Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 01:00 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,800,371 times

Advertisements

I used to get yelled at for parking MY CAR IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE.................................... Neighbors complained they could not see when backing out of the driveway. Perhaps if they did not exit the driveway in reverse going 25mph. I stopped doing it and now they park there themselves.

I am very happy our town has a no parking on the street overnight ordinance.

we are also very lucky to have a 2 car wide driveway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 01:02 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,800,371 times
with regard to garbage, people are so dumb.

We put our recycling cans out, and people will throw anything in there. Dog crap is not recyclable last time I checked.

If the garbage can isn't there just throw in on my lawn.

Oh well.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:20 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,240,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
honestly, i find this weird. where i grew up, you RARELY got to park in front your own house - wherever you found a spot, that's where you parked, whether it was in front of your neighbor's house, or 2 blocks away (not uncommon).

Now - NOT using your driveway just to park on the street, thereby taking parking away from those who need it? that's rude, IMHO. i lived in a house where I had no driveway, yet neighbors would leave their driveways empty and park in front of their house just so I couldn't (and yes, I confronted them, that's how I know this). in the off chance the spot was available and i'd take it, they'd jump out and reclaim it when i left for work. gimme a break.

growing up after a snowstorm my neighbors would put cones up in the spots they shoveled out so noone would park there. my dad would move the cones and park . He didn't put up cones where HE shoveled, and it's public property.

i'll probably be the lone dissentor on this subject, but when you're in an urban area, you can't be expect the same level of "privacy" (for lack of a better word) than in a more suburban/rural area. I'm not sure how Teaneck is, so YMMV.
Agreed. I know Teaneck is quite suburban, but man, if I get a parking spot within THREE BLOCKS of my brownstone, I do the "dance of joy" (Perfect Strangers, anyone?)

Old 08-22-2008, 01:26 PM

197 posts, read 796,453 times
When i was 19 I used to park in front of my neighbors house across the street. There was no sidewalk on that side of the street, so naturally no curb. His front lawn ran down partially into the street. One day he made a comment to my grandfather that I was digging up a portion of his grass or smoothing it out, something of that sort. One morning before school I came out and had 2 flat tires, chocolate syrup, and egg all over my car. I was never able to prove who did it, but to this day I still have my doubts about who may have been behind it.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:40 PM

2,729 posts, read 6,089,728 times
I just moved here from NY so I haven't become civilized enough yet to care about their car getting dinged - I just don't want them to leave my recycling! It seems like the neighbors park in front of their own houses. I suspect that people that do park in front of mine sometimes are people who take the bus once in a while. We park in our driveway on the side of the house. I guess if the it becomes a problem I'll just park in front of the house myself so I know I have the right space for the garbage pickup.

Parking 3 measly blocks from your house?!? I lived in Bay Ridge and it was at least twice that. Just kidding, I do sympathize. When we closed on our house we said we bought a driveway with 3 bedrooms attached!

Old 08-22-2008, 01:46 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,240,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I just moved here from NY so I haven't become civilized enough yet to care about their car getting dinged - I just don't want them to leave my recycling! It seems like the neighbors park in front of their own houses. I suspect that people that do park in front of mine sometimes are people who take the bus once in a while. We park in our driveway on the side of the house. I guess if the it becomes a problem I'll just park in front of the house myself so I know I have the right space for the garbage pickup.

Parking 3 measly blocks from your house?!? I lived in Bay Ridge and it was at least twice that. Just kidding, I do sympathize. When we closed on our house we said we bought a driveway with 3 bedrooms attached!
Irish Eyes, re-read my post...if I find a spot within 3 blocks, it's a RARE event. Usually it's more like 6-10 blocks from my house. I've been to Bay Ridge plenty of times...Downtown JC is equally as bad as Bay Ridge.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:56 PM

2,729 posts, read 6,089,728 times
Carrying groceries is the worst, isn't it? We bought one of these to keep our hands from falling off..

Home (http://grocerybaghandle.com/index.html - broken link)

Old 08-22-2008, 03:33 PM

3,403 posts, read 4,434,659 times
Just talk to them about it. If that doesn't work, start planting nails.

Old 08-22-2008, 05:13 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,357,874 times
I did not miss parking on street at all while in JC. I would never,ever live in any area again where streets are littered with cars. ghetto style livin is what I called it.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:30 PM

741 posts, read 3,502,088 times
My mother would get so worked up over the people who lived across the street parking in front of her house. First it was only the retired father living there alone, parking in his 2 car driveway. But, then his daughter got divorced and moved in with him with her 3 kids who all were driving. They would park blocking half her driveway so they could make room for their friends. They started fighting over this, then one day we were all going out of town, and Me, living somewhere else, parked in front of my mothers house, so I could catch a ride with her, came back after our trip and my car was completely covered in eggs, shells and all. Apparently, they didn't like the idea of a car parked there taking up a space for them.

My mother and her husband went balistic. This was a Holy F bomb fiasco in the middle of the street. With me standing there saying WTF??!!! Oh the memories.

p.s. You know who you are in Old Bridge, NJ

Last edited by FL little foot; 08-22-2008 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: added something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey