Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 06:50 PM

123 posts, read 345,128 times

Advertisements

We are looking into a couple of career opportunities in the Mount Laurel, NJ area. I don't know anything at all about the area outside of a few Google searches. I'm hoping to get some local incite on the living and relocating to the area. We are a lesbian couple starting a family. We have lived in Southern California & New England. I would really love to find a community that is welcoming of new people and has lots of opportunities to become part of the local community.

We would like to find a city/towns with LBGT friendly & diverse neighborhoods that are fitting for professionals & families alike. Preferably with good schools (public/charter/secular private,) ideally with local parks, community centers/recreation opportunities, restaurants/bars/coffee house, and shops in walking distance. We also enjoy attending soccer games, theater, concerts, and such. Easy access to the city for weekends... in someways it would be nice to be close to NY city. But a cool local little city/town might work for use as well.
Of course affordable housing (3bed, 2bath, yard & garage under $400,000 or $500,000) is important also. But we are willing to play the give and take game, and understand that we might not get everything on our wish list.
So, any areas come to mind?

What are some pros and cons of the area in your book? Things we might want to consider about the area(s)?

Please only constructive information, posts and feed back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 06:53 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,158,204 times
My father lives in Mount Laurel- I think he holds onto the house because my stepmother passed away, and he can't bring himself to leave it now ....

It's not the nicest area ...

Old 07-19-2012, 07:13 PM

123 posts, read 345,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
My father lives in Mount Laurel- I think he holds onto the house because my stepmother passed away, and he can't bring himself to leave it now ....

It's not the nicest area ...
In what ways is it "not nice"? How are the some of the surrounding towns?

Old 07-19-2012, 08:29 PM

128 posts, read 355,002 times
You might get more response by posting in the South Jersey forum. Mount Laurel is a very nice area ... very residential, lots of subdivisions. You have to drive to get to everything and there really is no "downtown area". So it depends on what you are looking for. If you want a walkable downtown feel, then you might want to consider Haddonfield, Collingswood or Moorestown. If you are more concerned with schools then stick with Haddonfield or Moorestown. You should be able to find a place on your budget. I am a local Realtor (based in Mount Laurel actually), I will send you a DM.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:36 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,478 times
Mt. Laurel is a nice town. If you post in the New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia thread, you'll get much more useful responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey