Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 07:10 PM

123 posts, read 568,412 times

Advertisements

Hey JerZ, where do you live...I live in Westwood off of Washington Ave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 11:13 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegeguy12 View Post
Hey JerZ, where do you live...I live in Westwood off of Washington Ave
Hi, Collegeguy12!!!

I don't live in New Jersey any more.

Over the course of 20 years I lived:

On Ash Street (off Lafayette)
Right past Bogert Pond
Fern St. off Lexington (or Old Hook)

You're back near Third Street or thereabouts? You don't need to give the exact location, LOL. (As a thousand freaky internet stalkers take a plane to go find Collegeguy.) But I'm thinking that's what you must mean b/c that's where the neighborhoods start around there, before town. When I lived in the second two locations, my son and I CONSTANTLY walked to town. I loved it...that's what initially made me respond to this "walkable downtown" thread!

Old 10-12-2007, 05:44 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Only the most intelligent of people can successfully navigate a jug handle. That is how we weed the stupid out of the state. They end up like the people in this video:
NJ Jug Handle and get so frustrated they move to far off lands like TN.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:16 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Your problem is you didn't go to catholic school because Sister Marymacbreakyourknuckles would have taught you proper grammer, one way or another
Just like Sister Mary Rulersmack would have taught you proper spelling???

Old 10-12-2007, 07:21 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Oh, btw, anyone who complains about traffic circles in NJ ought to see the MAGIC ROUNDABOUT in Swindon, UK:

Old 10-12-2007, 08:55 AM

10 posts, read 32,023 times
in all seriousness, if i didn't have navigation i would be lost everytime i leave my house

half the time the streets don't even have signs, the streets curve and wind and branch off all over the place

i made a wrong turn and tried to go around the block and there aint no around the block!

chicago streets, mostly N-S-E-W and numbered so you know if ur going the right way

much easier

NJ road grids were created by idiots who couldn't figure out the way easier method like chicago has

and all you NJ geeks that get mad, there's no way you can disagree that the Chicago method is a better easier method

<moderator cut- spelling it differently doesn't make it any less profane!>

Last edited by BobKovacs; 10-12-2007 at 09:04 AM..

Old 10-12-2007, 09:03 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
The reason most of the main roads from town to town in NJ are so twisty-turny is because these roads were put in place hundreds of years ago as "get me and my house from Woodbridge to Rahway as easily as possible". That meant following paths thru the woods, across narrow or shallow areas of streams and rivers, etc. They didn't have bulldozers and chainsaws to clear a straight path between towns, and over the years these roads got improved, widened, etc. Using my Woodbridge-Rahway example, "Rahway Ave" in Woodbridge becomes "Woodbridge Ave" when you get to Rahway- it use to be "the Road to Woodbridge" and in Woodbridge it was "the Road to Rahway".

Chicago was developed many years later and got the same gridded road system that NYC, Las Vegas, and others have. I definitely agree that it's easier to navigate (I loved that fact in Vegas), but can you imagine gridding an entire state like NJ? Urban layouts don't quite work the same as the layout for an area that started so long ago and evolved accordingly.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:12 AM

37 posts, read 166,786 times
U-turns or jug handles..whatever you want to call them...are used as a means for traffic control. As anyone who is from NJ or visits NJ would know, we have a whole lotta people in this state. Picture this scene...

Rt 37 East in Toms River....

It's July and EVERYONE is going to the beach. They want to stop at Wawa (long live WAWA!!) for a sandwhich and to gas up. Only problem is that WAWA is on the Westbound side of the highway.

If there was a left hand turn lane.....the 100 cars that want to go into wawa would be backed up 3 lights...well out of the turn lane and in the fast lane instead....that would back up traffic up to the parkway..which would in turn back up traffic up the parkway as far as the eye can see. If you think I'm exaggerating...okay..maybe I am..a little. But the parkway already gets backed up for hours on a Saturday morning in the summer...

Now...with a u-turn (3 rights make a left) the traffic is dispursed enough that you can still utilize all 3 lanes on the highway and everyone gets their gas and coffee without a million people honking and cursing them off. Traffic still is terrible but it's bearable...

U-Turns are definitely needed...they take some getting used to but without them we would be waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting....you get my drift.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:19 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The reason most of the main roads from town to town in NJ are so twisty-turny is because these roads were put in place hundreds of years ago as "get me and my house from Woodbridge to Rahway as easily as possible". That meant following paths thru the woods, across narrow or shallow areas of streams and rivers, etc. They didn't have bulldozers and chainsaws to clear a straight path between towns, and over the years these roads got improved, widened, etc. Using my Woodbridge-Rahway example, "Rahway Ave" in Woodbridge becomes "Woodbridge Ave" when you get to Rahway- it use to be "the Road to Woodbridge" and in Woodbridge it was "the Road to Rahway".

Chicago was developed many years later and got the same gridded road system that NYC, Las Vegas, and others have. I definitely agree that it's easier to navigate (I loved that fact in Vegas), but can you imagine gridding an entire state like NJ? Urban layouts don't quite work the same as the layout for an area that started so long ago and evolved accordingly.
bob - i admire your effort, but methinks it's like spitting into the wind, KWIM?

Old 10-12-2007, 10:24 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
bob - i admire your effort, but methinks it's like spitting into the wind, KWIM?
yeah, I know.....I spanked him for the trolling on another post, so we'll see if he starts behaving....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey