U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 05:08 PM

11 posts, read 25,899 times

Advertisements

My husband was relocated and we have been looking for housing in New Jersey. However, it is so expensive. We are moving from Texas and have a six year old daughter and dog.

We are planning on renting since we don't plan on staying forever. We are having trouble finding a place to rent with the dog that doesn't want half a fortune. My question is should we continue looking in New Jersey or perhaps Pennsylvania?

I am looking for a place that has nice schools, dog friendly, and the commute to NYC would not kill him. Sometimes he goes once a week, sometimes four times a week. We need to move in the next few weeks. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 05:22 PM

7,079 posts, read 33,747,655 times
Where is the job? That makes a difference!

Old 10-01-2007, 05:25 PM

11 posts, read 25,899 times
He works from home and travels a territory. Sometimes he goes to various parts of Jersey, NY, or Philly. So we need to be central.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:22 PM

2,689 posts, read 2,852,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingSooon View Post
He works from home and travels a territory. Sometimes he goes to various parts of Jersey, NY, or Philly. So we need to be central.
then PA is a no brainer, lower taxes and housing costs, look at yardley pa

Old 10-02-2007, 09:01 AM

222 posts, read 912,120 times
Yardley is pretty terrible for commuting to NYC however. You'd have to go to Trenton,NJ and get the train. Its a long train ride from Trenton, well over an hour.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 11,733 times
Have you considered central Jersey?

You are half way to NY and PA also schools are pretty good.
Do your research on the town before you pick.
Good Luck

Old 10-02-2007, 07:11 PM

6,044 posts, read 21,141,653 times
Check out Plainsboro. It is centrally located, there are many condos/townhomes for rent, the school district is top-rated, and there is plenty to do in the area.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:26 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,872,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingSooon View Post
My husband was relocated and we have been looking for housing in New Jersey. However, it is so expensive. We are moving from Texas and have a six year old daughter and dog.

We are planning on renting since we don't plan on staying forever. We are having trouble finding a place to rent with the dog that doesn't want half a fortune. My question is should we continue looking in New Jersey or perhaps Pennsylvania?

I am looking for a place that has nice schools, dog friendly, and the commute to NYC would not kill him. Sometimes he goes once a week, sometimes four times a week. We need to move in the next few weeks. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Check out central jersey
we have a few that are still affordable as far as rent goes
If you need any help send me a pm

Old 10-03-2007, 07:30 AM

9,206 posts, read 20,227,138 times
What time of the day does he leave for NY?

I'm down in Browns Mills, the taxes are very cheap, less then $3,000 last year

Depending on how he gets to NY & time of day, it can be a bit of a commute, but then again it all depends on what you can afford also. Getting to Philly is not a bad commute. I'm pretty sure there is a bus that goes to NY on Rt 70, there's a train station in Toms River & Trenton.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:40 AM

7,962 posts, read 16,784,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
What time of the day does he leave for NY?

I'm down in Browns Mills, the taxes are very cheap, less then $3,000 last year

Depending on how he gets to NY & time of day, it can be a bit of a commute, but then again it all depends on what you can afford also. Getting to Philly is not a bad commute. I'm pretty sure there is a bus that goes to NY on Rt 70, there's a train station in Toms River & Trenton.
I second Browns Mills. That's an excellent choice. It's one of the few areas that is still reasonably affordable, and is centrally located. That said, the frequency of commute into NYC is a major factor. If the poster says "Sometimes 4x a week" then I would consider limiting my search northward. I think these folks need to establish the frequency of where he is to travel within his territory before a town is recommended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey