U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 07:28 PM

5,370 posts, read 10,126,849 times

Advertisements

Badfish, One correction not all state universities are staffed by full time POs. Case in point New Jersey City University a State College only has security guards that I wouldn't trust they sleep alot of the time. That college needs police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 09:18 AM

16 posts, read 57,198 times
I live in staten island now, i lived here my whole life, but i moved to south orange to goto school as well, got a apt on south orange avenue right down the block from seton hall, the town itself is very nice, all my friends went to seton hall as well, it is a great school and looks great to get a degree from there while applyin for jobs, i felt very safe there, they got a few bars, restaurants, and a mall close by, i would goto school at seton hall n work in si so i would commute everyday and drive down south orange ave thru newark to get to the parkway and it was totally diff, kind of funny how it just stops and things are totally diff haha, its really not bad at all just dont get out of the car or stop for gas in newark at night and drive thru, its only 5-10min drive from the parkway thru newark to get to seton hall. i lived there for over 2 yrs and nutting bad or ever felt unsafe at all. there are always a ton of people out n around in south orange so its fine.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:13 PM

4 posts, read 21,213 times
Even though the campus is close to Newark nothing serious happens in South Orange
Like someone said before the police station and the court house is less than 2 minutes
away and South Orange Police are no joke. Its actually the safest place to take the kids
trick or treating I take mine every year.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:34 PM

19 posts, read 84,119 times
Default S. Orange

My girlfriend went there to finish her BA. She was a commuter but was on campus a lot.

The school itself is beautiful but east of the school is terrible. Unfortunately it is mostly economic disadvantaged people. My girlfriend sometimes ran red lights to get to/from the Garden State Parkway faster. West of the school is great. It seems like Seton Hall is the dividing line. Like most areas, lines are rarely crossed.

Your child will hang out in S. Orange village and have a blast. And, I'm sure they will explore the 30 minute commute to NYC. Either way, thatís safe. Plus the reservation is there for hiking ect.

I was actually looking to buy a townhouse in S. Orange but the taxes are 12k. As rumor has it, the high taxes are there to provide for the "east side" if you will. I'm not sure if that's true or not, I never researched it.

Old 02-11-2008, 09:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,683 times
Default I just graduated from shu, bad neighborhood trust me

I just graduated in may from seton hall and this is a neighborhood where you have to watch what you do. Ask any student about the constant (basically weekly) emails from the school which talk about a student getting mugged that day and how we can prevent ourselves from being next. My favorite was the string of muggings committed by 5 black men driving up to students, coming out the van, robbing the student, them driving off. I also had a friend who was working at blockbuster on south orang ave and she was tied up at gun point, along with all the other employees, and thrown into a backroom while the store was robbed. This school is targeted by Newark and Irvington hoodlums as they see seton hall as a target rich enviornment, loaded with kids who have money. I personally felt I had to look over my shoulder walking to the train station at night and I am 6 foot 240 lbs and i grew up in a town similar to south orange. Bottom line: poor, young, black males, probably gang members from the gang rich streets of Newark vs. Rich white kids who are an easy target. Plus the streets along ward are poorly lit and the s.o. Pd are rather incompetent, many are old and pushing 46 waist sizes. Far from the people I want protecting me. That is the scenario pretty much, ask any student if you don't believe me.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:20 PM

630 posts, read 1,092,626 times
^^ Agree w/ scott. Anybody who is saying that seton hall is in a good neighborhood is joking. During the day its safe but come night it can be VERY scary. Whenever im driving on SO avenue or irvington avenue around SHU there are police cars in pursuit & J-walkers who dont look like there up to anything good. As a resident of maplewood who gets the news record on a weekly basis, I will say that i have read over the past several years of students getting mugged at gunpoint, businesses being robbed and every week the police blotter tells it all from that area around seton hall and the newark border. The residents and houses around that area are in nice shape but its definately the proximity to newark that causes these problems. Also SHU borders the Ivy Hill Apartments which I can recall as basically being 'the projects.'
As far as going to SHU, GO. Just when leaving the gates make sure to go with buddies, stay on well lighted streets and stay away from newark at all expenses.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:27 PM

5,617 posts, read 13,387,287 times
graduated Seton Hall, its totally safe and great!!! Also did well, got a great education!

Old 03-04-2009, 01:38 PM

786 posts, read 2,268,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy102060 View Post
My daughter will be going to college next September and we have been doing the "college hunt". She liked Seton Hall University very much (as did her father and I). However, we are not from New Jersey, and I am being told the location is not good. I know little about South Orange, mostly what I have read on this site. My question is: Can anyone offer advice on whether this school would be a good choice for a girl who attended only small Catholic schools all her life? Is it safe?
My wife and I both studied over there for our Masters. The only caveat is that the area to the east is East Orange, which is ok (I used to drive through it everyday, and the most I can say is that people warned me about bad drivers), but generally you probably don't want to walk there after dark. My wife used to walk from the campus to her rental in Maplewood and had no problems.

Here are some crime stats from the university:
http://studentaffairs.shu.edu/security/documents/2001_2003archived.pdf (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or