U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 12:23 PM

4 posts, read 6,973 times

Advertisements

Hi, just wondering if you decided on somewhere to live? We currently live near Weybridge in Surrey and my husband is interviewing for a job with his current company at one of the firm's R&D sites in Parsippany (the sister site to Weybridge). Like you guys we want to get some inside info about possible places to live (just in case). We know there are lots of differences between US and UK which is one of the reasons we are excited about the possibility of coming over, but we would be looking for somewhere that had some similarities with where we are now (i.e. a safe family orientated area with a good sense of community, great schools, shops resteraunts and coffeeshops in walking distance and good transport links (road and rail). Is this pie in the sky?

We both commute to work now now (40-60 mins) so while we prefer less time communting we are pragmatic about having to do it and would trade commute time for better location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 01:32 PM

7,577 posts, read 19,978,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo G View Post
Hi, just wondering if you decided on somewhere to live? We currently live near Weybridge in Surrey and my husband is interviewing for a job with his current company at one of the firm's R&D sites in Parsippany (the sister site to Weybridge). Like you guys we want to get some inside info about possible places to live (just in case). We know there are lots of differences between US and UK which is one of the reasons we are excited about the possibility of coming over, but we would be looking for somewhere that had some similarities with where we are now (i.e. a safe family orientated area with a good sense of community, great schools, shops resteraunts and coffeeshops in walking distance and good transport links (road and rail). Is this pie in the sky?

We both commute to work now now (40-60 mins) so while we prefer less time communting we are pragmatic about having to do it and would trade commute time for better location.
You have tons of choices..Parsippany is smack dab in the middle of the northern portion of the State. Areas west of Parsippany would be my suggestion... if you like small near by town - look into Denville, Boonton Twp. (not town), Morristown, Hackettstown. What is your price range? This would help us as well.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:12 PM

We are not sure if we would be renting or buying at the mo - depending on whether we can sell in UK. If buying we would be looking for something upto $600k and if renting I guess in the $3-$4k region.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:37 PM

7,577 posts, read 19,978,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo G View Post
We are not sure if we would be renting or buying at the mo - depending on whether we can sell in UK. If buying we would be looking for something upto $600k and if renting I guess in the $3-$4k region.
Hummm..I just took my place of the market. I was listed at 579K. But..if you decide to buy - let me know. Maybe we can make a deal : ))) It's a brit's paradise out here...lol : ) built in pool...4 acres...country store down the road that sells british goodies...all within 30 mins. of Parsippany : )
If you end up renting..3 to 4K will be plenty! www.gsmls.com is a great website for rentals and homes for sale in NJ.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:37 PM

523 posts, read 3,281,595 times
hi Jo G,

how amusing...from your description, your husband must work at the same company i do! how did the interview go? are you likely to be making the move?

we ended up living in a place called Basking Ridge, which is only about 15 minutes drive from the office at the times i commute (i tend to arrive early, and leave early). its a very safe, very quiet area, with plenty of other young(ish) familys. there is a NJ transit station within walking distance of the house, and there is pavement [UK->US translation sidewalk!] all the way both to the station, and to the village itself, which we found to be a rarity in the american suburbs.

the village itself has good schools for all ages (although we dont have to worry about that yet ourselves). there are lots of public parks and playgrounds in the area, and a couple of little restaurants in the village itself, as well as plenty of decent restaurants within a short drive of basking ridge.

with the benefit of having been here for a while, the places i personally would suggest looking at, knowing where you husband will be needing to commute to, and knowing you have a young child, would be:

basking ridge, bernardsville, madison, chatham, chester, summit, far hills. quite a few people who work at the office also live in either montclair or hoboken, but they tend to be the younger ones, without kids, who are looking to be closer to NYC and the action! (incidentally, it still takes only an hour to drive from basking ridge into the centre of NYC, if you pick your time right)

i wouldnt recommend parsippany itself...surely your hubby will want at least a short drive to get away from work? also, from the little ive seen, parsippany appears to lack much of a centre, and is rather a sprawling area full of various businesses. the places ive listed above i think are better suited to fellow brits, as we are used to towns/villages you can actually walk into, which have more of a community feel to them.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:45 PM

127 posts, read 479,986 times
Hi Jo G,
I would recommend Basking Ridge (Bernards Twp.), Bernardsville, Peapack/Gladstone, Mendham, Chester, or Randolph. Schools are excellent there. The towns are full of young couples with kids and are very safe. And you would get more for your money (bigger lots) than in Madison, Summit, and Chatham.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:29 PM

Hi kronenborg
you are probably right about working for the same company (we were hoping someone might pick up the references ;-) )

In the end we had a bit of a wobble about the move, it seemed too hard to figure out all the things we would need to consider in the short amount of time we had to make a decision, so my husband made the difficult decision to withdrew from the interview. Its a shame really and we are still wondering if we made the right choice, but between family ties, the schools, the house and my own job etc etc, I guess we took the safe (er) option.

I hope you are getting on ok out there and having fun in the US - enjoy Labour Day!!
Jo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or