Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2012, 06:50 AM

335 posts, read 974,895 times

Advertisements

I visited Cranford yesterday and really came away impressed. I think it would be a great place for my family and I to settle down. Cranford has alot going for it: good schools, nice down town, train station, affordable pricing for its real estate market.

The only concern I have is the potential for flooding within Cranford, given the fact a river runs through the town. I recognize that 95% of the time, flooding is a non-factor.

Are there areas of Cranford that are immune to flooding?

I heard that the Nomahegan Park section of Cranford is especially vulnerable to flooding. Any there other areas to avoid within Cranford with regards to flooding?

I'm not from the area, so any insight would be welcome. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 08:12 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,020,524 times
The Northeast quadrant is the area that is in the flood zone with the exception of local flooding, most of Cranford is immune. Work with someone local so that you may benefit from neighborhood experience.

Old 08-05-2012, 02:57 PM

173 posts, read 657,523 times
Use this website to view potentially flood prone areas: https://hazards.fema.gov/femaportal/wps/portal

I believe most of the flood prone areas are in the Central part of town, not North-Eastern. Basically along the river all the way from North to South. Check out this image of mandatory evacuation sites from last year: http://local.nixle.com/alert/4724508/

Old 08-05-2012, 04:01 PM

303 posts, read 920,126 times
Why dont your grow a pair and just buy the house. Whats the big deal on a little water in the baesment? In old days u think people had feds cover them for everything insurance etc. Time for the youth of today to put up or shut up.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:45 PM

173 posts, read 657,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPickle View Post
Why dont your grow a pair and just buy the house. Whats the big deal on a little water in the baesment? In old days u think people had feds cover them for everything insurance etc. Time for the youth of today to put up or shut up.
Note to self #1: "Ask PeterPickle what's the big deal with public sewers in NJ. Bet he knows all about pit toilets, squat toilets and the like".

Note to self #2: Too many choices, too many choices, too many choices...

Old 08-05-2012, 05:48 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
Quote:
Good call. It is only the youth that care about buying a house in a flood zone. I can only imagine what other nuggets of good information you have for us.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:53 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Yeah, a little water in the basement

Hurricane Irene floods city of Cranford, NJ - YouTube

OP is wise to avoid flood zones. PP can just flip his flood-zone houses to someone not as bright.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:17 AM

132 posts, read 520,526 times
I love love loved Cranford and wanted to buy a house there when I was younger - that is until I saw all the homeowners near Nomehagen Park with their belongings on the front yard drying out. Still is a wonderful town however if that does not concern you.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:43 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,189 times
To my knowledge, Cranford really doesn't have it as bad as say Bound Brook.

Also it's all about preparation. Before you move in, hire a contractor and see what his opinion is. Look at the crawl space, see if there are any cracks or corrosion within the foundation. I feel like some flood victims don't have any common sense or in denial "Oh my house is perfect, nothing ever bad could happen to it!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey