Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 12:29 AM

30,907 posts, read 32,842,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
there is just so many that i know forgot
Oh well i am sure we will here them again
a little different version but basically the same give or take a couple of windows
I can't BELIEVE you all forgot the fact that the majority of the 9/11 terrorists were born in and lived in New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 12:55 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,337,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I'm remembering that the people in line don't talk to ya'......
Ya' just can't get a smile outta them. In order to get a smile.........
you must move. You must move South.........
Then in the South when you get in line, someone will finally say "hello" .........
" How big is your house,how many windows do you have, what do you drive,
and where does your husband work?"
Perhaps, plastic or paper?
Acually I was talking to someone that moved here from Sparta, NJ. She said the people there were snobby. Her husband was relocated here because he works for Dip'n dots. I've never been to Sparta or lived there so its not my opinion , its hers.
Diane

Old 10-03-2007, 08:59 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,697,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Acually I was talking to someone that moved here from Sparta, NJ. She said the people there were snobby. Her husband was relocated here because he works for Dip'n dots. I've never been to Sparta or lived there so its not my opinion , its hers.
Diane
I lived in Sparta. Yes, there are a few snobs, but you just weed those people out and stay away from them. If they seem bitter, not snobby, it's because they're being raped, tax-wise. Sparta is an incredibly beautiful area to live in. Lakes, mountains, historical buildings, great micro brewery (Krogh's), good restaurants, good schools, but, alas, very, very high taxes.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:24 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,581,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
I lived in Sparta. Yes, there are a few snobs, but you just weed those people out and stay away from them. If they seem bitter, not snobby, it's because they're being raped, tax-wise. Sparta is an incredibly beautiful area to live in. Lakes, mountains, historical buildings, great micro brewery (Krogh's), good restaurants, good schools, but, alas, very, very high taxes.
i think there may be a disconnect between some of us on the definition of "very very high taxes". my brother lived in lake mohawk, *on* the golf course, double lot (a little over 1/2 acre), house is about 2,000-2,100 sq ft? updated kitchen, new siding (sorry, no brick, LOL!), newer deck. Taxes are about $6400. I guess that's high, but I wouldn't classify it as very very high. That's nowhere near your Montclair's, Glen Ridges, or even most towns I think!

Old 10-03-2007, 09:38 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,935,269 times
Oh and who could also forget that if you cross the border into Trenton in search of a good tomato pie your head will explode and bloodthirsty Zombie Bloods (not just Bloods but Zombie Bloods) will eat you and hike your next of kin's property taxes!

Old 10-03-2007, 09:52 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,337,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
i think there may be a disconnect between some of us on the definition of "very very high taxes". my brother lived in lake mohawk, *on* the golf course, double lot (a little over 1/2 acre), house is about 2,000-2,100 sq ft? updated kitchen, new siding (sorry, no brick, LOL!), newer deck. Taxes are about $6400. I guess that's high, but I wouldn't classify it as very very high. That's nowhere near your Montclair's, Glen Ridges, or even most towns I think!
I still don't think that's all that bad for NJ, being on a lake and all. To me double digets are high, and that is what my old house is now.

Diane

Old 10-03-2007, 10:03 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,697,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Is it an older home that your brother lived in? The newer homes are taxed much higher, but they are in the process of reassesing everyone there. They are also in the process of adding on to the High School. Right before we moved out of Sparta, a referendum in the neighborhood of 13 million (I believe it was) was passed. All at the taxpayers burden. Our taxes were $13,500 and climbing (I consider that very, very high), but you already know that story.... Some of my neighbors were (and still are) paying upwards of $18,000. They live in "newer" homes, but never bargained for such incredible tax hikes in such a short time.
I have to be honest, $6400 on Lake Mohawk sounds kinda low to me. How long ago was that?

Old 10-03-2007, 11:27 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,581,650 times
Quote:
Is it an older home that your brother lived in? The newer homes are taxed much higher, but they are in the process of reassesing everyone there. They are also in the process of adding on to the High School. Right before we moved out of Sparta, a referendum in the neighborhood of 13 million (I believe it was) was passed. All at the taxpayers burden. Our taxes were $13,500 and climbing (I consider that very, very high), but you already know that story.... Some of my neighbors were (and still are) paying upwards of $18,000. They live in "newer" homes, but never bargained for such incredible tax hikes in such a short time.
I have to be honest, $6400 on Lake Mohawk sounds kinda low to me. How long ago was that?

He sold 7 years ago, but the tax I quoted was the 2006 rates. I just took a sampling of 12 houses on their street (the houses immediately surrounding their house, I don't remember how "nice" they were, KWIM?) and the average tax of those houses is $7338 (one home was less than $6K! ). High to other state's standards, not high for NJ. If you'd like to look the street is Fairway Trail. Most of the houses on that block (and Lake Mohawk in general, I imagine) were built in the early 60's. I would also guess the houses paying 5 digits in taxes are probably a *great* deal bigger than the majority of the houses in Lake Mohawk, no?

Old 10-03-2007, 12:31 PM

9,331 posts, read 20,670,830 times
Quote:
My sweet Jesus lord. $13,500? Think about this: if you pay these taxes over the duration of a 30 year fixed mortgage, 13,500 x30 = $405,000. In essence, this is why I left NJ. The town, in effect, is asking you to pay the cost of another home just for the privilege of owning a building and land. Then, if you choose to live there longer, the tax remains. So, really, you don't really own your property, even after the duration of the loan. The town will put a padlock on your door so fast it will make your head spin. This, to me, is the definition of hubris. I know we must all pay taxes, but how can Sparta justify this price?

It's amazing to me, for people whom I consider to be amongst the most sophisticated in the country, why the citizenry can't push back against these bastards and demand a better system of government. 13,500 just plain sucks. Whenever I read a post like this, I can really relate to it. It sounds like StMaarten was forced out. I can't blame him/her.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:44 PM

13,366 posts, read 28,600,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
My sweet Jesus lord. $13,500? Think about this: if you pay these taxes over the duration of a 30 year fixed mortgage, 13,500 x30 = $405,000. In essence, this is why I left NJ. The town, in effect, is asking you to pay the cost of another home just for the privilege of owning a building and land. Then, if you choose to live there longer, the tax remains. So, really, you don't really own your property, even after the duration of the loan. The town will put a padlock on your door so fast it will make your head spin. This, to me, is the definition of hubris. I know we must all pay taxes, but how can Sparta justify this price?

It's amazing to me, for people whom I consider to be amongst the most sophisticated in the country, why the citizenry can't push back against these bastards and demand a better system of government. 13,500 just plain sucks. Whenever I read a post like this, I can really relate to it. It sounds like StMaarten was forced out. I can't blame him/her.
I've seen them over 16k in Sparta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey