U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2007, 11:20 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,780,354 times

Advertisements

I think rockdad hits the nail on the head with some of the major problems facing this state. Parts of the post were a little off-topic, but the beginning was dead on.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 09:01 PM

3,446 posts, read 7,652,843 times
I just moved out of that area - and please, please do not move to Trenton. It has gone down hill very fast - I would rather live in Newark! The Bloods are having a lot of wars and shootings lately. Stay away or you might get caught in the crossfire.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:39 AM

12 posts, read 34,460 times
Are you looking for rural or suburbs? I grew up in the Hamilton Twp./Trenton area and moved about 15 years ago to Delaware Township, Hunterdon County. Beautiful historic town with a fantastic school K-8. Tight knit community.

Although, I would highly recommend also looking into PA, since NJ has the highest property taxes, highest car insurance, highest autism rate, and the list goes on ...

Old 11-27-2007, 07:35 PM
sj3

118 posts, read 573,235 times
To get back on track. I live in Robbinsville. It is a great town, but the taxes are out of control and are going nowhere but up. Although, I doubt you will find good taxes anywhere in the area. If I had the money, Cranbury would be where I would live!
Allentown is nice too.
Someone mentioned East Windsor..no, don't go there. The schools!
West Windsor, Plainsboro, Hopewell are all good too.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:27 AM

20 posts, read 99,211 times
Default Life in Trenton

I am in Trenton frequently to assist kids in foster care and I have occasion to visit the schools as well. Trenton might be ok for young couples or empty nesters or gay couples looking to rehab a wonderful old house but it is not an acceptable place for raising a family. The schools are a dismal failure. Drop out rates are around 50%. Key positions, like truanacy officers, are not filled. The streets are not safe for kids to be out on their own. I try to do my business there between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m., on the assumption that the bad folk arfe probably still sleeping.

My husband and I relocated from Connecticut to Princeton and if we had to do it over again we would live in PA and he would commute to NJ. NJ taxes are ridiculous, the government is corrupt, it's not a great place to live. And I am in Princeton, a beautiful town. Our trash collector told me "You do right by us and we'll do right by you." I felt sick. I wanted to say, "Just pick up what you're supposed to and let's not have an under-the-table relationship, ok?" Our restaurants are dirtier than where we lived in CT. What does the health inspector do?

We came to NJ open minded, thinking that we had heard was probably just stereotypes. But over the last year we have become very disalusioned with NJ, particularly with the amount we pay in taxes. There are nice communities like Pennington, Hopewell, and Princeton but overall it is not worth living in NJ when PA offers such a better value.

Good luck.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:50 PM

28 posts, read 138,142 times
Consider Montgomery, Princeton, Plainsboro, Cranbury or West Windsor, all within about 30 min of Trenton.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,422 times
Default Nottingham way and E State St???

Is the area directly next to where E State St and Nottingham way meet ok???
There is a fire station there and a playground also. Please let me know. Thanks!!

Old 12-05-2007, 11:16 AM

1,723 posts, read 2,780,354 times
NO! Get as far away from Trenton as you can!

Old 12-05-2007, 11:58 AM
sj3

118 posts, read 573,235 times
NO!!!! Don't go near Nottingham Way or E State Street. Unless you know Hamilton, I would not go there. There are areas that are fine, but you have to know those.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:53 PM

3,446 posts, read 7,652,843 times
The Trenton area is NOT improving. We lived in a nice area of Ewing - right next to Trenton - we hoped the surrounding area would improve - but it just got worse - the gang activity, gunshots and murders were getting closer and closer to the Ewing border. We started to have kids and got the hell out. It is just getting worse - taxes got higher also - dont kid yourself - the are is not revitalizing - .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or