U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 10:18 AM

12,937 posts, read 24,071,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Jug handles are FUN when you're pulling a 53' trailer... While I got you guys; why the heck is it called Route 1 and 9? Why isn't it Route 109 or Route 1 or Route 9. First time I got directions to the Fed Ex facility at Newark I dang near drove into the Hudson River looking for "Route 109" after getting directions over the phone!:D

sorry but that sentence made me crack up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 11:08 AM

3,314 posts, read 12,266,480 times
Quote:
Jug handles are FUN when you're pulling a 53' trailer... While I got you guys; why the heck is it called Route 1 and 9? Why isn't it Route 109 or Route 1 or Route 9. First time I got directions to the Fed Ex facility at Newark I dang near drove into the Hudson River looking for "Route 109" after getting directions over the phone!
1 and 9 is New Jersey slang for State Highways #1 and #9 combined. The two highways seperate in Woodbridge and become two different roadways. Now don't confuse 1 and 9 with 109. 109 is a highway in Cape May. By the way New Jersey law provides for the vehicle that is traveling within the traffic circle to have the right of way unless your in a traffic circle that has yield signs within it, if so then disregard what I just said. Are you confused now.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:26 PM

3,858 posts, read 8,058,900 times
If that's not enough we have 31/202, 202/206, and I-295 North which abruptly turns into I-95 South, but of course the turnpike is also I-95. Welcome to New Jersey

Old 10-04-2007, 01:35 PM

25,415 posts, read 24,177,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
If that's not enough we have 31/202, 202/206, and I-295 North which abruptly turns into I-95 South, but of course the turnpike is also I-95. Welcome to New Jersey
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! You know what "got" my in-laws when they came visiting from cross-country? The fact that streets (local streets) continuously change names.

I remember one time I told her, "Well, you need to take Washington for a bit, but watch out, because it turns into Westwood Ave., but then after you sort of zig around the big fireman statue it becomes Demarest Ave. Well, I mean after you go through that tiny connector street because only the first few yards is a two-way, you have to hook around and make a right to get BACK to Demarest. Oh. And then it splits."

"Into what?" she asked, trying to hide her trepidation and confusion.

"Into...either...River Vale Road or Westwood," I said. "Or, like, something else."

"Well, which one?"

"I don't remember," I confessed.

"But don't you live there?"

"Well...yes. But I never look at the street signs at that T."

"Why not?"

"Because, what help would that be, really? It changes again two streets down."

Even with those concise and inarguable directions, she still got lost. Go figure! (shrug)

It was REALLY fun explaining for their trip back to JFK Airport that the Parkway is the Thruway but only after you go past the geographical area of the on-ramp which only goes south, which technically you don't want to do because then you're going in the wrong direction, but you can ONLY go onto the Parkway south there as there is no north entrance, so you just want to go south but DON'T take the parkway, just sidetrack back to two towns before ours and THEN you get on the Parkway north and then you're golden!!!!!!!!!

My husband (who grew up in SoCal)'s first question to me the first time he visited was a rather timid "Um...so how come streets are...different here?"

"Different how?" I asked.

"Well," he explained, "in L.A., streets generally run straight either north-south or east-west."

I burst out laughing.

Last edited by JerZ; 10-04-2007 at 01:43 PM..

Old 10-04-2007, 01:56 PM

3,314 posts, read 12,266,480 times
Quote:
The scary part is we all know where were going (well at least most of us)

Old 10-04-2007, 02:07 PM

12,284 posts, read 30,957,961 times
Quote:
Jug handles are FUN when you're pulling a 53' trailer... While I got you guys; why the heck is it called Route 1 and 9? Why isn't it Route 109 or Route 1 or Route 9. First time I got directions to the Fed Ex facility at Newark I dang near drove into the Hudson River looking for "Route 109" after getting directions over the phone!
Because it IS Route 1 and 9! Route 1 and 9 merge for a bit, then branch off in different directions. Same goes for 202/206 for a stretch, Rt 22 and 78, and Rt 9 and the Parkway, to name a few.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
oops, responded b4 I saw this. lol Route 287 South also turns into Route 440 North (but it's really east and west at that point! )

Old 10-04-2007, 02:09 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,114,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! You know what "got" my in-laws when they came visiting from cross-country? The fact that streets (local streets) continuously change names.
We've got that down here in the Atlanta Metro area too. I go less than three miles on a road from my house to the highway, and it changes names from Marietta Highway to Holly Springs Parkway to Canton Highway to Old Route 5 in that three mile stretch.

That was one good thing about living in Las Vegas- except in the outlying areas, the streets were all on a N/S, E/W grid, all followed consistent numbering schemes, and didn't change names from one end of the valley all the way to the other. Of course, that alone isn't a good enough reason to stay in Las Vegas

Bob

Old 10-04-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
The scary part is we all know where were going (well at least most of us)
when my brother's girlfriend moved here from IL, she was constantly amazed at how we had these "road" discussions and we could finish each other's sentences...

"So you take Rt 24 East, but it's actually old 24 or 124 but the signs say 513. Anyway, make a right there and you'll be on 206 South. Stay on it, it'll merge with 202 south. Get onto 287 South which will split, but both sides take you to the same place. Get BACK onto 202/206 South, but stay to the right to go onto 206. It's a redesigned circle so you need to take the 3rd "exit" of the circle which will take you back onto 206. If you follow it all the way around, you'll be back on 202/206 North - you'll know because you'll see the "Time to Eat" Diner on your right." Too funny! She (and others) said she never heard so much conversation about roads and directions and alternate routes as she did when living here. LOL

Old 10-04-2007, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
We've got that down here in the Atlanta Metro area too. I go less than three miles on a road from my house to the highway, and it changes names from Marietta Highway to Holly Springs Parkway to Canton Highway to Old Route 5 in that three mile stretch.

That was one good thing about living in Las Vegas- except in the outlying areas, the streets were all on a N/S, E/W grid, all followed consistent numbering schemes, and didn't change names from one end of the valley all the way to the other. Of course, that alone isn't a good enough reason to stay in Las Vegas

Bob
Seattle, while having that N/S, E/W grid - is a fricken nightmare in my opinion! My SIL lives at 57668734 NW 125436434th Street NESW, while my cousin, in the same town, lives at 57668737 NW 125436434th Place NESW, which are nowhere near each other, LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or