Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 12:12 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,717,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
I guess I'm going to be kind of bias on this one to St.Maartin. I am a govt. employee, 30 years in the Police Dept., 50 years old and still working and PAYING TAXES like everyone else. She states that a guy 45 YOA has two pensions from NJ. It's almost impossible as you have to be at least 21 YOA to be hired by a PD. If you take the special retirement after 25 years the minimum you could be is 46 YOA with a reduced pension.
Most of the POs and fireman that I know came on in there mid 20s to mid 30's. Most of the uniformed employees like myself keep working into there mid 50's. The average age that one of these workers dies is 61YOA. Mostly ALL states have the same kind of retirement system for the sheriffs,POs and paid fireman. New York has a 20 and out retirement system and they are not in a fiscal mess like us, and I can go on and on. I quess this will **** alot of people off but these jobs are open to ANYONE who wants them.
I honestly don't know what the guy, that I mentioned previously, actually did, professionally. Also, please remember, I GUESSED at his age. He could be fifty, for all I know. I agree people working for the Fire or Police depts. deserve EVERY BIT of their pension. I'm not arguing that they shouldn't get it. It's the "double-dipping", as another poster stated perfectly, that I don't understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
then you get ppl like my dad who dropped dead from the job at age 55 who drew no pension! I don't understand the double dipping. I've heard a lot of ppl getting a job as a consultant after retirement but that doesn't lend itself to another pension.

plus, don't you have to pay into your pension?
Sorry to read that. Shouldn't the next of kin be able to get his pension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
If you retire from the police force/fire department and then get another civil service job yeah if you get enough years in sure you get the pension.
It's the ones that simutaneously (sp?) work in 2 different locales at the same time drawing 2 seperate salaries and pensions
I know of someone, in my hometown, that held two separate positions (at different times) within the town municipal building. She's retired now and her pension is SWEET! She plans on moving out of state, because the property taxes in Bergen Cty. are too high.....go figure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2007, 12:12 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,668,358 times
Quote:
If you retire from the police force/fire department and then get another civil service job yeah if you get enough years in sure you get the pension.
It's the ones that simutaneously (sp?) work in 2 different locales at the same time drawing 2 seperate salaries and pensions
Point of note, alot of attorneys do this, clerks, so on.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:14 PM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Point of note, alot of attorneys do this, clerks, so on.

Exactly..the town attorneys, municipal court judges etc

Old 10-05-2007, 12:27 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times
Quote:
how does this happen? i can barely keep up with my 40-50hr week job! lol i guess i wouldn't be good at ripping off the system!

Old 10-05-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
how does this happen? i can barely keep up with my 40-50hr week job! lol i guess i wouldn't be good at ripping off the system!
Well being a town attorney isn't necessarily a full time job, same with a town clerk, tax collector, etc. So they pick up a second job. Sometimes, its a salary of $75k/yr, and some jobs have a salary of $7k per year. Depends on the position.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:30 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,622,592 times
Yes Kate we pay 8 1/2 percent of our salary since day one. I have paid somewheres between 150-200 K total for approx. 30 years into that pension system. I feel I kind of earned some of what I hope to collect in a few years. Our Dept. has approx. 1000 members and I CANNOT name one member that has received 2 pensions. Alot of the people that double dip the pensions are the politicians and the part time workers. The judges work up to ten different little fiefdoms and we were FORCED to take them into the Police and Firemans Retirement System by the lawmakers. Most of the financial mess is from Trenton. They should fund the public school system thru income tax not property taxes. If you look at your school tax bill they are usually over 50% of your property taxes. In my town it's close to 62% and yes my property taxes are almost 14,000 dollars. Gotta love Jersey it's a left liberal leaning state that most people keep voting the slugs in office and thet don't give a poop about taxes. Oh by the way Corzine is raising the tolls and the gas tax, so let's go out and vote for the democrats in Trenton this November so they will sign off on this. Lets share the blame Christie Whitman was just as bad. Wheres Tom Kean when you need him. I think he penned the saying "Jersey and You, Perfect Together

Old 10-05-2007, 01:52 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post

Sorry to read that. Shouldn't the next of kin be able to get his pension?

ok, you made me think, lol. so here's the deal and i need to make a clarification. my mother, father, and my mother's former husband worked for the county. the ex died before my father, and when my father died, my mother could collect 1 pension - the highest of the 3. so, even though she and my dad worked for the county, she could only collect ONE pension. i don't understand that, so it really baffles me that people can collect 2 (not that I don't believe it, just seems weird that truly ELIGIBLE ppl can't collect on a spouse).

Old 10-05-2007, 02:24 PM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Yes Kate we pay 8 1/2 percent of our salary since day one. I have paid somewheres between 150-200 K total for approx. 30 years into that pension system. I feel I kind of earned some of what I hope to collect in a few years. Our Dept. has approx. 1000 members and I CANNOT name one member that has received 2 pensions. Alot of the people that double dip the pensions are the politicians and the part time workers. The judges work up to ten different little fiefdoms and we were FORCED to take them into the Police and Firemans Retirement System by the lawmakers. Most of the financial mess is from Trenton. They should fund the public school system thru income tax not property taxes. If you look at your school tax bill they are usually over 50% of your property taxes. In my town it's close to 62% and yes my property taxes are almost 14,000 dollars. Gotta love Jersey it's a left liberal leaning state that most people keep voting the slugs in office and thet don't give a poop about taxes. Oh by the way Corzine is raising the tolls and the gas tax, so let's go out and vote for the democrats in Trenton this November so they will sign off on this. Lets share the blame Christie Whitman was just as bad. Wheres Tom Kean when you need him. I think he penned the saying "Jersey and You, Perfect Together

Jersey...are you confusing me with someone else..I clearly stated the cops/firemen are entitled to their pensions they earned it
It's the other bloodsuckers..municipal attourneys, town administrtors et al to which I was referring and their little fiefdoms and don't even get me srtarted on NJEA

Old 10-05-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
YGotta love Jersey it's a left liberal leaning state that most people keep voting the slugs in office and thet don't give a poop about taxes.
Unfortunately, I haven't seen a real fiscally conservative republican in some time. It seems more and more often they get off on "family values" and "christian ethics" as opposed to telling me what I want to hear: smaller government.

Hell, nowadays you see crap like bond referendums including a million for some random wasteful items, then they throw in the $30k for new packs & minitor IVs (because they don't repair the II's (favorite) or III's (ugh) anymore) for the FD so that it looks like concern over the FD, and not another million going somewhere we don't want it to.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:15 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,717,131 times
Quote:
ok, you made me think, lol. so here's the deal and i need to make a clarification. my mother, father, and my mother's former husband worked for the county. the ex died before my father, and when my father died, my mother could collect 1 pension - the highest of the 3. so, even though she and my dad worked for the county, she could only collect ONE pension. i don't understand that, so it really baffles me that people can collect 2 (not that I don't believe it, just seems weird that truly ELIGIBLE ppl can't collect on a spouse).
Seriously, you should look into that. You might be missing out on something here. I don't agree with the law, but while it's still "do-able" in Jersey, you might as well take what's yours....everyone else is.

Last edited by stmaarten; 10-05-2007 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey