U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 01:44 PM

12,948 posts, read 24,092,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookdaleresident View Post
$6000 will get you 3 months rent ($1000/month), security deposit, some furniture. Some larger apt complexes won't rent to unemployed applicants; others have income requirements.
Yes to the above..I also forgot to mention in NJ, can't say for SI as I do not know, landlords can legally charge and most do 1 1/2 months rent as security deposit....just wanted to point that out as many southern states do not charge that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 03:45 PM

2,737 posts, read 9,353,379 times
thanks njkate, I did mean to include that. that would mean $2500 up front if the rent is $1000/month. I don't think I'd move to NJ without a job, or more cash in hand.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:38 PM

6 posts, read 18,253 times
Thank you so much for ya'lls help.. I do plan to save up more before i make the move.. Also I do not plan on moving there untill I have a few interviews lined up. I do have some education other that just real estate and high school. I graduated at 16 and have continued my schooling. I do have a car which is a 06 malibu so if some one can help with how much the insurance will be that will be great. Another thing what area in staten island or new jersey would be the safest area I have yet to see that question answered.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:42 PM

2,737 posts, read 9,353,379 times
I don't know about SI. There are many safe places in NJ. If you have an area in mind, someone could give you more info on that. Auto insurance depends on your driving record, age, and where the car will be garaged. I have a 2007 Honda and pay $1300 which is considered reasonable.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:11 PM

2,212 posts, read 6,181,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOVING2NJ View Post
Thank you so much for ya'lls help.. I do plan to save up more before i make the move.. Also I do not plan on moving there untill I have a few interviews lined up. I do have some education other that just real estate and high school. I graduated at 16 and have continued my schooling. I do have a car which is a 06 malibu so if some one can help with how much the insurance will be that will be great. Another thing what area in staten island or new jersey would be the safest area I have yet to see that question answered.
Insurance is pretty high up here.

As someone mentioned, there are lots of safe areas, it would be easier to come up with ideas if you were more specific - lifestyle etc. that you are interested in.

Do you mind me asking -why NJ and Staten Island? It just seems a strange area for someone young to head for, usually the goal is New York.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:33 AM

12,948 posts, read 24,092,683 times
The Morristown NJ area is nice, not cheap but nice, relatively safe.
Many major corporations are headquartered around Morristown or within 20 miles of it.
Morristown has a nice night life for younger people, also the train into NYC.

Then you have Hoboken, not cheap but a nice nightlife, train into NYC in minutes..parking a car may be a major hassle in Hoboken.

I'm sure there are areas in Begen County as well but I'm not familiar with the area.

Another is Red Bank being you have a car....not to far to the shore area and within commuting distance to North Jersey & NYC.

Now mind you any of the above areas are not cheap, you can expect to pay upwards of $1000.00 per month for rent in a 1 bedroom apt.....stay away from electric heat try & find an apartment where your heat is included in your monthly rental.

As far as Staten Island you may get more info if you post your question on the NY forum.

Last edited by njkate; 10-09-2007 at 07:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or