Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 07:31 AM

4 posts, read 23,400 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Next week my g/f, me, and her 12 year old daughter are going to the Asbury Park/Bradley beach area. I was wondering if there are any ferries that run from Asbury Park or somewhere close to there, to NYC. We wanted to avoid driving, tolls, parking fees, and just trying to find a parking spot in general.

And the question I have about Tinton Falls is we booked a hotel there, and are wondering about crime in that area. Is it fairly decent or the slums?

Thanks for your help. We are also wanting to check out the Statue of Liberty, the new Freedom Tower, Central Park, and all the main NYC attractions...Also going to enjoy the NJ beaches and food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 08:07 AM

88,579 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanson1985 View Post
Hello,

Next week my g/f, me, and her 12 year old daughter are going to the Asbury Park/Bradley beach area. I was wondering if there are any ferries that run from Asbury Park or somewhere close to there, to NYC. We wanted to avoid driving, tolls, parking fees, and just trying to find a parking spot in general.

And the question I have about Tinton Falls is we booked a hotel there, and are wondering about crime in that area. Is it fairly decent or the slums?

Thanks for your help. We are also wanting to check out the Statue of Liberty, the new Freedom Tower, Central Park, and all the main NYC attractions...Also going to enjoy the NJ beaches and food.
The Seastreak Ferries run from Atlantic Highlands to lower Manhattan. Atlantic Highlands is about 20 minutes from either Tinton Falls or Asbury Park, and I believe there is parking there (should be on the website).

http://www.seastreak.com/nynjschedules.aspx

Your question about Tinton Falls is amusing. A fair enough question for a traveler, but Tinton Falls is a lovely and peaceful town with lots of trees and nice homes. Your hotel is probably on a highway and therefore less bucolic, but it will not be in a slum.

Sounds like a great trip--the best of both worlds. Enjoy!

Here's a good Asbury Park spot that everyone can enjoy

http://silverballmuseum.com/

Old 08-01-2012, 08:11 AM

589 posts, read 1,347,689 times
Tinton Falls is a good area. Don't do stupid things, take reasonable precautions, but Tinton Falls will be fine. If you want to take a ferry into NYC, you'll have to go to Middletown or Atlantic Highlands. You would probably do better taking the train, if you're staying in Tinton Falls I would recommend the NJ Transit out of Red Bank to get to NYC. You don't get the 'ride the boat' experience of the Ferry, but the train is a great way to commute into New York. Parking in Red Bank is hard to come by, but if you find Red Bank Catholic School, you can find street parking there in the summer, and walk a few blocks to the train station.

For beaches, I'll recommend 7 Presidents Park in Long Branch. Or take the drive to Spring Lake. There's no boardwalk attractions in either, but nice clean beaches, and less crowds. If you want boardwalks, you want either Keansburg, Pt Pleasant, or Seaside Heights.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieM View Post
Tinton Falls is a good area. Don't do stupid things, take reasonable precautions, but Tinton Falls will be fine. If you want to take a ferry into NYC, you'll have to go to Middletown or Atlantic Highlands. You would probably do better taking the train, if you're staying in Tinton Falls I would recommend the NJ Transit out of Red Bank to get to NYC. You don't get the 'ride the boat' experience of the Ferry, but the train is a great way to commute into New York. Parking in Red Bank is hard to come by, but if you find Red Bank Catholic School, you can find street parking there in the summer, and walk a few blocks to the train station.

For beaches, I'll recommend 7 Presidents Park in Long Branch. Or take the drive to Spring Lake. There's no boardwalk attractions in either, but nice clean beaches, and less crowds. If you want boardwalks, you want either Keansburg, Pt Pleasant, or Seaside Heights.
If you did decide to take a train, OP, here's a little secret: Little Silver, one stop and maybe three minutes before Red Bank, has more parking. They have daily parking available--there is a machine where you pay. Give yourself enough time to park and get to the other side of the tracks. Red Bank is a "cool" town so everyone thinks of that station first, but it's not always the best choice.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:40 AM

Thank you all for your input. The ferry cost looks pretty steep and would be over $200 for all of us which is out of our budget, for some reason I thought they were cheaper. The train seems like the way to go, and I will definitely note the parking area in Little Sliver. Which station would it be to get off in Manhattan near Times Square, Statue of Liberty, and Central Park?

Old 08-01-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanson1985 View Post
Thank you all for your input. The ferry cost looks pretty steep and would be over $200 for all of us which is out of our budget, for some reason I thought they were cheaper. The train seems like the way to go, and I will definitely note the parking area in Little Sliver. Which station would it be to get off in Manhattan near Times Square, Statue of Liberty, and Central Park?
Well...the Statue of Liberty is nowhere near Times Square and Central Park, which aren't exactly near each other either, but are closer to each other than the Statue.

IMO, to go downtown, your best bet would be a train to Newark, then get off there and take the PATH to the World Trade Center. You can walk to the Statue of Liberty ferry from there. You also can catch the NYC subway up to midtown to get to Times Square and Central Park, but I think it's going to be hard to do that all in one day. If you decide to go to Midtown first, then go all the way into Manhattan to New York Penn Station.

Before you go to Manhattan, I would advise you spend a few minutes studying a map of how it is all laid out. Manhattan is one of the easiest places in the world to get around as long as you have a grasp of north/south/east/west and get it in your head that it's a long, narrow island and can see that downtown/lower Manhattan/the financial district is not where midtown is.

It also helps to get it in your head where Manhattan is in relation to New Jersey.
Google Maps

Old 08-01-2012, 09:35 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
All the trains, well NJ Transit and Amtrak go to Penn Station in Manhattan. Other than that there are PATH subway trains from a half dozen or so stations in NYC to a half dozen or so points in NJ.

If you are driving to Asbury Park there is metered parking within the first 2 or 3 blocks of the boardwalk and beach, beyond that the parking is mostly free. Wherever they have numbered parking spots they require you to pay at any of the parking pay station thingies that are nearby, you punch in your space, etc, similar to Manhattan.

Tinton Falls has the big name hotels just off the GSP and Rt 36, generally low/no crime area as others have mentioned. I agree you should surf the map sites and get a handle as to how it's all laid out.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:38 AM

5,772 posts, read 16,586,846 times
Also if you are staying in Tinton Falls and taking a train in, well you will have to take a cab or something, unless you bring a car. Cars are generally much easier to deal with in NJ while they are the opposite in Manhattan.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:20 PM

Also, are there any good fresh catch seafood restaurants/shacks you would recommend in the Asbury Park/Bradley Beach areas? Thank you all for you help, I appreciate it.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:16 PM

181 posts, read 1,122,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Also if you are staying in Tinton Falls and taking a train in, well you will have to take a cab or something, unless you bring a car. Cars are generally much easier to deal with in NJ while they are the opposite in Manhattan.
if you are staying in the Hotels on route 33 in Tinton Falls or even the hotel on Jumping Brook Rd in Neptune near Walmart there is the 836 bus that will get you to/from AP station but you have to follow the bus schedule carefully as it runs every 2 hours 40 minutes on weekends(on weekdays runs every 1:15 except for the walmart leg and outlets check times carefully) and it wll get you to AP station and from there is a shuttle on Friday,sat and sunday that will get you to the beachfront or the 832 bus will do it as well or 837 bus on sat not on sundays
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey