Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 07:33 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,152,981 times

Advertisements

I love Ridgewood, it's one of my absolutely favorite towns ... Next to mine, Tenafly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 07:35 PM

140 posts, read 503,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Wyckoff isn't exactly the inner city ghetto. It's called logic and reasoning.
Yes...That...or Stereotyping and jumping to conclusions.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:37 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,152,981 times
There isn't too much ghetto in Bergen County- Lodi and Garfield. Wyckoff isn't bad, it's close to Mahwah, Ramsey, Oakland .... NICE !

You know who was from that area, anyone remember, Amy Grossberg and Brian Peterson ? Rich kid baby killers.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:44 PM

140 posts, read 503,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
You know who was from that area, anyone remember, Amy Grossberg and Brian Peterson ? Rich kid baby killers.
Rich kid baby killers are the worst...

Old 07-29-2012, 08:14 PM

88,324 posts, read 84,331,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
There isn't too much ghetto in Bergen County- Lodi and Garfield. Wyckoff isn't bad, it's close to Mahwah, Ramsey, Oakland .... NICE !

I was going to mention that earlier but I figured no one would remember.

Also, back in the Nineties there was a stupid kid's show on...all right, I watched it a few times with my kid and laughed, too. It was called the Adventures of Pete and Pete, about two brothers named Pete and their parents. An actor who played one of the Petes was a Wyckoff kid.

Also, they kept it very quiet until afterward, but Vander Plaat funeral home on Wyckoff Avenue handled Richard Nixon's wake and funeral service.

Wyckoff was still a hick town when I was a kid growing up in Midland Park 40 - 50 years ago/1960s. The biggest business on Main Street was a huge feed and grain where we bought feed for our chickens. They sold hay and oats and other animal food--there were still farms in Wyckoff then besides Abma's, and a number of people had horses and cows. There was at least one dairy in Wyckoff that I remember - Sicomac Dairy on the road of the same name.

In the late 60s and through the 70s, white people came swarming out of the city as well as areas like Jersey City to get away from the scary colored people and Puerto Ricans, and towns like Wyckoff and Franklin Lakes that were semi-suburbs and semi dirt farms got built up and suddenly became upscale.

And now they ARE the scary people BWHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Old 07-29-2012, 08:32 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,590,233 times
Quote:
There isn't too much ghetto in Bergen County- Lodi and Garfield.
Though I would not call these towns "ghetto" either. Many some parts are not as nice as others...for example in Garfield the area near Passaic is not as nice as other parts. However, they are "borderline" at worst.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:14 PM

153 posts, read 376,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Also, back in the Nineties there was a stupid kid's show on...all right, I watched it a few times with my kid and laughed, too. It was called the Adventures of Pete and Pete, about two brothers named Pete and their parents. An actor who played one of the Petes was a Wyckoff kid.
Danny Tamberelli, bringing me back to watching that show growing up

Old 07-30-2012, 02:20 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,262,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Also, they kept it very quiet until afterward, but Vander Plaat funeral home on Wyckoff Avenue handled Richard Nixon's wake and funeral service.

Wyckoff was still a hick town when I was a kid growing up in Midland Park 40 - 50 years ago/1960s. The biggest business on Main Street was a huge feed and grain where we bought feed for our chickens. They sold hay and oats and other animal food--there were still farms in Wyckoff then besides Abma's, and a number of people had horses and cows. There was at least one dairy in Wyckoff that I remember - Sicomac Dairy on the road of the same name.

In the late 60s and through the 70s, white people came swarming out of the city as well as areas like Jersey City to get away from the scary colored people and Puerto Ricans, and towns like Wyckoff and Franklin Lakes that were semi-suburbs and semi dirt farms got built up and suddenly became upscale.

And now they ARE the scary people BWHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA
No doubt.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:18 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,408,634 times
I dont know if this has been said but WE are all to blame. As a country we are raising a generation of aholes. Kids who get everything,need everything,want everything and then cry when they dont get it. Children are not taught patience,values,empathy or pretty much anything from their parents. Parents have the baby jesus syndrome where they think the entire world revolves around their kids. Think about how life has been made soo much easier for kids to act as idiots within the past 25 years and then you will understand why we have people such as this clown laughing in a mug shot.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:57 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,063,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
I dont know if this has been said but WE are all to blame. As a country we are raising a generation of aholes. Kids who get everything,need everything,want everything and then cry when they dont get it. Children are not taught patience,values,empathy or pretty much anything from their parents. Parents have the baby jesus syndrome where they think the entire world revolves around their kids. Think about how life has been made soo much easier for kids to act as idiots within the past 25 years and then you will understand why we have people such as this clown laughing in a mug shot.
But the baby boomers were the most spoiled generation up until that time when they were coming up in the 50s & 60s. Their parents did the sacrificing of WWII and they had an unprecedented run of economic benefits & good jobs almost their entire lives. It was when we used to have a strong middle class before Reagan.

And crime was much higher overall in the 1970s. Not sure blaming generations or "all of us" is the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey