U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2007, 05:34 PM

132 posts, read 448,041 times

Advertisements

Had a radon test in a home we bought in Colonia and found high levels. Can anyone suggest what is the best course of action to do next. Is mitigation of radon expensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 05:42 PM

85 posts, read 273,890 times
Was the radon test done before you closed on the house? It should have been part of the home inspection. Typically, the homeowner is responsible for radon remediation. The last house my buyers and I came across that had higher than healthy radon levels was remediated for $1800, including town permits.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:42 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,280,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellyflops View Post
Had a radon test in a home we bought in Colonia and found high levels. Can anyone suggest what is the best course of action to do next. Is mitigation of radon expensive?
I assume you have no closed yet. It can be corrected but the sellers need to pay for that. Have your Lawyer take care of that.
Diane

Old 10-01-2007, 05:52 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,098,244 times
I'm assuming this is the house you inherited? The mitigation should be fairly inexpensive- typically under $3,000. One note- have an independent company do the post-remediation test- there's too many cases of the house "conveniently" passing the remediation contractor's test, only to fail an independent test later.

Bob

Old 10-01-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I'm assuming this is the house you inherited? The mitigation should be fairly inexpensive- typically under $3,000. One note- have an independent company do the post-remediation test- there's too many cases of the house "conveniently" passing the remediation contractor's test, only to fail an independent test later.

Bob
yes Bob good memory and it my parents house so the estate would have to pay...of course I am half of the estate. Anyone suggest a good company to do the work?

Old 10-01-2007, 06:49 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,280,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellyflops View Post
yes Bob good memory and it my parents house so the estate would have to pay...of course I am half of the estate. Anyone suggest a good company to do the work?
Get Prices But I know Arrow does that. I believe they have offices all over NJ

Arrow Environmental Services: Arrow Exterminating Company, A Family Owned and Operated Enterprise

This company discovered my oil leak when doing a routine termite inspection, which we had a contract to check, yearly.

Diane

Old 10-01-2007, 08:11 PM

30 posts, read 157,410 times
Shop around the average price is about $1200, although it could be more since New Jersey has some strict state licensing requirements.

Here is the website of NEHA. Where most radon professionals receive their training....National Radon Proficiency Program

Old 10-02-2007, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radonguy View Post
Shop around the average price is about $1200, although it could be more since New Jersey has some strict state licensing requirements.

Here is the website of NEHA. Where most radon professionals receive their training....National Radon Proficiency Program
thanks with a name like yours I would guess you know something about radon

Old 10-02-2007, 12:49 PM

13,320 posts, read 19,659,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radonguy View Post

We have found the cost to be about that 1200. As Estate homeowners at the time, it was paid for at closing, for the new home owner to put it in at a later date.

In Pa we had the radon fixed and that company just collected at the closing from the Estate there. That unit was put in before closing. In both cases it was about 1200. I even think less then that in Pa.

Usually the real estate office will give you a few people to contact.
It really was settled with no issues at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey