U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 04:15 PM

2 posts, read 11,208 times

Advertisements

My daughter will be going to college next September and we have been doing the "college hunt". She liked Seton Hall University very much (as did her father and I). However, we are not from New Jersey, and I am being told the location is not good. I know little about South Orange, mostly what I have read on this site. My question is: Can anyone offer advice on whether this school would be a good choice for a girl who attended only small Catholic schools all her life? Is it safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 06:23 PM

2,689 posts, read 2,848,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy102060 View Post
My daughter will be going to college next September and we have been doing the "college hunt". She liked Seton Hall University very much (as did her father and I). However, we are not from New Jersey, and I am being told the location is not good. I know little about South Orange, mostly what I have read on this site. My question is: Can anyone offer advice on whether this school would be a good choice for a girl who attended only small Catholic schools all her life? Is it safe?
the campus is safe, some of the towns in the area can be sketchy, you need to visit the campus and talk to some students and see how they handle things

Old 10-01-2007, 06:31 PM

2,541 posts, read 10,190,782 times
The town of south orange has a median household income over 90K. It is not a bad place.

In NJ the nice areas are very close to the bad areas though.

Where are you from, why does your daughter look around here? There are lots of nice schools all over. If you are out of state, I'm sure you can find a more affordable in-state school.

Does your daughter want to be close to NYC?

Old 10-01-2007, 06:42 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,342,393 times
As NJ C said, it's not bad. Travel South Orange Ave in one direction and you arrive in Livingston, and the other in Newark. Two extremes. Did you visit the campus and drive around the area?

Old 10-01-2007, 07:36 PM

329 posts, read 1,312,349 times
I have to disagree. I am from the Maplewood/South Orange area and Seton Hall is literally a few feet away from Newark. South Orange Ave. to be exact. Back in the day when I lived up there it was not a safe area. And this is going back 20 years. I can't speak for it now but I know it's worse. Even if it were a son and not a daughter, it would hold true. I did the college hunt last year with my daughter at this time and Seton Hall wasn't even a consideration. Not that bad things can't happen on any campus, as we all know.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 11,208 times
NJ Chutzpah - We are from Staten Island (I know, I live in a bubble!). It's the same here, Wagner College is on gorgeous Grymes Hill but just down the hill -- never mind! Anyway, I don't want my daughter to go too far away. Her college advisor suggested Seton Hall, which happens to be a beautiful campus (I guess it's like Fordham's Rose Hill campus in the Bronx -beautiful INSIDE the gates). Thanks for the feedback!

Old 10-02-2007, 10:17 AM

3,858 posts, read 8,053,871 times
In college (I went to nearby Caldwell) I lived off of the "other end" of Scotland Road, opposite Seton Hall. Basically Seton Hall sits on South Orange Avenue, surrounded by a mix of older and newer nicely kept homes. There are many 19th century mansions, etc... The downtown area is not unlike many college towns. There is a train station, quirky shops, bars, coffee houses, and a small park.

However, if you travel a few miles outside of South Orange in any direction besides north (North will take you West Orange/Livingston, both fairly affluent) you will be in a not so nice area. I lived in just plain "Orange," near the Highland Avenue train station. I did have my car broken into once, but otherwise had no problems whatsoever. The neighborhood was mostly black/hispanic and my roommate and I were the only white guys around...lol Folks in the neighborhood were either friendly or just ignored us.

Understand though that the South Orange police force VIGOROUSLY patrols the town and is extremely vigilant to the point of harrassment I would say. Put simply, the residents of South Orange and the university will not have "riff-raff" in their town, and the police see to it that it stays that way. My fiancee is a grad student at Seton Hall and attends part time at night. She also frequents the local coffee shops/bars with her female friends after class and has never felt the least bit unsafe. Put it this way-if I were you I'd worry more about how safe she was inside a frat house than walking down South Orange Avenue at midnight by herself.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:24 AM

2,689 posts, read 2,848,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy102060 View Post
NJ Chutzpah - We are from Staten Island (I know, I live in a bubble!). It's the same here, Wagner College is on gorgeous Grymes Hill but just down the hill -- never mind! Anyway, I don't want my daughter to go too far away. Her college advisor suggested Seton Hall, which happens to be a beautiful campus (I guess it's like Fordham's Rose Hill campus in the Bronx -beautiful INSIDE the gates). Thanks for the feedback!
no the surrounding area is nothing like the bronx! consider and visit the campus before ruling it out

Old 10-02-2007, 10:26 AM

329 posts, read 1,312,349 times
My daughter is very happy at Monmouth University, another gorgeous campus. I think this week-end is open house, if you were interested in taking a look. One might say Long Branch isn't so "hot" either but since the re-develoment project, I want to live there myself. It's gorgeous. And a stones throw from Staten Island. There are very few incidents there I am told because they have their very own REAL police dept. not just campus security. It helps me sleep at night knowing the environment is relatively safe. I know you'd want that, too.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:33 AM

3,858 posts, read 8,053,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTina View Post
There are very few incidents there I am told because they have their very own REAL police dept.
All state colleges and universities in New Jersey have their own police force, trained by the State Police and staffed full time. They are sworn officers with all the powers of any municipal or state law enforcement officer. On that note, before you rule Seton Hall out, I would call the South Orange police department to inquire about on campus incidents. Police departments are usually happy to share that kind of information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or