Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2012, 11:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,675 times

Advertisements

Hi all, any advice on this is welcome.

For the last couple of years I've been living in Rutherford and commuting to Little Falls. I'd have preferred to live in Hoboken but tat my age (30) I find myself unwilling to live with a roommate, combining that with the stress of keeping a car, and the godawful reverse commute out onto 495 in the morning.

Last week, I finally achieved a small dream of mine, and obtained employment in NYC. (Financial District to be specific). I like living in Rutherford, but the NJT train schedule is not as convenient as it seems, plus, I'd still rather live somewhere where there are more young single professionals. (Rutherford seems to have a lot of young couples and families). However, I have an awesome landlord, who isn't raising the rent, and has let me live month to month without question. I'm considering a move. I know Hoboken very well, but the rents there are generally out of my price range, with occasional outliers. I'd like to keep it at under 1450. I'd also like to live along the PATH to WTC. I know very little about Jersey City, from what i've seen and read, I'd rather not live in the Heights or Journal Square. Newport, Paulus Hook and Exchange Place are out of reach. However, I do see occasional listings popping up for the area around Grove St PATH, of which I am unfamiliar.

So I'm asking, what's the best move?

1. Stay put for now. - Low Rent, Walking distance to NJT, don't have to hire movers.
2. Hoboken - Good nightlife, short commute
3. Grove St Path area - unknown quantity, I don't know what kind of neighborhood it is.
4. Or I could just say f it, and try and find a studio in Astoria.

opinions? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 08:17 AM

35 posts, read 109,161 times
Do # 4.

Live anywhere before the I-78 crossing in donwtown JC and you should be fine. That is, any place between colgate street and grove path.

The closer you get to I-78, the cheaper apartments are, check craigslist. Neighbors in JC that might be in your budget range include Liberty Harbor North, The Village, Hamilton Park, Harismus Cove.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:45 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Let me offer another idea that may not have occurred to you.
In Bayonne, you will find that rents are considerably cheaper than in the more "hip" areas of Jersey City, and the relative safety is far better than in the less fashionable areas of JC.

No, Bayonne isn't stylish or hip, but it is a decent place to live, with good access to NYC.
If you were to get an apt on The East Side, you could walk to the Light Rail line, which would get you to the Path station at Exchange Place pretty quickly.

Just something to think about.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:30 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsw582 View Post
Hi all, any advice on this is welcome.

For the last couple of years I've been living in Rutherford and commuting to Little Falls. I'd have preferred to live in Hoboken but tat my age (30) I find myself unwilling to live with a roommate, combining that with the stress of keeping a car, and the godawful reverse commute out onto 495 in the morning.

Last week, I finally achieved a small dream of mine, and obtained employment in NYC. (Financial District to be specific). I like living in Rutherford, but the NJT train schedule is not as convenient as it seems, plus, I'd still rather live somewhere where there are more young single professionals. (Rutherford seems to have a lot of young couples and families). However, I have an awesome landlord, who isn't raising the rent, and has let me live month to month without question. I'm considering a move. I know Hoboken very well, but the rents there are generally out of my price range, with occasional outliers. I'd like to keep it at under 1450. I'd also like to live along the PATH to WTC. I know very little about Jersey City, from what i've seen and read, I'd rather not live in the Heights or Journal Square. Newport, Paulus Hook and Exchange Place are out of reach. However, I do see occasional listings popping up for the area around Grove St PATH, of which I am unfamiliar.

So I'm asking, what's the best move?

1. Stay put for now. - Low Rent, Walking distance to NJT, don't have to hire movers.
2. Hoboken - Good nightlife, short commute
3. Grove St Path area - unknown quantity, I don't know what kind of neighborhood it is.
4. Or I could just say f it, and try and find a studio in Astoria.

opinions? Thoughts?

Around Grove St. is fine. A lot of my co-worker live in that area and take the PATH to the city. Bayonne is also fine as another poster alluded to. A studio at 30 years old...I would kill myself.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
Around Grove St. is fine. A lot of my co-worker live in that area and take the PATH to the city. Bayonne is also fine as another poster alluded to. A studio at 30 years old...I would kill myself.
A studio is not my top choice, especially since I have a fairly decent sized 1br right now. But it's still better than roommates. Bayonne seems fine, but I feel like it would be fundamentally no different than Rutherford. You still have to take two trains, one of which shuts down later at night, and it would probably be more families. (Nothing against them, but I'd rather be living where there are a lot of 20/30 something singles) Given the choice, I'd want to be somewhere around the PATH, and near someplace where other single people live. Given my choice, it's always going to be Hoboken, but finding an apartment seems like a near impossibility.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:37 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,320,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsw582 View Post
A studio is not my top choice, especially since I have a fairly decent sized 1br right now. But it's still better than roommates. Bayonne seems fine, but I feel like it would be fundamentally no different than Rutherford. You still have to take two trains, one of which shuts down later at night, and it would probably be more families. (Nothing against them, but I'd rather be living where there are a lot of 20/30 something singles) Given the choice, I'd want to be somewhere around the PATH, and near someplace where other single people live. Given my choice, it's always going to be Hoboken, but finding an apartment seems like a near impossibility.
I spent a lot of time looking at Hoboken. It's a great town because of the access to the city and the sense of community. I ended up moving to the watefront in Jersey City. I like it. Easy access to the city and Hoboken via the Light Rail. I also have amazing views of Manhattan so I feel like I have best of both worlds...quiet neighorhood and easy access to everything.

Old 08-03-2012, 04:36 PM

323 posts, read 575,089 times
and it would probably be more families. (Nothing against them, but I'd rather be living where there are a lot of 20/30 something singles)

never underestimate the good time you can have with married women who are lonely and looking for younger men lol

Old 08-03-2012, 06:15 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,329 times
Live in the cheapest place possible, save your money for a house of your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey