Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 07:47 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,524,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The Plan is to Extend the PATH to EWR replacing the Monorail. Newark Airport Station will be connected by a future Newark Light Rail Extension down from Penn Station via Broad Street and other streets , a Busway from I-78 and a Streetcar down to Midtown Elizabeth. A large scale Development would go up next to the station and down Route 27 to Midtown Elizabeth. Most of this is on hold...or shelved for the time being...
Coming soon....by 2050 I'm sure.

That is actually a smart idea. The whole EWR airport station slash airtrain transfer seems to be more of a pain then say taking LIRR to JFK from Midtown (which you can get from NY Penn to any terminal at JFK in about 30 minutes. pretty great.) People do the NY-Penn to EWR thing, but it's not nearly as good in terms of price versus efficientcy.

But we're the largest metro area with the oldest infastraucture to boot (PANYNJ is useless.) It won't for a while, if ever. I'm still waiting on the new Terminal A which was proposed over 5 years ago and then shelved in favor of the new WTC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_o_matic 76 View Post
This really depends on whether you live North or South of Secaucus junction. North of it, you should definitely use it because 15-20 mins will be shaved off from going to JSQ (without traffic). South of it, you may as well go to JSQ because the parking in Secaucus is a liability. I experimented by parking at Secaucus one day for work, and it cost TWENTY THREE bucks. That's not expensive, thats an arm and a leg. Especially when I can park for $9.50 ALL DAY at the N. Bergen park ride and ROUND TRIP bus fare INCLUDED!

In addition, nobody answered the question: whats with the insanely long exit ramp that extends about a mile in swampland and then hairpins back to the tpke. If this area is indeed protected swampland, why the hell would the Tpke. Authority want to extend unnecessarily FAR into it?
Or Harrison by path for $7 all day, or Newark Penn for $8 all day.

Yeah, it ain't a bargain for sure.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:57 AM

127 posts, read 261,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Or Harrison by path for $7 all day, or Newark Penn for $8 all day.

Yeah, it ain't a bargain for sure.
Right, but with those places you have to pay $2 round trip for PATH. North Bergie Park n Ride is up $1.50 less.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:43 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Coming soon....by 2050 I'm sure.

That is actually a smart idea. The whole EWR airport station slash airtrain transfer seems to be more of a pain then say taking LIRR to JFK from Midtown (which you can get from NY Penn to any terminal at JFK in about 30 minutes. pretty great.) People do the NY-Penn to EWR thing, but it's not nearly as good in terms of price versus efficientcy.

But we're the largest metro area with the oldest infastraucture to boot (PANYNJ is useless.) It won't for a while, if ever. I'm still waiting on the new Terminal A which was proposed over 5 years ago and then shelved in favor of the new WTC.
2035ish....2050 for the Rural lines....

Old 07-31-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
2035ish....2050 for the Rural lines....
Gotta hate that Port Authority. I'll bet it would get done 20 years quicker if NJ was a right to work state.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:11 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,410 times
Quote:
I'll bet it would get done 20 years quicker if NJ was a right to work state.
No. It would get done quicker if the politicians stopped looting the transportation trust fund for their own use.

Quote:
Deadline ticking for nearly bankrupt N.J. Transportation Trust Fund

Tom Wright, executive director of Regional Plan Association, said, "New Jersey residents are waking up to the fact that the state has virtually no funding in place for transportation projects starting next year. The state's transportation systems are looking into the abyss of disrepair, just as the New York City transit system did when shortsighted politicians

Nearly 80 percent of the state’s transportation program will be paid for with borrowed money next year — with nothing coming from cash revenues on hand — under proposed legislation that will help the Christie administration plug a revenue gap in the state budget.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
No. It would get done quicker if the politicians stopped looting the transportation trust fund for their own use.
Who are these people? Senators? Local politicians? Double Dipping? Pension plans?

Old 07-31-2012, 12:55 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Gotta hate that Port Authority. I'll bet it would get done 20 years quicker if NJ was a right to work state.
The PA isn't doing it , its NJT & Amtrak...

Old 07-31-2012, 02:08 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,410 times
Quote:
Who are these people? Senators? Local politicians? Double Dipping? Pension plans?
You really are clueless. Christie along with other Governors has been dipping into the NJ TTF for years to balance the budget. they refuse to raise the low gas tax to fund it so years ago it went broke even after many in the state were warning him of the problems.

One again, politicians borrow to make themselves look good. Borrow to fund it, then borrow from it to balance the fantasy budget. That makes a lot of sense. Do a search as you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote:
The TTF is headed for bankruptcy. By the summer of 2011, 100 percent of its revenue from the gas tax and other sources will be needed to service existing debt, leaving no money for new or routine maintenance projects.

New Government Report: New Jersey Transportation Fund Is Broker Than Broke
Bipartisan New Jersey Agency Outlines Unresolved Transportation Funding Issues | Mobilizing the Region

Old 08-01-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
You really are clueless. Christie along with other Governors has been dipping into the NJ TTF for years to balance the budget. they refuse to raise the low gas tax to fund it so years ago it went broke even after many in the state were warning him of the problems.

One again, politicians borrow to make themselves look good. Borrow to fund it, then borrow from it to balance the fantasy budget. That makes a lot of sense. Do a search as you clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
Clueless? Oh, sorry I don't waste my day skimming NJ.com for the latest corruption stories like you thank you very much. And I don't care enough about NJ to really know everything that's wrong about it. I was just stating curiousity (god forbid on this forum.) I call politics in NJ like I see it: COMPLETELY RETARDED -- to the point where NOTHING gets done and yet everyone suffers with high taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey