U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-28-2012, 09:11 PM

8 posts, read 23,978 times
Default What are the good neighborhoods in Parsippany, NJ

I am considering Parsippany as a serious contender to where I can buy a home for myself. For the same, I wanted to know
1. About the good and bad of Parsippany
2. Which neighborhoods are good and which ones to avoid (and why)?
3. What parts would you recommend based on my background

Background:
1. Budget around 500K
2. Both town-home and single family are OK. We would need more than 2000 sq ft approximately
3. Have to commute every day to work in midtown NYC
4. We prefer communities where we can walk safely to stretch ourselves and catch some fresh air
5. We are a young couple with no kids

All well meaning inputs are appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-28-2012, 10:22 PM

975 posts, read 714,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie007 View Post
I am considering Parsippany as a serious contender to where I can buy a home for myself. For the same, I wanted to know

Background:
1. Budget around 500K
2. Both town-home and single family are OK. We would need more than 2000 sq ft approximately
4. We prefer communities where we can walk safely to stretch ourselves and catch some fresh air

Firstly I would have to say that given your circumstances, I would not include Parsippany anywhere near the top of my list, there are many other towns that you will find a nice home with better resale value, lower taxes, much better schools, and a better NYC commute. Parsippany does not have train access to NYC, there is a bus service, but it goes to the Port Authority, so you'd have to travel more to reach your office. The bus is also subject to long delays due to weather and accidents. Frankly with having a daily commute to NYC you'd be MUCH better off living in a town with a train station on the midtown direct line. If the commuting issues were not enough of a reason to stay away here are a few more....the schools are pretty bad - overcrowded, under-performing, mismanaged, and at risk of losing state and federal aid. Although you do not have kids now, it will definitely affect your re-sale value and ability to sell. Taxes are high for Morris County, and municipal services are stretched way thin. Then there is the flooding issues...a large part of the Lake Hiawatha section of town has known flooding issues. (even if you do not buy in that section of town, your taxes do go for the related expenses to this flooding). You say you want a walkable community...well while there is plenty of space in Parsippany, it is bisected by several major highways and abundantly dotted with strip malls, no real downtown. You will have to drive to everything. Also as the highways are major thoroughfares, expect a lot of traffic. Walking is at your own peril - each year there are several pedestrian fatalities along these roads. As far as areas to avoid, definitely avoid the Lake Hiawatha area (flooding) and the small lakeside communities - they all used to be summer bungelows, the "streets" are way too narrow (about 1.5 lane, passing is difficult), many homes have no real parking spaces, so you park along the already too narrow street, not to mention the issues with snow plowing that result. There are pretty much no sidewalks in the lakeside communities, some homes still are on septics (small home added on to, on micro sized lots-no room to replace the septic, and IF (I seem to recall there being a moratorium on new connections by the DEP) you can hook into the sewer expect a huge bill for the connection, it is just not a headache I'd want to take on).

Seriously, with your budget and circumstances, there are dozens other towns that are better suited to your needs. I cannot imagine why you have zeroed in on Parsippany on your radar. Please take a look at the sticky post for those considering a move to NJ at the top of this forum and answer the questions, when you provide us with more info on your criteria, we can provide you with many better fitting, truly useful options for you to consider. Questions For Future and Potential Residents

KoalaNJ

Unread 07-29-2012, 07:39 AM

Thanks KoalaNJ! Your post is insightful but also shows your "liking" for Parsippany. hehe

The region around Monroe also seems to (from my computer) have what we want. I have never really checked Monroe though. It is in our list to check out. The East/South Brunswicks are either expensive or are older. I would really like to hear some place suggestions

Below are my answers to the questions from the sticky post:

Where are you coming from?
Stamford, CT

Why are you moving?
CT public schools are not to the level of NJ schools. And schools with OK results are mostly in areas that I cannot afford.

Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?
Midtown, NYC for now, but might be Downtown, NYC later on.

Will you buy or rent?
Buy

What is your budget ?
500K Home / 10K Taxes. Slightly stretchable

What kind of place are you looking for ?
Town home or Single Family, both should be OK, but at least 2000 sq ft approximately
Should be built in the last 10-15 years. This rules out lot of places. A well maintained and modernized house also works.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?
Spouse

Do you need/want good public schools?
We would prefer towns with good schools, but it is not necessary for now. But I would definitely like to be in close proximity of such towns to make it easy for us to move in future to such towns.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)
Places with young families. We are a couple in our early 30s
Some ethnic population. I am Indian and my wife in South American. Doesn't need to be crowded with Indians like Parsippany or Edison, but at least say 5% (a number to get an idea) would be nice.
Safe neighborhood to walk around the home (sidewalks, not too much vehicular traffic, crime safe, active neighbors, etc)

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
Well Maintained and Modern home (Zoned A/C & Heat, Modern Kitchen, Jetted tubs, etc) in an Urban area
NYC commute should be less than 90 minutes approximately
Walkable neighborhoods

Unread 07-29-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks KoalaNJ! Your post is insightful but also shows your "liking" for Parsippany. hehe

The region around Monroe also seems to (from my computer) have what we want. I have never really checked Monroe though. It is in our list to check out. The East/South Brunswicks are either expensive or are older. I would really like to hear some place suggestions

Below are my answers to the questions from the sticky post:

Where are you coming from?
Stamford, CT

Why are you moving?
CT public schools are not to the level of NJ schools. And schools with OK results are mostly in areas that I cannot afford.

Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?
Midtown, NYC for now, but might be Downtown, NYC later on.

Will you buy or rent?
Buy

What is your budget ?
500K Home / 10K Taxes. Slightly stretchable

What kind of place are you looking for ?
Town home or Single Family, both should be OK, but at least 2000 sq ft approximately
Should be built in the last 10-15 years. This rules out lot of places. A well maintained and modernized house also works.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?
Spouse

Do you need/want good public schools?
We would prefer towns with good schools, but it is not necessary for now. But I would definitely like to be in close proximity of such towns to make it easy for us to move in future to such towns.

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)
Places with young families. We are a couple in our early 30s
Some ethnic population. I am Indian and my wife in South American. Doesn't need to be crowded with Indians like Parsippany or Edison, but at least say 5% (a number to get an idea) would be nice.
Safe neighborhood to walk around the home (sidewalks, not too much vehicular traffic, crime safe, active neighbors, etc)

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)
Well Maintained and Modern home (Zoned A/C & Heat, Modern Kitchen, Jetted tubs, etc) in an Urban area
NYC commute should be less than 90 minutes approximately
Walkable neighborhoods

Thank you for providing the additional info, it is most helpful. Right off the bat given your criteria you can eliminate all of Bergen and Essex Counties- while there are many wonderful communities that meet most of your criteria, the taxes will be at least double your $10K, and near 3x if the town has good schools.

To find lower taxes and great schools look at the eastern part of Morris County. Since you are seeking a more urban feel, (much of Morris Co is suburban/rural) and also want good schools, and a safe walkable downtown, the first towns that come to mind are Madison, Chatham, Morristown and Morris Plains. All of those towns have train stations which are on the midtown direct line. (The midtown direct train from Morristown to Penn Station is approx 70/75 minutes.) The housing stock in these communities is mostly older homes, but they have been well maintained and upgraded so will most likely have the newer updated kitchens and baths. All of the towns I mentioned have good diversity, and are wonderful places to live. Being that you are currently living in CT I think it would be well worth your time and trouble to come down and visit the area for a weekend to get a look at the towns and a feel for the vibe.

I am not that familiar with Monroe Twp, having only driven through it a few times, I do not recall it having a downtown area and it was more suburban/rural. It is also worth noting that there is no train station nearby so commuting to NYC would be via car or bus, and with the distance from NYC it is highly unlikely that your commute will be under 90 min each way. I believe you are searching areas too far away from NYC for a reasonable commute.

KoalaNJ

Unread 07-31-2012, 06:34 PM

Thanks for the detailed post KoalaNJ!
I have been frequenting NJ towns, every few weekends, to get the feel of a few towns. I have ruled out Essex (and Mercer) county due to taxes. I have ruled out most towns in Bergen due to either price or property age.
So I am just focusing on Middlesex and Morris county.

I am not necessarily looking for walkable downtown (since that rules out too many towns), but a walkable community would also work. I am also not excluding towns without train stations, since that reduces my options drastically. The trains are also pretty slow, but are more predictable compared to bus. But from what I gather from my friends in NJ and my personal experience for a little while in East Rutherford, if you start early (7 ish), you have better travel times.

I am keeping my eyes open about MorrisTown. I had checked the place, and even though it did not really attract me, there was nothing to get pushed away either. I haven't checked out Morris Plains, but have checked portions of Parsippany which share the Morris Plains postal addresses. Chatham and Madison are mostly "white towns". Never personally visited there but the census information seems to suggest around 90% White folks. I don't have anything against any race, just like more diversity.

I haven't checked Monroe, but am planning a trip to check out Monroe (and potentially New Brunswick and Morris Plains)
Also I agree that I am looking at towns further east than I would be comfortable commuting, but seems like that is the only way to available to get a home of our liking. And of course I understand the further I commute the less time I spend in the place I would like (family & future home) along with increased commute cost burden.

Anyone has any more town suggestions, that I can check out?

Unread 07-31-2012, 07:07 PM

344 posts, read 192,777 times
So, I would not rule out Parsippany per se......

To answer your initial question.....Parsippany has some lovely areas and some great amenities. If I were looking, I would look at the Parsippany Hills area rather than Par High. I have relatives who grew up in Parsippany and it was well known that the Hills was a much better HS. In terms of neighborhoods, I would look at anything off Rt. 10, Park Road, Rt. 202, Rt. 53....ie Morris Plains area....very close to Denville. I would steer away from Rts. 46/Rt. 80.... While I think the schools are good enough, I do think the commute is brutal--2 hours on the bus, or you can take the train from Morris Plains but it's a haul...2 hours door to door, easily.

Some other places to consider:

Morris Plains--good train options, and schools route into Parsippany Hills, or so I seem to think. Double check.
Denville--adorable downtown, midtown direct, still tough commute--about the same as Morristown, Parsp, etc.
Boonton- same
East Hanover- closer commute, schools same
Cedar Knolls--same as above
Livingston- better schools, no midtown direct (drive to Summit or bus it) but higher taxes and prices
Morristown * but the schools are not that great
Randolph * better schools but now you are farther from the city and would have to bus it
Chester * farther from the city and I have not figured out a good way to commute
Basking Ridge--pricier, but amazing schools, higher taxes, train commute similar to Pars, but probably closer
New Providence- pricier, cuter, schools are good, taxes higher
Berkely Heights--don't know too much about it....
Lyons--dont' know too much
Maplewood--cute, very close, great commute, artsy vibe, very diverse but just good enough schools.....

If you are looking for racial diversity I would say Parsippany has a higher percentage of Indians, Asians and Jews--Morristown a higher hispanic and black population, Chester, BK, NP, etc all whitey towns....

Millburn is another option but the taxes are high and 500K will barely get you in there---but the schools are amazing and it's somewhat racially diverse--Asians etc but very little blacks etc.

Whew.

Hope all that helped. I will keep thinking.....

Unread 07-31-2012, 08:20 PM

18 posts, read 43,987 times
Quote:

Background:
1. Budget around 500K

Lakeland Bus has regular buses to Wall Street and Port Authority from Parsippany. I take the morning 6.15 am Wall Street bus from Waterview Park and usually in my desk at 7.15 am in Greenwich Street. I would assume it would take even less time to reach Port Authority if you take the early buses. I have been taking the Lakeland buses for the last two years and very happy. Barring occassional delays, buses are reliable and comfortable.

In terms of school, Parsipanny ranks in the middle of the pack. I suggest to check the rankings rather than rely on someone's opinion. In addition to the areas mention by another poster, I recommend looking into Mazdabrook area. Yes, Lake Hiawatha is flood area, but other areas are fine and Parsippany is a large town. Overall, Parsippany is a typical NJ subarb.

Unread 07-31-2012, 08:30 PM

to
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonGrace View Post
So, I would not rule out Parsippany per se......

To answer your initial question.....Parsippany has some lovely areas and some great amenities. If I were looking, I would look at the Parsippany Hills area rather than Par High. I have relatives who grew up in Parsippany and it was well known that the Hills was a much better HS. In terms of neighborhoods, I would look at anything off Rt. 10, Park Road, Rt. 202, Rt. 53....ie Morris Plains area....very close to Denville. I would steer away from Rts. 46/Rt. 80.... While I think the schools are good enough, I do think the commute is brutal--2 hours on the bus, or you can take the train from Morris Plains but it's a haul...2 hours door to door, easily.

Some other places to consider:

Morris Plains--good train options, and schools route into Parsippany Hills, or so I seem to think. Double check.
Denville--adorable downtown, midtown direct, still tough commute--about the same as Morristown, Parsp, etc.
Boonton- same
East Hanover- closer commute, schools same
Cedar Knolls--same as above
Livingston- better schools, no midtown direct (drive to Summit or bus it) but higher taxes and prices
Morristown * but the schools are not that great
Randolph * better schools but now you are farther from the city and would have to bus it
Chester * farther from the city and I have not figured out a good way to commute
Basking Ridge--pricier, but amazing schools, higher taxes, train commute similar to Pars, but probably closer
New Providence- pricier, cuter, schools are good, taxes higher
Berkely Heights--don't know too much about it....
Lyons--dont' know too much
Maplewood--cute, very close, great commute, artsy vibe, very diverse but just good enough schools.....

If you are looking for racial diversity I would say Parsippany has a higher percentage of Indians, Asians and Jews--Morristown a higher hispanic and black population, Chester, BK, NP, etc all whitey towns....

Millburn is another option but the taxes are high and 500K will barely get you in there---but the schools are amazing and it's somewhat racially diverse--Asians etc but very little blacks etc.

Whew.

Hope all that helped. I will keep thinking.....

While you have included a lot of information, a lot of the information is inaccurate, perhaps just outdated? And several towns you mention you have omitted some pretty important facts that one should be aware of.

Firstly, Morris Plains is part of the Morris School District (have been for as long as I can remember, and I am fairly old!) so they funnel to Morristown HS. As far as the schools not being that great, that simply is not true. Morristown is consistently rated well in the rankings for HS in the state.

Denville - yes it has a wonderful downtown, but it floods on a regular basis, (as does large parts of the town, so be careful when considering the town.)

East Hanover - does not have a train station, so commute is either by bus (long!) or driving. (do you really want to drive into Manhattan every day?)

Randolph - good to add to your list, and many do drive to the train stations (either Morris Plains, Dover, or Morristown depending on what part of Randolph they reside in). Wonderful schools, great community with so much to offer residents, and pretty good diversity, but taxes on a 500k home will be around 12k a year.

Basking Ridge - taxes on a 500k home are around 10k, depending on lot size. And you are correct, fantastic schools, plus they have a small cute walkable downtown and a train station with midtown direct trains....IMHO, definitely a town to further investigate and consider. (Incidentally Lyons along with Basking Ridge, Liberty Corner and Millington are all part of Bernards Twp, and share one school system.)

Maplewood - the schools are pretty good, but crime/safety is an issue due to it's proximity to Newark. Also since it is in Essex County, you are talking sky high taxes.

KoalaNJ

Unread 08-12-2012, 03:50 PM

I recently checked the Mazdabrook commons and Glenmont commons community. They look pretty new and good. Does anyone have any opinion (pros/cons) related to buying there? From what I understand of the Lakeland buses, it seems like Mazdabrook would be a slightly shorter commute to mid-town. Am I correct in making that assumption?
Also, in relation to the HOA, and other issues do you guys think there is any reason to avoid one (or both) of these places?

One of the benefits of Glenmont commons would be that it is closer to Morristown train station

Also, does anyone have any neighborhood recommendations around Morris Plains-Dover-Denville-Parsippany area (other than the 2 I mentioned here)

Unread 08-20-2012, 05:38 PM

18 posts, read 43,987 times
Quote:
I recently checked the Mazdabrook commons and Glenmont commons community. They look pretty new and good. Does anyone have any opinion (pros/cons) related to buying there? From what I understand of the Lakeland buses, it seems like Mazdabrook would be a slightly shorter commute to mid-town. Am I correct in making that assumption?
Also, in relation to the HOA, and other issues do you guys think there is any reason to avoid one (or both) of these places?

One of the benefits of Glenmont commons would be that it is closer to Morristown train station

Also, does anyone have any neighborhood recommendations around Morris Plains-Dover-Denville-Parsippany area (other than the 2 I mentioned here)

FYI.

Money Magazine: Parsippany one of America's best small cities | NJ.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey