U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2007, 05:03 PM

7,886 posts, read 17,325,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
*groan* is this going to turn into another "I left horrible NJ for..NC, GA, TN thread"

on the Contrary NEW HOME...we loved living in NJ we just hated the people we were surrounded by and the government...as a state it has alot to offer some people...Im not telling anyone what is better than NJ, but for us it has been...It has opened doors in our life that we never thought we would have, my son smiles all the time which he never did before...doesnt mean what is good for us is good for the rest...

HEY BOB, I have popped in and hope I dont get myself in trouble...LOL...Im so glad your lovin Georgia....

We must chat soon
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 05:36 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,094,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMOMOFTWO View Post

We must chat soon
I'm here- just PM me whenever you have time.

Bob

Old 10-05-2007, 10:08 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,935,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Seriously, you should look into that. You might be missing out on something here. I don't agree with the law, but while it's still "do-able" in Jersey, you might as well take what's yours....everyone else is.

my mom did, believe me - she was no shrinking violet. she was also told she could get paid for the unused sick/vacation my dad had when he died (over 1 yr's worth) - but they then recinded, she got bupkis. anyway, she died 11 yrs ago, so it doesn't matter now.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:54 AM

137 posts, read 652,096 times
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Don't forget the shopping carts and Hummers!!!!

Im a NYer, and as often as possible I like to poke fun at NJ. But forgive my naivety.... I dont get the shopping carts thing.

Enlighten me please!

P.S. We could certainly give NJ a run for thier money on Hummer owners. Ya never know when you might need a vehicle like that in this area.

Could happen.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:43 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,412,623 times
Someone from LI has no business poking anything. LOL

Old 10-20-2007, 12:27 PM

137 posts, read 652,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Someone from LI has no business poking anything. LOL
Just like most Jersey folk...cant take a joke.
(Or maybe finds themselves at the butt of jokes too often!!!)

KIDDING!!!

Old 10-23-2007, 08:22 AM

31 posts, read 99,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Is it an older home that your brother lived in? The newer homes are taxed much higher, but they are in the process of reassesing everyone there. They are also in the process of adding on to the High School. Right before we moved out of Sparta, a referendum in the neighborhood of 13 million (I believe it was) was passed. All at the taxpayers burden. Our taxes were $13,500 and climbing (I consider that very, very high), but you already know that story.... Some of my neighbors were (and still are) paying upwards of $18,000. They live in "newer" homes, but never bargained for such incredible tax hikes in such a short time.
I have to be honest, $6400 on Lake Mohawk sounds kinda low to me. How long ago was that?

Ahh, yes, the McMansion types..gotta love the McMansions! My friend has one in Wayne, pays $28k/year in taxes.. all home, no property.
People in Sparta/Lk Mohawk still have to fight with Route 15/route 80 traffic. I wouldn't by a home out in Sparta if you paid me. It might be a beautiful place, but the same can be said about Ringwood and Kinnelon, and both are very near Rt 287...The Lake Mohawk/Sparta area is so far out west, you might as well live in Pa., and save on taxes ( I'm dead serious about that, I'd rather buy a cheaper home of the same size and 75% less taxes, than live in Sparta/Lk Mohawk). I drive over on rt 80 west every day on my way home to Morris Plains..Luckily I get off at 287, which is the exact area where rt 80 becomes a parking lot..you couldn't pay me enough money to live out in Sparta/Rockaway/Hopatcong, etc.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:24 AM
EB2

1,927 posts, read 5,335,838 times
LOL, this brought a smile and a laugh to my day. Thanks!

Old 10-24-2007, 02:06 AM

25,328 posts, read 24,133,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevee View Post
Just like most Jersey folk...cant take a joke.
(Or maybe finds themselves at the butt of jokes too often!!!)

KIDDING!!!
Sure they can!!! Like for instance, here's a funny one:

Q. Why did New York get all the lawyers, and New Jersey get all the garbage?
A. Because New Jersey had first choice.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:08 AM

25,328 posts, read 24,133,744 times
Or wait, here's a funny one, too! It's long, though, so look out. I copied and pasted it...see? We who grew up in New Jersey DO have a sense of humor:

YOU KNOW YOU'RE FROM NEW YORK CITY WHEN...

* You think Central Park is "nature."

* You're paying $1,200 for a studio the size of a walk-in closet and you think it's a "steal."

* You've been to New Jersey twice and got hopelessly lost both times.

* You pay more each month to park your car than most people in the U.S. pay in rent.

* You go to dinner at 9 and head out to the clubs when most Americans are heading to bed.

* You have 27 different menus next to your telephone.

* Going to Brooklyn is considered a "road trip."

* America west of the Hudson is still theoretical to you.

* You're suspicious of strangers who are actually nice to you.

* You take a taxi to get to your health club to exercise.

* Your idea of personal space is no one actually standing on your toes.

* $50 worth of groceries fit in one paper bag.

* Your doorman is Russian, your grocer is Korean, your deli man is Israeli, your building super is Italian, your laundry guy is Chinese, your favorite bartender is Irish, your favorite diner owner is Greek, the watch seller on your corner is Senegalese, your last cabbie was Pakistani, your newsstand guy is Indian and your favorite falafel guy is Egyptian.

* You say "the city" and expect everyone to know that it means Manhattan.

* You secretly envy cabbies for their driving skills.

* You have never been to the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building.

* You can get into a four-hour argument about how to get from Columbus Circle to Battery Park at 3:30 on the Friday before a long weekend, but can't find Wisconsin on a map.

* Hookers and the homeless are invisible.

* The subway makes sense.

* The subway should never be called anything prissy, like the Metro.

* You believe that being able to swear at people in their own language makes you multi-lingual.

* You think $7.00 to cross a bridge is a fair price.

* You've considered stabbing someone just for saying "The Big Apple."

* Your door has more than three locks.

* You go to a hockey game for the fighting. In the stands. To participate.

* Your favorite movie has DeNiro in it.

* The most frequently used part of your car is the horn.

* You consider eye contact an act of overt aggression.

* You call an 8' x 10' plot of patchy grass a yard. You complain about having to mow it.

* You are a skee-ball juggernaut.

* You consider Westchester "Upstate."

* You cried the day Mayor Ed Koch took over for Judge Wapner.

* You run when you see a flashing "Do Not Walk" sign at the intersection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or