U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:36 AM

2,310 posts, read 4,813,326 times

Advertisements

Can you park on the street at all when it snows? The front of our house in on a sidestreet and the side is on a main road. I noticed a sign that says you cannot park on the main road if it snows. Would there also be a sign on the sidestreet if you had to get your car off that street?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 10:00 AM

5,340 posts, read 12,342,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
honestly, i find this weird. where i grew up, you RARELY got to park in front your own house - wherever you found a spot, that's where you parked, whether it was in front of your neighbor's house, or 2 blocks away (not uncommon).

Now - NOT using your driveway just to park on the street, thereby taking parking away from those who need it? that's rude, IMHO. i lived in a house where I had no driveway, yet neighbors would leave their driveways empty and park in front of their house just so I couldn't (and yes, I confronted them, that's how I know this). in the off chance the spot was available and i'd take it, they'd jump out and reclaim it when i left for work. gimme a break.

growing up after a snowstorm my neighbors would put cones up in the spots they shoveled out so noone would park there. my dad would move the cones and park . He didn't put up cones where HE shoveled, and it's public property.

i'll probably be the lone dissentor on this subject, but when you're in an urban area, you can't be expect the same level of "privacy" (for lack of a better word) than in a more suburban/rural area. I'm not sure how Teaneck is, so YMMV.
SOOO with you on this one Tahiti. I grew up in JC and exactly, if you found a spot 12 blocks away, you were giddy with delight. And the street IS public not private property and those SNOWSTORM Cones. OMG. I wanted to shove them someplace very uncomfortable. Growing up in the city is CONSTANT stress.

Now, it's different in the 'burbs... but reality is you don't own the space in front of your house. Bottom line.

Friends of mine who are police officers tell me they get calls on this all the time and they are like "sorry, but that's life."

Old 08-28-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
Sure the street is public, but wouldn't it be nice if neighbors could be considerate?
Oh, yeah, I agree. But I've long given up on most of the human race being anything but jerks. LOL

Old 08-28-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight114 View Post
We live in a multi family home and soon after we moved in the neighbors across the street left a note on my husband's car saying "it would be nice if you parked in front of your own home"...I thought it was incredibly rude and went to their home to address the issue but they were not there and i didnt feel like pressing the issue further. We own two cars, the landlords own two and a work vehicle. The people upstairs also own a car. It is IMPOSSIBLE for us to only park in front of our home and we will always be in front of someones home.they have a two car garage, it was really just uncalled for IMO...
When I was first married I lived in a multi-family home on a block that was mostly 2-3 family houses. Initially there was really no parking problem. You didn't always get the spot in front of your house, but you got a spot darn close. Most owners kept their cars in the driveways and the renters found spots pretty easily. The one old WITCH accross the street, who owned her home and driveway and 2 car garage but NEVER parked her car in them, used to really think she owned the space in front of her house. Whenever we'd park there she'd be banging on the window of her appartment to yell at us. One day, I came out and she had poured mustard all over my new car. That' was it... I'm very civilized, but I didn't survive JC by being MEEK. LOL I went POSTAL on the woman and then I charged her with vandalism. (2 neighbors were witnesses that she did it.)

Her son called me and said I was a biyatch because I was bothering his "old" mother. I told him his old mother was psycho and should not be vandalizing cars. So I called the police again, they called the son and said calling me and cursing at me was HARASSMENT and to back off before he was charged too.

Oh, I miss those days... LOL not.

Old 08-28-2008, 10:17 AM

The worst I ever saw was Downeck in Newark. I had a friend there in college. I was living in JC working at a restaurant in HOboken, I'd come home at 2:00 AM and I'd literally look for a spot for 3 hours. Sometimes I'd just fall asleep in my car. No joke. But then I visited a college buddy in Downneck and man, they were parked 2 deep there. DOUBLE parked and they'd be blocked in and no one even knew whose car it was. CRAZY.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:00 AM

730 posts, read 2,543,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Let me clarify, If you are cant afford your own parking spot or garage, you are living the life of ghetto parking!>!>!>!>!
This makes no sense. My mother lives in a beautiful townhome community on LI. There are cars parked there because many people have more than 1 car and the driveways are small.

I lived in a gated townhome community in NJ and the situatioin was the same there.

So what you are saying is that if you live someplace with cars parked on the street that is "GHETTO" parking? Rediculous.

Old 08-28-2008, 11:17 AM

563 posts, read 1,112,286 times
Moral of this story: We own too many cars, sell a few

Old 08-28-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Sebring View Post
Moral of this story: We own too many cars, sell a few
Seriously though!

Old 08-28-2008, 12:08 PM

2,310 posts, read 4,813,326 times
If I may...I think by ghetto parking he means:

- Whipping U-turns to get a spot, the ONLY spot on the block before someone snatches it out from under you
- Screeching around people to steal a spot (to usually come back and find your car keyed as punishment)
- Setting your alarm clock and going out in your pajamas to move your car for alternate side
- Giving the old retired guy on your block the keys to your car so HE can move your car while you're at work - for the NEXT day's alternate side
- Parking 10 blocks away from your house and hanging 15 bags of groceries along your forearms so you only have to take one trip
- Refusing to use your car for a week because you got "a good spot".

I don't think these are issues you face in a gated community. Pretty much any issues people face from living stacked on top of each other don't apply to people living in gated communities.

Old 08-28-2008, 02:12 PM

OMG I am SOOOO glad I left Jersey City 18 yrs ago! LOL! Irish Eyes, you brought it ALL back to me.

My grandpa standing at the window yelling "HURRY! So and so is moving their car and it's in front of the house! Go get your car now!" LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or