U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2007, 09:55 AM
 
Location: High Bridge
2,736 posts, read 8,546,636 times
Reputation: 665

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
Somerset County is the most affluent in NJ if that's what you are looking for, We have Far Hills (old money) and Manville (very little money) and every price range in between, and best of all just like all the realtors say we have Location, Location, Location.
No other County can top that.

E
Per capita, its:
Somerset county
Morris County
Hunterdon County
Bergen County

Per household, its:
Hunterdon County
Morris County
Somerset County
Bergen County

Per capita difference (1st to 4th) is $4k
Per household difference (1st to 4th) is $15k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2007, 10:06 AM
 
Location: NJ
12,284 posts, read 30,944,500 times
Reputation: 5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by emanon View Post
Somerset County is the most affluent in NJ if that's what you are looking for, We have Far Hills (old money) and Manville (very little money) and every price range in between, and best of all just like all the realtors say we have Location, Location, Location.
No other County can top that.

E
them's be fightin words!

morris, somerset and hunterdon toggle back and forth in these stats (cucullin pointed that out quite nicely). also, morris has equal "location, location, location", LOL.

i do agree while bergen, no doubt wealthy, is not near the wealthiest - it usually falls around 20th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2007, 11:11 AM
 
687 posts, read 2,911,238 times
Reputation: 142
Quote:
I like Colts Neck as opposed to Holmdel because it still feels like a community. Holmdel (although gorgeous) is huge, with hwy, and lots of townhomes. Just personal opinion.
ITA. We're in Colts Neck temporarily and love it. Holmdel has some wonderful homes, but it really seems to sprawl, doesn't it?

I just learned much of Colts Neck has incredibly stringent minimum size lot restrictions, which has helped it maintain its feel. Where we are the minimum lot size is 5 acres. I fear we'll be missing that when we move to our third of an acre in Marlboro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2007, 11:41 AM
 
Location: 3219'03.7"N 10643'55.9"W
7,962 posts, read 16,775,537 times
Reputation: 6912
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Per capita, its:
Somerset county
Morris County
Hunterdon County
Bergen County

Per household, its:
Hunterdon County
Morris County
Somerset County
Bergen County

Per capita difference (1st to 4th) is $4k
Per household difference (1st to 4th) is $15k.
Per Capita:

Per Household:

Last edited by mike0421; 12-07-2007 at 11:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2007, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Jersey Shore
1,574 posts, read 4,267,277 times
Reputation: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post
ITA. We're in Colts Neck temporarily and love it. Holmdel has some wonderful homes, but it really seems to sprawl, doesn't it?

I just learned much of Colts Neck has incredibly stringent minimum size lot restrictions, which has helped it maintain its feel. Where we are the minimum lot size is 5 acres. I fear we'll be missing that when we move to our third of an acre in Marlboro.
Not to get too OT, but why the move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2007, 02:30 PM
 
Location: Martinsville, NJ
604 posts, read 2,586,359 times
Reputation: 267
While the maps clearly show that Hunterdon, Somerset, and Morris counties are the more affluent in the state, they are also in the best locations travel wise. Clearly Somerset and Morris are located closer to the city where the BIG money jobs are. Somerset has the edge in proximity to points South, Morris points North and Hunterdon points West. But overall just by looking at the map Somerset seems to be the best centrally located County especially Eastern Somerset County where Warren and Bridgewater are located.

I don't understand why out of the area buyers ask where the best place to live is when the first thing they should do is buy a map. Decide which area you want to live in and then start asking question.

E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2007, 05:13 PM
 
Location: NJ/NY
9,620 posts, read 9,471,712 times
Reputation: 6744
Funny thing is when I look at real estate in these counties, I would get so much more land and house for my money than I do in West Essex. In fact, I have a friend that built in Mendham for almost the same price I paid to build in my town. He has 2 acres vs my .39 acre and has 1500 square feet more house than I do. I wonder how much the maps would change if West Essex were allowed to split from East Essex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2007, 07:16 AM
 
687 posts, read 2,911,238 times
Reputation: 142
Quote:
Not to get too OT, but why the move?
It doesn't make sense for someone to leave CN, right? We sold our house in Sayreville and are renting a house in CN from friends until the new house we're building is done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2007, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Jersey Shore
1,574 posts, read 4,267,277 times
Reputation: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliann1977 View Post
It doesn't make sense for someone to leave CN, right? We sold our house in Sayreville and are renting a house in CN from friends until the new house we're building is done.


True about moving out of CN. Our friends and family thought we were crazy to leave for NC.

Marlboro is beautiful. I pray you have many wonderful years of love and laughter in your soon to be home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2007, 02:28 PM
 
1,896 posts, read 5,990,516 times
Reputation: 567
Thanks for the replies everyone. Such great info! I haven't checked this thread in a while so that is why I am replying late.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top