U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2007, 10:40 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,098,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Why?

Just curious.
I was checking because every few days I'd get a phone call or email from someone up in NJ, with a "it's been really hot up here- but probably not half as bad as what you must be dealing with down there" comment. On most days, it was within a few degrees one way or the other, and the humidity in NJ was almost always higher (for Woodbridge Twp at least).

Was all of June 85 degrees? Of course not- I never said it was. But for someone to comment that "we only turned our AC on a few days this summer" is absurd unless they like it extremely warm. I can tell you that I spent several days loading boxes and stuff into a POD in NJ in mid July, and I was far more uncomfortable (sweaty, thick air, etc) than the days I unloaded them in GA a month later. That's not scientific evidence by any means, of course, but let's not make it seem like NJ's summers are so wonderfully pleasant either......

As far as "why do people who leave NJ come back to this forum?", could it be because we've spent many years living there, and unlike many posters (you being an exception) we've also lived in other places, so we can offer views not only on NJ, but also how it compares to other areas? Nothing drives me crazy more than some of the posters who spout out "I could never live in XYZ- I was down there for two days 50 years ago, and it was.......".

ETA- BTW- your chart doesn't indicate average "highs" for those days/months, but rather average temps throughout the day and night- kinda explains why this summer shows "average" temps in the 60's and 70's when the highs were much different.....

Bob
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 10:45 AM

12,284 posts, read 30,939,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I was checking because every few days I'd get a phone call or email from someone up in NJ, with a "it's been really hot up here- but probably not half as bad as what you must be dealing with down there" comment. On most days, it was within a few degrees one way or the other, and the humidity in NJ was almost always higher (for Woodbridge Twp at least).

Was all of June 85 degrees? Of course not- I never said it was. But for someone to comment that "we only turned our AC on a few days this summer" is absurd unless they like it extremely warm. I can tell you that I spent several days loading boxes and stuff into a POD in NJ in mid July, and I was far more uncomfortable (sweaty, thick air, etc) than the days I unloaded them in GA a month later. That's not scientific evidence by any means, of course, but let's not make it seem like NJ's summers are so wonderfully pleasant either......

As far as "why do people who leave NJ come back to this forum?", could it be because we've spent many years living there, and unlike many posters (you being an exception) we've also lived in other places, so we can offer views not only on NJ, but also how it compares to other areas? Nothing drives me crazy more than some of the posters who spout out "I could never live in XYZ- I was down there for two days 50 years ago, and it was.......".

Bob
My money's on the fact that for every NJ poster who says "I could never live <wherever>" there are 10 that say "<insert some horrible NJ town> is hell on earth, I don't know how ANYONE could live in (the entire state of) NJ. <insert utopia state here> is SOOOOOO much better, everything's better, the schools, the weather, the food, the taxes, the people, blah blah blah" - and we need to be reminded of it on a daily basis....

Old 10-08-2007, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
My money's on the fact that for every NJ poster who says "I could never live <wherever>" there are 10 that say "<insert some horrible NJ town> is hell on earth, I don't know how ANYONE could live in (entire state of) NJ. <insert utopia state here> is SOOOOOO much better, everything's better, the schools, the weather, the food, the taxes, the people, blah blah blah" - and we need to be reminded of it on a daily basis....
Probably so- and in NJ's case, many probably don't even base their assertions on a visit, but rather on what they've seen in the opening credits of The Sopranos.....lol

Bob

Old 10-08-2007, 10:50 AM

25,341 posts, read 24,141,953 times
Quote:

ETA- BTW- your chart doesn't indicate average "highs" for those days/months, but rather average temps throughout the day and night- kinda explains why this summer shows "average" temps in the 60's and 70's when the highs were much different.....

Bob
Oh, definitely, and I thought of that after I posted it, *but* these averages are certainly not out of the ordinary for averages for previous summers. So to see people so shocked and miserable at the heat is...odd.

It's so very weird that your friends were calling you to complain about the heat. I call my family constantly and I probably heard about the heat three times from June until now. Maybe it has to do with the part of the state they are living in...or as I said, a sensitivity to temperature or humidity changes. I don't know...but anyone's experience is as valid as anyone else's, so you've shown yours and I've shown mine. As you said, it's helpful for people thinking of relocating to the state.

Now...that said...I do understand your reasoning about wanting to come back to the New Jersey forum to give people tips about New Jersey. That part doesn't puzzle me at all. What puzzles me is people, primarily relocators to the south (not sure why this is), coming back to the New Jersey board to talk about their new states. I'm not sure how *that* is helpful to people thinking of relocating to New Jersey, and that's what I was pointing out. Now if it were primarily in response to people asking where they should move from New Jersey, that would be one thing, but it rarely is; instead, it's interjected throughout posts that have nothing to do with other states, even one specifically about this state in general...which is odd. It's beyond me how hearing that Georgia only has X percent humidity or North Carolina has a number eight-ranked school qualifies as good advice for people moving to New Jersey.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:52 AM

25,341 posts, read 24,141,953 times
Quote:
Probably so- and in NJ's case, many probably don't even base their assertions on a visit, but rather on what they've seen in the opening credits of The Sopranos.....lol

Bob
OMG. I've been asked here (southern California) if I'm a Soprano. Just as a joke, mind you, ha, ha, ha. Yup, sooooooooooo funny! I should ask, "Are you a bullemic getting set for your next plastic surgery? Ha! Ha! Ha!" but I'm no longer bitter enough to consider actually saying it, LOL. It's all the one, as my former roommate used to say...no big deal.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:57 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,083,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
that's true.. I was been sarcastic because this thread is going to get ridicolous soon..
...not that you didn't contribute to that with your "cow tipping" comment.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post

It's beyond me how hearing that Georgia only has X percent humidity or North Carolina has a number eight-ranked school qualifies as good advice for people moving to New Jersey.
I'll agree with that one- and with the exception of a poster or two, I don't think anyone comes here to intentionally rub anyone's face in anything or spout off facts just for the fun of it. In most cases, it's a natural defense to a comment someone has made.

As an example, someone in this thread (I think) said something along the lines of "I don't know anyone who moved to the south for the quality of the schools", which prompted a response regarding NC schools. The problem with a comment like that, and the response, is that it's too generalized. I'm sure there's plenty of people who moved south for the schools, because they couldn't afford to live in the high-dollar towns up north that have good schools, while the could do so down south. Was it their primary motivator to move? Maybe, maybe not- but they still end up with a better school than they can afford up north. In my particular case, we weighed a number of factors, including schools, and we ended up with a better school than we could afford in NJ. Now, if I wanted top schools and could afford a $1,000,000 home (and the taxes that come with that), would I have bought in a high $$ town in NJ? Maybe- provided it gave me everything else I wanted.

Also, there's the fact that the original comment is a gross generalization of the south having bad schools overall. Are there poorly performing schools/districts down here? Of course there are- just like there are in NJ. But to generalize that the south has bad schools is like generalizing that NJ is just one big toxic waste dump.

Bob

Old 10-08-2007, 11:48 AM

5,370 posts, read 10,128,606 times
Bob, May I respond to that, I think that was directed at my self about the schools from down south comment. A poster that moved to the Carolinas came on this board and clearly seemed she was rubbing it in our face about the schools from cAROLINA. That is why I responded to that and that was the only reason. How can someone come on this board and try to misinform the posters in a comment like, We have the TOP 5 COLLEGES in the country here. I'm not a rocket scientist but anyone with a computer can find out that she was definitely wrong with that assertion. An I am not saying the schools are bad in the Carolinas. I spent an Easter week there approx. 4 years ago traveling to most of the major universities. It's obviously a no brainer. Princeton U. has rated in top 1 or 2 for the last 20 years. That being said I have the utmost respect for the universities in the Carolinas. To alot of posters on the Jerey forums they feel slighted when the posts come in that they percieve as untrue and out and out lies.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,989 times
Can't speak for Atlanta........but in the summer the temp is about the same in NC and NJ........and when in the summer is it ever 67 in NJ or NY???

Old 07-05-2009, 11:04 AM

59 posts, read 64,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
LOL.. there is no comparison.. what's in NC.. LMAO!!

they do have cow tiping competitions.. lol
I agree, North Carolina is a very boring state. I simply could not tolerate the culture and people in North Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey