U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2007, 03:13 PM

468 posts, read 449,061 times

Advertisements

I was reading the results of a cyber poll on c-n.com which is run by the Courier News in Bridgewater and the majority of responses were against Democrats.
So would central NJ then be considered Republican territory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 03:21 PM

7,962 posts, read 16,772,619 times
I'd classify NJ as socially moderate to liberal, across the board, as in all 21 counties. Fiscal conservatism vs liberalism is different. The large counties in NJ have always been fiscally Democrat. Essex, Camden, Hudson and Union Counties come to mind immdiately. The central NJ counties, Mercer, and Middlesex, are also Democrat leaning.

Really, in NJ, if you want to find where the votes are going, access the census page: Census Bureau Home Page and search for NJ by county. The counties that have the highest percentage of white residents will be the ones that have the highest Republican plurality (i.e. outer suburban counties). Conversely, the higher the percentage of Hispanic, Black, and Asians, the larger the percentage of Democrat plurality there will be. I can post many maps here by county to back up my claim.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:22 PM

3,858 posts, read 8,052,117 times
Tough call. NJ-12 (which, arguably, is the most central district) is represented by Rush Holt, a liberal Democrat who has worked very hard to transcend partisan politics and has made a lot of republican allies. NJ-7, just to the north is represented by Mike Fergueson who is extremely conservative, but he got his bell wrung pretty good by Assemblywoman Linda Stender last election, and there's a good chance she may bump him off in 2008. Both are swing districts compared to the northeast which is solidly Democrat and the northwest which is solidly Republican. State legislature seats/town councils are a little more fractious.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:05 PM

468 posts, read 449,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Really, in NJ, if you want to find where the votes are going, access the census page: Census Bureau Home Page and search for NJ by county.I can post many maps here by county to back up my claim.
Can you post a map of Somerset Co,the census site is somewhat confusing.

Old 10-03-2007, 04:08 PM

2,689 posts, read 2,847,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSo View Post
I was reading the results of a cyber poll on c-n.com which is run by the Courier News in Bridgewater and the majority of responses were against Democrats.

the area was traditionally republican, as the area has grown many of the newcomers are from NY and are more liberal and the democraps have been picking up strength from these newcomers

Old 10-03-2007, 05:55 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,280,755 times
I know Marlboro and Manalapan are largely democrats. A republican may get in for an local office, but town stastics always showed that they voted more democratic than Republican.
They are located in Central NJ, Monmouth County.

Diane

Old 10-03-2007, 06:44 PM

2,689 posts, read 2,847,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I know Marlboro and Manalapan are largely democrats. A republican may get in for an local office, but town stastics always showed that they voted more democratic than Republican.
They are located in Central NJ, Monmouth County.

Diane
and in the last 20 or so years the place became infested with ex nyers wo brought their politics with them. It was democraps who taxed them out of NY and then the fools come to NJ and support the corrupt nj democraps who are going to tax them right out of NJ

Old 10-03-2007, 06:55 PM

2,866 posts, read 8,280,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
and in the last 20 or so years the place became infested with ex nyers wo brought their politics with them. It was democraps who taxed them out of NY and then the fools come to NJ and support the corrupt nj democraps who are going to tax them right out of NJ
Don't get excited, I'm a Republican, always was !

Diane

Old 10-04-2007, 08:06 AM

197 posts, read 721,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSo View Post
Joe, Central NJs party loyalties depend on the town. Trenton, I can tell you is Democrat, Hamilton Twp, used to be a Republican stronghold. Jack Rafferty (R) was mayor for 20 yrs. Now Glen Gilmore (D) is in office and has been for 8yrs. He's up for reelection in November, it's anybodys guess as to which way the voters will sway. Urban sprawl has generated a strong influx of city Democrats into the township. Hightstown/East Windsor is another anomaly. Hightstown has a Republican mayor probably because its a hard working blue collar town or at least used to be until the influx of NYers that are white-collar and commute to NYC. East Windsor on the other hand is Democrat and has been for close to 50 years. These towns are separated by route 130. Just my 2 cents on towns I'm personally familiar with. Central NJ encompasses such a large area though, so it's hard to label in Republican or Democrat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or