Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 05:40 PM

357 posts, read 1,026,653 times

Advertisements

Yes you'll be fine with school registration. I know they have kids starting mid year sometimes when people move mid year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 06:17 PM

291 posts, read 977,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learningtime View Post
Thanks! I hope not. We picked Rutherford (thanks everyone). My husband is formalizing The Meadow. We'll figure out what we are doing for the long term in 12 months. Now I have to figure out which school. She would get in somewhere in the district right? I hope so
Congrats on finding a place! Yes, they have to find (or make!) space for you in district, don't worry! They will tell you which school you are assigned to. You should contact the Rutherford Board of Education as soon as you can. They will tell you what you need--usually a copy of your lease, your DD's birth certificate to prove her age, and some miscellaneous paperwork. It can sometimes take awhile to get in touch with them over the summer, so the sooner you can start the process, the better.

If you wanted to, you could also have your son tested to get into the SN preschool program there, as well.

Here's the website with the contact info and some additional information:

http://www.rutherfordschools.org/district/

Old 08-09-2012, 06:53 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
OP, once you get settled, if you get a chance do come back and tell us what you think of NJ. I'm always interested in the POV of people from other places of our state, and I don't mean just those who have driven down the Turnpike once or twice and think the entire state consists of oil refineries and urban decay.

Anyway, this is YOUR state forum now, hehehe.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:52 PM

15 posts, read 46,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjersey View Post
Congrats on finding a place! Yes, they have to find (or make!) space for you in district, don't worry! They will tell you which school you are assigned to. You should contact the Rutherford Board of Education as soon as you can. They will tell you what you need--usually a copy of your lease, your DD's birth certificate to prove her age, and some miscellaneous paperwork. It can sometimes take awhile to get in touch with them over the summer, so the sooner you can start the process, the better.

If you wanted to, you could also have your son tested to get into the SN preschool program there, as well.

Here's the website with the contact info and some additional information:

Rutherford Public Schools - Rutherford Public Schools, Rutherford, New Jersey
Thanks so much. My husband is finally resting in his secaucus hotel. He had quite the run around today. Thanks so much everyone. Yes, I will certainly get in touch with the Rutherford Board of Education right away. Time is going to fly. I'll also get my son going but was, quite frankly, feeling a bit guilty about pulling our daughter from a fine school here that she loves and move to NJ/NY primarily for our son (but jobs worked out well too!). She is, however, excited about the move.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:54 PM

15 posts, read 46,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OP, once you get settled, if you get a chance do come back and tell us what you think of NJ. I'm always interested in the POV of people from other places of our state, and I don't mean just those who have driven down the Turnpike once or twice and think the entire state consists of oil refineries and urban decay.

Anyway, this is YOUR state forum now, hehehe.
Yes, I sure will report back. And you have a point. Until now, my only time in NJ were (1) car service from NYC into EWR (where I truly wondered what went wrong right after we crossed the Hudson and (2) drive from EWR into Warren NJ. Warren was pretty.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:10 PM

291 posts, read 977,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by learningtime View Post
Thanks so much. My husband is finally resting in his secaucus hotel. He had quite the run around today. Thanks so much everyone. Yes, I will certainly get in touch with the Rutherford Board of Education right away. Time is going to fly. I'll also get my son going but was, quite frankly, feeling a bit guilty about pulling our daughter from a fine school here that she loves and move to NJ/NY primarily for our son (but jobs worked out well too!). She is, however, excited about the move.
Rutherford schools are very solid, I don't think you'll be disappointed by the quality of education.

There is so much to do around here for kids (and adults)! The beach, mountains for skiiing and winter activities, tons of sporting events and concerts at the Meadowlands, plenty of parks and playgrounds, several children's museums, some amusement parks, zoos, lots of recreational sports leagues (Rutherford definitely has some for the 6-7 year old set), tons of restaurants and stores, many indoor play places for kids in bad weather, --just about anything you could want, and that's not even mentioning all the things to do in NYC. IMO, this is a fantastic (albeit expensive) place to raise a family.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:52 AM

As jerseyjersey pointed out, our state has a little bit of everything. Where I live, about an hour's drive south of you, when I go 15 minutes east, I'm at the ocean. Ten minutes west, horse farms. I have to travel a little further to get to hills and mountains, but no more than an hour and a half. And of course, there is the city, where I've worked for more than 30 years. Now we're in Jersey City, but I've got a heck of a view!

Old 08-10-2012, 05:18 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,781,043 times
Some of the advice here is crazy. To the poster of this thread, Secaucus has decent schools. People in NJ have this obsession with schools and think that anything aside from Ridgewood schools are just garbage and your kid will become stupid or something. Really, you have to take what NJ residents say about schools with a grain of salt.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Some of the advice here is crazy. To the poster of this thread, Secaucus has decent schools. People in NJ have this obsession with schools and think that anything aside from Ridgewood schools are just garbage and your kid will become stupid or something. Really, you have to take what NJ residents say about schools with a grain of salt.
I don't think anyone ever said anything about Secaucus' schools one way or another, and no one ever mentioned Ridgewood at all, since that's too far out for the OP's commuter preference. The only discussion about schools was between East Rutherford and Rutherford, and I posted the Great Schools rating site so the OP could look for herself. As a matter of fact, some of us agreed that the schools in any of those towns would be fine, especially since the OP's daughter is only going to first grade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey