U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 11:47 AM

2,816 posts, read 9,196,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...e-would-5.html

It's been revived in the General Forum. It makes for interesting reading.
It's a toss up when comparing to North Carolina. Western North Carolina reminds me of a combination of Sussex County in NW Jersey and many of the areas in South Jersey, less the shore. Wilmington and Wrights Beach can compare to areas such as Ocean City, Avalon, etc.

Cost of living, actually you can even find comparables there too now believe it or not. NC income tax is 7%, high sales tax on just about everything, property tax is low in most areas until you hit Charlotte proper, and the insurance rates can kill you close to Rocky Point to Wilmington.

At one time the politics were totally different, but now??? Well, since NC chose to go Blue and voted the Chicken Lady into the governors office, about the only thing you read about is tax increases, port fee increases, gas tax this and that, etc., and she even has an income statement like Comrade Corzine, in short, I have my billions but I will make sure I screw the dollars out of you so there is no way you will ever achieve your dream.

With all aside though and to the question. Well, I'm a native southern guy. Left the south in 92 on a transfer to S.Jersey. lived there over 10 years and adopted Jersey as my hometown. Yeah! when I received the transfer I thought Jersey Oh Crap! Smoke Stacks and crime oh my! And like most others once there I found the opposite. A true "Garden State" with it's corn and tomato fields, the cranberry bogs,. The best darn Italian restaurants in the nation, the shore, Philly and NYC, sports with the one and only Eagles. Hockey with the Flyers and Devils, and speaking of the Devils, the Pinelands, Princeton, and the Delaware Water Gap!

I was transfered out in 02 to Chicago (loved it) then sent to Georgia close to 5 years ago. To the one poster who asked "do you check the weather" yep I do! I check Jersey all the time! And would I come back? You bet your Jersey hiney I would! In a heartbeat! Taxes be darned! I would say car insurance, but Atlanta is catching up quickly, so either way it's a wash. Funny, I did notice NJ vs NC and not NJ vs GA. On that note, you would find many a crazy take backs Mine is short, give me a transfer out of Georgia and the only thing you will see is a tag on my arse saying Good Bye and don't call!

Take it from a southern raised guy as one poster stated about not wanting Yankees or something of that nature. Nah! ain't all that! It's just we scratch our heads and wonder the following "Why in the Hell do they want to come here for!?!" Can't be the weather, can't be to get away from crime as Atlanta usually maintains equal footing with Camden on a constant basis, can't be the sports, sure as hell can't be the food unless fast food and fat laiden fried crap is what you crave, and it surely isn't the ease of traffic. No, we have nothing against Yankees, wez just a little confused as to why you Northern folk want to come down here fer

PS: Can someone send me a real Cheesesteak and a good slice!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 04:08 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,428,993 times
Getting back to the weather: I actually find New Jersey to be way too cold. I do like some semblance of seasons, but anything below, say, 60 degrees I hate. I would like winter to last between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day and then return to summer.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Getting back to the weather: I actually find New Jersey to be way too cold. I do like some semblance of seasons, but anything below, say, 60 degrees I hate. I would like winter to last between Thanksgiving and New Year's Day and then return to summer.
Verando,

Will trade you one below 60 degree day and one NJ winter day in Ocean County for one 99 degree day with 100 percent humidity and one typical southern summer where you sweat standing still while swatting swarms of flies and blood sucking insects as big as fighter jets.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:56 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,102,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Verando,

Will trade you one below 60 degree day and one NJ winter day in Ocean County for one 99 degree day with 100 percent humidity and one typical southern summer where you sweat standing still while swatting swarms of flies and blood sucking insects as big as fighter jets.
Are we living in the same GA? This is my third summer here, and I've yet to have a day that was obnoxiously hot and humid, and I'm still waiting for the "swarms of flies and blood sucking insects as big as fighter jets" that everyone talks about. If anything, we've found there to be less of a mosquito problem here than what we left in NJ- and with a daughter who's highly allergic to mosquito bites, it's readily apparent that there have been far fewer here.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Are we living in the same GA? This is my third summer here, and I've yet to have a day that was obnoxiously hot and humid, and I'm still waiting for the "swarms of flies and blood sucking insects as big as fighter jets" that everyone talks about. If anything, we've found there to be less of a mosquito problem here than what we left in NJ- and with a daughter who's highly allergic to mosquito bites, it's readily apparent that there have been far fewer here.
Yes Bob we are. Don't know about Cherokee but NE Gwinnett and Jackson are terrible this year. Had a 4th party with over 60 people. Tents, candles, repellent, etc., the works. Ended up being a very packed house. Between the flies swarming (reminded me of my days stationed in NE Africa) and the blood suckers by 6pm, it was all anyone could stand. Yes Bob, we live in the same Georgia, but my side must be sweeter than yours Either that or due to the flies we smell more like poop

Old 07-06-2009, 09:06 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,102,485 times
Quote:
Yes Bob we are. Don't know about Cherokee but NE Gwinnett and Jackson are terrible this year. Had a 4th party with over 60 people. Tents, candles, repellent, etc., the works. Ended up being a very packed house. Between the flies swarming (reminded me of my days stationed in NE Africa) and the blood suckers by 6pm, it was all anyone could stand. Yes Bob, we live in the same Georgia, but my side must be sweeter than yours Either that or due to the flies we smell more like poop
Must be....lol. We were outside all weekend, including up to about 10pm on the 4th, and didn't have one bite. The only preventative measure was a light misting of Off, which is pretty standard just about anywhere this time of year (other than when I lived in Vegas, where mosquitos didn't exist....lol).

Old 07-06-2009, 09:35 AM

1,983 posts, read 6,581,258 times
Quote:
It's a toss up when comparing to North Carolina. Western North Carolina reminds me of a combination of Sussex County in NW Jersey and many of the areas in South Jersey, less the shore. Wilmington and Wrights Beach can compare to areas such as Ocean City, Avalon, etc.

Cost of living, actually you can even find comparables there too now believe it or not. NC income tax is 7%, high sales tax on just about everything, property tax is low in most areas until you hit Charlotte proper, and the insurance rates can kill you close to Rocky Point to Wilmington.

At one time the politics were totally different, but now??? Well, since NC chose to go Blue and voted the Chicken Lady into the governors office, about the only thing you read about is tax increases, port fee increases, gas tax this and that, etc., and she even has an income statement like Comrade Corzine, in short, I have my billions but I will make sure I screw the dollars out of you so there is no way you will ever achieve your dream.

With all aside though and to the question. Well, I'm a native southern guy. Left the south in 92 on a transfer to S.Jersey. lived there over 10 years and adopted Jersey as my hometown. Yeah! when I received the transfer I thought Jersey Oh Crap! Smoke Stacks and crime oh my! And like most others once there I found the opposite. A true "Garden State" with it's corn and tomato fields, the cranberry bogs,. The best darn Italian restaurants in the nation, the shore, Philly and NYC, sports with the one and only Eagles. Hockey with the Flyers and Devils, and speaking of the Devils, the Pinelands, Princeton, and the Delaware Water Gap!

I was transfered out in 02 to Chicago (loved it) then sent to Georgia close to 5 years ago. To the one poster who asked "do you check the weather" yep I do! I check Jersey all the time! And would I come back? You bet your Jersey hiney I would! In a heartbeat! Taxes be darned! I would say car insurance, but Atlanta is catching up quickly, so either way it's a wash. Funny, I did notice NJ vs NC and not NJ vs GA. On that note, you would find many a crazy take backs Mine is short, give me a transfer out of Georgia and the only thing you will see is a tag on my arse saying Good Bye and don't call!

Take it from a southern raised guy as one poster stated about not wanting Yankees or something of that nature. Nah! ain't all that! It's just we scratch our heads and wonder the following "Why in the Hell do they want to come here for!?!" Can't be the weather, can't be to get away from crime as Atlanta usually maintains equal footing with Camden on a constant basis, can't be the sports, sure as hell can't be the food unless fast food and fat laiden fried crap is what you crave, and it surely isn't the ease of traffic. No, we have nothing against Yankees, wez just a little confused as to why you Northern folk want to come down here fer

PS: Can someone send me a real Cheesesteak and a good slice!
You are fortunate enough to have these experiences. I was down in Charlotte after college working for First Union for a number of years. Charlotte is a nice town but after 2-3 years I really began to see the downside to the area. The crime. Wow. The food was terrible, etc., the summers were way too hot, the ice storms in winter, people don't know how to drive and move very slowly, etc. There are some nice aspects to the Charlotte area, especially in those days, but traffic certainly became a huge issue as time went on, jobs started to become scarce. When I left I was like good riddance - I was in my 20s at the time, so that might have been a contributing factor. The movers thought I was nuts coming back to NJ - though it was career related. I would not move back to Charlotte or NC unless I decide to make a go at retiring early.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey