U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 02:22 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,280,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, except for you.
No, I don't. I would not ask that. If in my club to a newcomer, I may ask where they moved from but that's just starting a conversation.
Diane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 09:44 PM

7,886 posts, read 17,328,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Well, except for you.
they dont ask them here either...only in NJ or at least where we lived..when you spoke to someone it was Oh what development do u live in?

and well why should that matter????

I did love NJ and StMarteen said it best its the politicians...and well I also think Society, u do have it everywhere but its a mentality thing..

Old 10-05-2007, 12:16 AM

25,341 posts, read 24,141,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMOMOFTWO View Post
they dont ask them here either...only in NJ or at least where we lived..when you spoke to someone it was Oh what development do u live in?

I did love NJ and StMarteen said it best its the politicians...and well I also think Society, u do have it everywhere but its a mentality thing..
Okay, well...the irony is that "being better" is all Diane talks about on this forum. With the occasional very brief interjection of, say, a restaurant suggestion. That's why I was kind of surprised to see the referenced post.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:36 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,098,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMOMOFTWO View Post

HEY! Look who found the time to bounce over from the NC boards and say hello.....

I'm assuming things are going well for you in NC, as they are for us in GA.

Bob

Old 10-05-2007, 08:16 AM

1,508 posts, read 5,383,399 times
Default oh no

*groan* is this going to turn into another "I left horrible NJ for..NC, GA, TN thread"

Old 10-05-2007, 09:07 AM

5,370 posts, read 10,128,606 times
I guess I'm going to be kind of bias on this one to St.Maartin. I am a govt. employee, 30 years in the Police Dept., 50 years old and still working and PAYING TAXES like everyone else. She states that a guy 45 YOA has two pensions from NJ. It's almost impossible as you have to be at least 21 YOA to be hired by a PD. If you take the special retirement after 25 years the minimum you could be is 46 YOA with a reduced pension.
Most of the POs and fireman that I know came on in there mid 20s to mid 30's. Most of the uniformed employees like myself keep working into there mid 50's. The average age that one of these workers dies is 61YOA. Mostly ALL states have the same kind of retirement system for the sheriffs,POs and paid fireman. New York has a 20 and out retirement system and they are not in a fiscal mess like us, and I can go on and on. I quess this will **** alot of people off but these jobs are open to ANYONE who wants them.

Old 10-05-2007, 09:32 AM

12,925 posts, read 24,052,828 times
Jerseyman,

It's not the police or the fireman, you guys/gals deserve your pensions.
It's the town administators et al..some administrate over more then 1 town drawing a salary and down the road pension from both..maybe the towns in question should "consolidate" services

Old 10-05-2007, 09:41 AM

687 posts, read 2,910,846 times
Quote:
It's not the police or the fireman, you guys/gals deserve your pensions.
It's the town administators et al..some administrate over more then 1 town drawing a salary and down the road pension from both..maybe the towns in question should "consolidate" services
The double dipping in NJ is horrendous. I always thought drawing from a pension meant you were retired, I guess not so much.

I know of a school admin. who "retired" and then worked as a "substitute" principal every day, so he was drawing from a substantial pension and making a hefty wage subbing.

Old 10-05-2007, 11:51 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,939,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I guess I'm going to be kind of bias on this one to St.Maartin. I am a govt. employee, 30 years in the Police Dept., 50 years old and still working and PAYING TAXES like everyone else. She states that a guy 45 YOA has two pensions from NJ. It's almost impossible as you have to be at least 21 YOA to be hired by a PD. If you take the special retirement after 25 years the minimum you could be is 46 YOA with a reduced pension.
Most of the POs and fireman that I know came on in there mid 20s to mid 30's. Most of the uniformed employees like myself keep working into there mid 50's. The average age that one of these workers dies is 61YOA. Mostly ALL states have the same kind of retirement system for the sheriffs,POs and paid fireman. New York has a 20 and out retirement system and they are not in a fiscal mess like us, and I can go on and on. I quess this will **** alot of people off but these jobs are open to ANYONE who wants them.
then you get ppl like my dad who dropped dead from the job at age 55 who drew no pension! I don't understand the double dipping. I've heard a lot of ppl getting a job as a consultant after retirement but that doesn't lend itself to another pension.

plus, don't you have to pay into your pension?

Old 10-05-2007, 11:56 AM

12,925 posts, read 24,052,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
then you get ppl like my dad who dropped dead from the job at age 55 who drew no pension! I don't understand the double dipping. I've heard a lot of ppl getting a job as a consultant after retirement but that doesn't lend itself to another pension.

plus, don't you have to pay into your pension?
If you retire from the police force/fire department and then get another civil service job yeah if you get enough years in sure you get the pension.
It's the ones that simutaneously (sp?) work in 2 different locales at the same time drawing 2 seperate salaries and pensions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or