Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 03:49 PM

730 posts, read 2,879,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
If I may...I think by ghetto parking he means:

- Whipping U-turns to get a spot, the ONLY spot on the block before someone snatches it out from under you
- Screeching around people to steal a spot (to usually come back and find your car keyed as punishment)
- Setting your alarm clock and going out in your pajamas to move your car for alternate side
- Giving the old retired guy on your block the keys to your car so HE can move your car while you're at work - for the NEXT day's alternate side
- Parking 10 blocks away from your house and hanging 15 bags of groceries along your forearms so you only have to take one trip
- Refusing to use your car for a week because you got "a good spot".

I don't think these are issues you face in a gated community. Pretty much any issues people face from living stacked on top of each other don't apply to people living in gated communities.
I suppose I am taking offense mostly to the phrase "Ghetto Parking" when in reality it should be "Urban Parking". I lived (rented) in a gated community for one year. I lived in Long Island City, Astoria, Manhattan and now Jersey City (oh the horror) and I don't particularly consider any of the areas I lived in "Ghetto" I consider them Urban. It's just my personal preference to not throw the word Ghetto around. It's insulting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 04:03 PM

50,057 posts, read 46,553,810 times
Wow, I feel lucky not to have to deal with that. Even in the more stretched out communities we deal with some stuff like this. My neighbors got a new roommate that started to compete with me over the spot in front of my house cause he liked to hang an illegal u-bop into the cul-de-sac to go the other way. This got old quick so I started parking in front of their house. Didn't take long for the owner to ask why so I told him. Fixed.

Then later same thing. A guy in the cul-de-sac didn't want to inconvenience any of his neighbors so he started parking in front of my house as he could still see it. He had such pride in this old caddie it almost made me feel guilty to turn the heads on a couple sprinkler heads in the morning so it got his car wet :rofl:

After about a week of drying off his car with a towel he decided it was ok to park it where he couldn't see it

The reason I parked in front of mine is because I didn't want any other neighbor to have to stare at my big ol F350 or to try and see around it pulling out. It sure as heck wouldn't fit in the garage or driveway with my other car.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:52 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,542,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
I suppose I am taking offense mostly to the phrase "Ghetto Parking" when in reality it should be "Urban Parking". I lived (rented) in a gated community for one year. I lived in Long Island City, Astoria, Manhattan and now Jersey City (oh the horror) and I don't particularly consider any of the areas I lived in "Ghetto" I consider them Urban. It's just my personal preference to not throw the word Ghetto around. It's insulting.
Agreed...

Old 08-28-2008, 08:29 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,357,622 times
Ghetto/Urban..Its all interchangeable..Move out of either/or to a nicer area and you will see..

Old 08-28-2008, 08:45 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,346,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Ghetto/Urban..Its all interchangeable..Move out of either/or to a nicer area and you will see..
Ohhh my...

Old 08-28-2008, 08:59 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,456,843 times
Irish Eyes - you are so funny! I love your definition of real "ghetto" parking.

I am out of NJ now but I live in a very un-urban suburban area and there are tons of places to park and STILL people park in front of my house - these people have huge 3 car garages and driveways! And for some reason it annoys me! Even though the street is far away from the house!!! Must be the NJ in me.....

Old 08-28-2008, 09:13 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,153,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post

*goes to get some freshly popped popcorn*

This thread is more entertaining than the convention.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:22 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,346,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
*goes to get some freshly popped popcorn*

This thread is more entertaining than the convention.
Not sure how much that is saying tho...

Old 08-28-2008, 09:29 PM

8,873 posts, read 13,833,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
3 or 4 cars? That boggles my mind. That's like $32,000 a year spent on 2 tons of aluminum and plastic that just sits in the street or a parking lot for 21 hours a day.

Someone help me understand.
OK, I have a vehicle that I drive everyday. My DW has a car that she uses for work/shopping and such. We have a 2 door that gets driven for leisure (20 months old w/ 6K miles; doesn't know what inclement weather or a parking lot ding is). Then we have the former family car that DS drives. There ya' go... 4 cars. (When DD drives in the near future, we'll add another one to the fleet.)

Old 08-29-2008, 11:36 AM

2,729 posts, read 6,089,252 times
EEEPNJ - that's hysterical and now it's more hi tech. When meeting friends and calling them on their cell phone saying "WHERE are you. Ok come up third because there's a spot RIGHT in front"

Fairfax - The parking memories are still fresh for me because we just bought our house! The realtor was trying to point out the hardwood floors and we were gushing over the driveway. haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey