Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 12:43 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,977,196 times

Advertisements

Gee sorry-I just looked through my past post history by giving folks advice on everything from what Seton Hall was like to what homeowner's insurance to get, etc... I didn't realize how unhelpful and arrogant I was

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 12:43 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
One more time folks...

Politically correct diatribe huh? What about smart growth and good economic sense? I don't know about you, but as an avid hunter and fisherman I value the rapidly dissapearing open space in New Jersey. I'd rather see our cities rebuilt rather than acres upon acres of McMansions and Home Depots. Abandoning the cities totally will simply mean losing more farmland and open space, more traffic and congestion, an overtaxed highway system, a rail system left to decay even further, and ultimately a greater tax burden/lower quality of life for all of us. I'm no bleeding heart-just a person with enough common sense to know that God isn't making any more open space in New Jersey

Yup...please review what you just wrote...it IS a classic example of a pointless Politically correct diatribe . You may not agree, and I'm sure you don't, and you are going to come back and attempt to argue your point again. But...the fact of the matter is , is that NJTina is spot on and you are 100% wrong. Your rant does not help the OP.

Diatribes such as you offered only make yourself look foolish, and I gather from your text you're not a stupid person...you just fail to see that you're not helping by not being 100% honest and right up front about places like Trenton. If you want to fight the battle you describe more power to you. The OP however isn't the least bit interested in your personal cause.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:45 PM

3,859 posts, read 9,977,196 times
Well don't come crying to me when all of Hopewell gets paved over...

Old 10-03-2007, 12:50 PM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,702 times
OK...I made a note of that to myself...thxs

Old 10-03-2007, 01:04 PM

329 posts, read 1,442,658 times
Quote:
Okaaaaaay...Agaaaaaaain...

Am I the only one who can see this? One more thing-if some mid-western hick picks up and moves to Camden, Paterson, Newark, or Trenton sight unseen solely based on testimony from a webforum, that person has bigger problems to worry about...such as, oh, I don't know, the fact that they're a complete imbecile who can't think for themselves? Tina, can you honestly say that if you were relocating across the country that you would base your decision on what you read in this forum alone?
See Fish..You knew EXACTLY what cities to mention, thus, AVOID. I knew you would say if someone moves across the country based on this board they get what they deserve more or less, have more serious issues,etc. I seriously doubt anyone would not weigh everything including this board. That is why we are supposed to offer guidance based on what we know to be TRUE. I briefly considered moving to Ga. not too long ago, but not knowing a thing about it besides climate I went to the Ga. board. Based on what I read, a nice vacation down there and the real estate market I decided against it. But I had no clue on what cities to avoid or favor unless I went to the boards. So, no I wouldn't move based on the boards alone but it played a large factor on where to look and where not to waste my time.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:11 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,683 times
My advice...stay out of New Jersey period. The taxes alone will suffocate anyone.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,439 times
Lightbulb Badfish 740

Badfish, I am one of those childless people who have moved to the area. Actually my kids are all grown. I was taxed out of Manalapan where I lived for 20 years. I bought a 100 year old brick colonial about 10 blocks outside the Trenton City line in Hamilton. That lady must NOT allow her kids to go to school in Trenton.
Funny you mentioned the Cracker Factory renovation on Center St. I saw it in the paper and went down to take a look. Well Latin Kings sell Heroin on next block and gangs control the whole hood. Wait till those "yuppies" catch a load of that action. I am living here less than 2 years and bought here only because my grandchildren all live in Jersey and if I want to survive on my pension I had no choice but to sell and move to a cheaper part of Jersey. 5 years and we will be gone. Taxes are insane. Corruption runs rampant. Illegals are welcomed with open arms. (While the taxpayers shoulder the burden}. Illegals use hospital emergency rooms as family medical care. Meanwhile 50% of your hospital bill goes to pay for those who don't. Our schools are overloaded and we aren't even allowed to ask them to prove they are here legally and entitled to go to school. Try to send your kid without his shots. See what they ask you to prove.60% of school budget goes to 20% of the students in so called "Abbott" districts.Improvement? Nary an iota. Oh by the way.Those 20% of the students; their parents don't even shoulder 10% of the tax bill. NOBODY ,NOBODY, ever talks about that. Illegals depress wages,inflate rents,send most of their money back to Mexico,(about 15 Billion a year by most accounts), refuse to learn English.Demand schooling for their kids in Spanish, and finally(Whew aren't you glad?), guess where 85-90% of the drugs that enter the country come across the border with all those illegals. MEXICO. All this politically correct B.S. with the thought police just daring people to exercise their rights under the Constitution to express a different point of view. You are now Un-American. A gasp, LIBERAL, even . A traitor, ready to give aid and comfort to the enemy. Well folks I have seen the enemy and he lives in your hood.Is taking your kids jobs,education,language, and just wants to be allowed to drive.LMAO. So lets just make the about 12-15 million illegals citizens. Accept another 6-8 million family members. Continue to drive down wages and send the real jobs to foriegn countries. And we can do it all over again just like we did 20 years ago. We are now a third world country and don't even know it. Pray for our kids because the only one who can help them is GOD. (OPPS ANOTHER NO NO.).
Keep your powder dry and your ear to the ground. Remember,don't let the neo-cons learn the pass word.
Just one more word. Isn't anybody worried about the more than 150,000 mercenary soldiers we have hired for the war in Iraq.They are an Army of radical rights armed to the teeth and honed to a razors edge in the insane thing we call the "war on terrorism". Little scary huh? Good thing even liberal Americans are gun nuts too. Opps,wasn't supposed to let that cat out of the bag.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:05 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,751 times
Quote:
In the top 25 you also have Camden, NJ, Baltimore MD, Washington, D.C., Newark, NJ, and Orlando, FL. Funny, I've been to concerts at Camden many times, my fiancee and I took a long weekend in the Inner Harbor in Baltimore two weeks ago, I go to D.C. quite frequently for work, I've been to the Ironbound in Newark many times, and I think we've all been to Disney World

The point is there are good and bad areas of every city in the United States. Would I venture far outside of the Inner Harbor at night? No. Would I walk around Southeast D.C. at night? Absolutely not. In the same token, while I like to go to De Lorenzo's Hamilton Avenue, (with all the rest of the suburban white folks who supposedly are nowhere to be found in the city), Rossi's Tavern, Tir Na Nog, or John Henry's on a Saturday night, I don't go cruising Stuyvesant Avenue afterwards, or take a walk through Cadwalader Park after dark. A little common sense goes a long way-if it looks like somewhere you shouldn't be, don't go there.

Case in point-my mother grew up on Monmouth Street near the train station in what used to be a solid neighborhood of nicely kept two family/rowhouses. Now its run down, infested with drug and gang activity, and sadly, that's one of the places I don't go anymore. However, on a Saturday morning I still go to State Barber Shop on Warren Street for a haircut and Cafe Ole down the street for a cup of coffee. Walks through Mill Hill park are always nice too.

The "don't go there" and "just forget about it" mentality is part of the problem and ultimately irresponsible. Ewing, Lawrence, Hamilton, and even Princeton have long taken the head in the sand approach to Trenton and now they are all experiencing problems in their border areas. Gang members don't respect municipal borders. Every business in Trenton that closes is one more nail in the coffin of the city. I'm not one to forget where I came from and I refuse to give the city over to the bad guys.

Good Post.

And I will back you up. You specifically told OP that the schools stunk and that people moving to Trenton are childless couples. Your posts pointing out favourable aspects were in response to the guy who said not to even drive through Trenton.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:11 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdad View Post
Illegals are welcomed with open arms. (While the taxpayers shoulder the burden}. Illegals use hospital emergency rooms as family medical care. Meanwhile 50% of your hospital bill goes to pay for those who don't. Our schools are overloaded and we aren't even allowed to ask them to prove they are here legally and entitled to go to school.

.. guess where 85-90% of the drugs that enter the country come across the border with all those illegals. MEXICO. ... You are now Un-American. A gasp, LIBERAL, even . A traitor, ready to give aid and comfort to the enemy. Well folks I have seen the enemy and he lives in your hood.Is taking your kids jobs,education,language, and just wants to be allowed to drive.LMAO. .....
Keep your powder dry and your ear to the ground. Remember,don't let the neo-cons learn the pass word.
Just one more word. Isn't anybody worried about the more than 150,000 mercenary soldiers we have hired for the war in Iraq.They are an Army of radical rights armed to the teeth and honed to a razors edge in the insane thing we call the "war on terrorism". Little scary huh? Good thing even liberal Americans are gun nuts too. Opps,wasn't supposed to let that cat out of the bag.

OK, this rant is so off-topic it isn't even funny.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:44 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,926 times
It is arrogant to tell people they forgot where they came from when many on here have never lived in those urban areas. Or their families for that matter. Statements like "I will not let the bad guys win" are just asinine. The problems there are way too complex to be looked at from that view.

The rants about illegals could be posted on any thread at this point. It is obvious that there are other issues just as relevant but that poster seems to block those out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey