U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 11:26 AM

1,944 posts, read 1,038,167 times

Advertisements

On a much happier note, one of the many ways that one of our neighbors makes his living is by transporting small yachts and boats. I think mainly from marinas to people's homes and back so that they don't have to pay for storage over the winter. So a few times a month he parks his pick up track with a boat on a special trailer across the street from our house. On the other side of the street, he is careful to park between houses.

As far as I know, no one has complained. One reason might be that this guy is very nice to everyone and does his best to be helpful to neighbors. Also, the boats he transports are interesting to look at and breaks monotony of what the typical NJ middle class suburban town. My son loves looking at them and has occasionally asked when he would bring his boats again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 08:10 PM

779 posts, read 364,566 times
I don't get this parking thing, my neighbor gets all pissy because I park too close to his "driveway".
The only other spots are almost 2 houses away. I was only in front of his "driveway" by less then a foot. Ridiculous.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:01 PM

6 posts, read 20,124 times
The road in front of people's homes are supposed to be equally shared and not to be taken over the entire road by anyone. You should have common sense and be considerate when you share anything with anyone. The road is the common property for residents to share the parking spaces TEMPORARILY when they have visitors coming over once in awhile. It is not the public parking lot like at the mall or any business shopping centers. Normal people should know that it's the residential area and should not regularly park in front of other people's houses to block the traffic or the city pick up trucks for picking up trash, garbage, recycling, or mail delivery; and think that it's ok to take over the entire road themselves. They should park the cars in their garage, driveway, or in front of their house. Yes, sometimes if they have a party and need some parking spaces, then they can park in front of other houses temporary, but not regularly. Have common sense and be considerate when you share anything with other people, and not trying to take control over the whole thing.

Last edited by john050201; 08-25-2017 at 01:55 PM..

Old 08-25-2017, 03:15 PM

1,041 posts, read 2,441,074 times
i moved to a new home at the end of a culdesac. Not only does my neighbor park in front of my home, they park perpendicular to the curb. Since its a culdesac, i guess they figure n one would care. I can't lie, it annoys the $h!t out of me.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:32 AM

9,598 posts, read 9,467,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStarksNJ View Post
i moved to a new home at the end of a culdesac. Not only does my neighbor park in front of my home, they park perpendicular to the curb. Since its a culdesac, i guess they figure n one would care. I can't lie, it annoys the $h!t out of me.
I still don't get it. I live on a culdesac and everyone on my street parks in their own driveway. The only people ever parked in the street are guests of people living on the street.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:27 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,973,360 times
I can't park legally on my side of the street. The guy across from me parks in the street in such a way that no one can ever park in front of his house. He has plenty of driveway room but parks in the street. If we have company our guests have to park illegally. Luckily the cops don't go down our street too often or enforce it. He got all pissy when I parked in front of his house once.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:24 PM

4,680 posts, read 2,296,137 times
I had a driveway where I lived so I didn't really care if people parked in front of my house. I knew parking was tight there. The only time I spoke to a neighbor was when he got in the habit of leaving his big, gassy truck idling. Seemed like the exhaust would always come straight into my kitchen while I was making breakfast.

The thing with parking in front of my house, though, was people could fit only exactly 3 cars between my driveway and the driveway to the left and exactly 2 cars between my driveway and the driveway to my right.

My front yard was fenced and my driveway was so narrow, if any car was hanging even a bumper over my driveway, I wouldn't be able to get out without doing some serious damage to my car or someone else's. I think I had almost 20 cars towed one summer because I couldn't get out of my yard to get to work. I wanted to sink two cement posts in on either side of my driveway, but the city wouldn't let me.

This was all because of the house across the street and the many visitors they had stay over at night. Once that house was sold, I never had any more problems with the parking.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:17 AM

340 posts, read 163,117 times
A month after buying our shore home, we had several guests over and I parked my car down the street to free up parking in our driveway. The next day my car had long scratches all over both sides. I asked the neighbors and everyone pointed the finger at the thug family whose house I parked in front of. I confronted them and I can't repeat what they said on this board. The cops couldn't do anything since there was no hard evidence, but they knew that family well and didn't doubt they were the culprits. I put three cameras in front of my house and made it clear to them that they are the reason we have cameras. Never had an issue with them since in the past few years, but $2k worth of damage to my car was a clear message to not park in front of their house. I don't recommend damaging someone's car to get the message across, at least not to a first-time offender Unfortunately that message was loud and clear to me and I never parked there again and instruct guests to not park there. Instead we expanded our driveway to include parking behind our backyard fence.

The thug family had a dead car in the street that leaked oil everywhere. To stick it to them I filed a complaint with the town about that vehicle and they were forced to have it towed. I would have left it alone if they left me alone.

Old 08-27-2017, 01:23 PM

22,702 posts, read 21,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubicle Dweller View Post
A month after buying our shore home, we had several guests over and I parked my car down the street to free up parking in our driveway. The next day my car had long scratches all over both sides. I asked the neighbors and everyone pointed the finger at the thug family whose house I parked in front of. I confronted them and I can't repeat what they said on this board. The cops couldn't do anything since there was no hard evidence, but they knew that family well and didn't doubt they were the culprits. I put three cameras in front of my house and made it clear to them that they are the reason we have cameras. Never had an issue with them since in the past few years, but $2k worth of damage to my car was a clear message to not park in front of their house. I don't recommend damaging someone's car to get the message across, at least not to a first-time offender Unfortunately that message was loud and clear to me and I never parked there again and instruct guests to not park there. Instead we expanded our driveway to include parking behind our backyard fence.

The thug family had a dead car in the street that leaked oil everywhere. To stick it to them I filed a complaint with the town about that vehicle and they were forced to have it towed. I would have left it alone if they left me alone.
That's terrible! Someone damaged your car because you parked in front of their house one night?

There's no street parking allowed where I currently live, but whenever a neighbor has a party, they're parked on both sides. I don't care. They'll all be gone late or by tomorrow. If you don't block me in, I don't care.

Old 08-27-2017, 09:36 PM

340 posts, read 163,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That's terrible! Someone damaged your car because you parked in front of their house one night?
Yep - their way of welcoming new neighbors Perhaps it was just the kids in that house goofing off without realizing the consequences of the damage, but I felt violated. Also I've seen these kids throwing rocks at a neighbor's cat so they're not beneath animal cruelty. That particular summer their uncle who just got out of prison was babysitting so I'm sure he was a great influence. The past year or two the kids seem to be doing better (fingers crossed). Nonetheless, I still won't park anywhere near their house since I'm well aware of the potential consequences. And they know not to go near my house since they'll be recorded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or