiful, by the way.

I'm sure there is more I have not mentioned, and if I could afford it I would be living there again. I used to live in the Lawns, in about 1992. Now I live 3 towns over, but I am there all the time.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:49 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,266,706 times
Colts Neck would seem to fit the bill. But, as someone stated earlier, 900k might not get too much. You could definitely find a decent home, though. It is sandwiched between Marlboro, Holmdel, and Freehold. Three great towns. It's close to the beach and shopping. Most homes have lots of property (Colts Neck has many horse farms).
There's no downtown, but Freehold Boro and Red Bank have great downtowns and each is only a few minutes away.

The Catholic Church there is very active (St.Mary's) as is the Reformed Church.

It is a safe town with a very good school system.

I like Colts Neck as opposed to Holmdel because it still feels like a community. Holmdel (although gorgeous) is huge, with hwy, and lots of townhomes. Just personal opinion.

Good luck in your search!

Old 12-07-2007, 09:41 AM

604 posts, read 2,586,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyOnTheMove View Post
I would say, without thinking of another town, Ridgewood. It is in Bergen County, the most affluent in the state.
Somerset County is the most affluent in NJ if that's what you are looking for, We have Far Hills (old money) and Manville (very little money) and every price range in between, and best of all just like all the realtors say we have Location, Location, Location.
No other County can top that.

E
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or