U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,005 times

Advertisements

I look at this way if you have to many cars that you can not fit them in your driveway or in front of your own house get rid of some; common sense.. Your neighbors would like room in front of their own house for their guests!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 12:52 PM

1,414 posts, read 809,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Ea View Post
I look at this way if you have to many cars that you can not fit them in your driveway or in front of your own house get rid of some; common sense.. Your neighbors would like room in front of their own house for their guests!!
I have a similar situation to the OP. I have two cars, both of which fit in my long but skinny driveway. My neighbor has 5 driving-age girls. I think they each have a car, but not sure- there are at least 7 cars in that household. there are boyfriends over often too, so more cars. He can park up to 3 or 4 cars in his long skinny driveway, but would require lots of planning regarding who needs their car when. So, they end up just putting two in the driveway and scatter the rest around.

One always ends up in front of my house, and one in front of my other neighbor's house. It's very frustrating when I need to swap the order of my cars, since I can't just pull out and park in front of the house (or even nearby), I have to get two people involved and drive around the block.

Our street has a 3 hour limit from 7-7 except on weekends, so I make sure to park my car on the street on Friday nights and leave it there all weekend since we use my wife's car during the weekends (it's bigger since she doesn't drive much).

Anyway, no point to my post other than to say that I sympathize with the OP. Actually I sympathize with the neighbor too- 5 girls plus a wife in the house, I'm sure the cars are the least of his worries!

Old 01-12-2016, 02:26 PM

9,642 posts, read 9,479,590 times
It's hard for me to believe that this is such an issue that the thread was started in the first place, let alone revived.

Maybe I just can't relate because I live in one of the many, many towns in NJ that doesn't allow overnight parking, so this is never an issue. But if a town doesn't have such a law, then people can park wherever they want. The street is not private property, it belongs to everyone.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:31 PM

865 posts, read 882,790 times
I will hold my comment until 2021, in case this thread dies.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:56 PM

22,724 posts, read 21,779,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Maybe its because I grew up in a shore town there was ALWAYS cars parked in front of our house in the summer. This is not something to get worked up about. Now if they are doing donuts on your lawn, yes. Its a public right of way and there is nothing illegal. When you have 2 parents and a couple driving age kids even a ample driveway can get loaded up. With work and school schedules many times the street makes sense. I think most people would prefer parking in garage or their own driveway.

My ex wife used to get worked up about neighbors guests parking in front of our house when they had a party. I always thought it was something silly to worry about.

If you want no one parking in front of your house move to the country.
Once when I was parking in front of someone's house in a shore town, I hadn't even turned off the car and saw the owner walking quickly across the lawn in my direction. I knew I was in for some trouble. Nope. He asked me to pull closer to the car in front of me so that a third car could fit between driveways.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 568 times
Sometimes people are just being selfish and have no common sense/courtesy that they rather park in front of someone else's house and save their spot in front of their house or driveway for their friends or relatives. Those people can't think straight and don't really know or care about what's right from wrong. It is a headache living close to them. Of course some times people don't really do it on purpose, but if after being told about the problem they should move their car and park in front of their own house. Yes, once in a while if they have a party, their guests can park in front of the neighbors' houses and it's ok, but parking in front of someone else house regularly in order to save a space in front of their house is really selfish and don't have any common sense or don't know what's right from wrong.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:06 AM

593 posts, read 353,855 times
you do not own the space in front of your house, so it is a free for all, when they move the car park your car there.

Old 02-23-2017, 04:51 AM

1,202 posts, read 685,201 times
Suburb problems.

I'm happy if I can find a spot within a 2 block radius of where I live.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:10 AM

593 posts, read 353,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
I have a similar situation to the OP. I have two cars, both of which fit in my long but skinny driveway. My neighbor has 5 driving-age girls. I think they each have a car, but not sure- there are at least 7 cars in that household. there are boyfriends over often too, so more cars. He can park up to 3 or 4 cars in his long skinny driveway, but would require lots of planning regarding who needs their car when. So, they end up just putting two in the driveway and scatter the rest around.

One always ends up in front of my house, and one in front of my other neighbor's house. It's very frustrating when I need to swap the order of my cars, since I can't just pull out and park in front of the house (or even nearby), I have to get two people involved and drive around the block.

Our street has a 3 hour limit from 7-7 except on weekends, so I make sure to park my car on the street on Friday nights and leave it there all weekend since we use my wife's car during the weekends (it's bigger since she doesn't drive much).

Anyway, no point to my post other than to say that I sympathize with the OP. Actually I sympathize with the neighbor too- 5 girls plus a wife in the house, I'm sure the cars are the least of his worries!
guy across the street has 7 cars in his family, but street parking us up for grabs and nobody owns the spot in front of their house, although many people do think this.

Old 02-25-2017, 11:22 AM

29 posts, read 13,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post

Now - NOT using your driveway just to park on the street, thereby taking parking away from those who need it? that's rude, IMHO. i lived in a house where I had no driveway, yet neighbors would leave their driveways empty and park in front of their house just so I couldn't (and yes, I confronted them, that's how I know this).
IMO communities (aware people at least) , and I mean from smaller regions to larger areas like city,borough,state, should organize themselves to try to remotely educate other members about rules and regulations but sometimes simple ethics too. Facebook is a great tool and it does not have to be about single subject every time. Such groups may be a good start for being more involved in life / regional affairs from cities up to states. Politicians in USA drove far far away from citizens from what I've heard, read and experienced too. After all democracy was and is "rule of the commoners" not officials. IMO right, left and even in-between has not that much to do with it as we apply it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or