Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 08:13 AM

64 posts, read 851,795 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased a townhome in central NJ. The townhouse was built in 1991, and both its AC and furnace are original. My home inspector told me that the normal life span for AC/furnace are around 15-20 years. I guess that means I will need to start shopping for HVAC system very soon.. What is a reasonable price to replace the HVAC system (including installation) for a 1600 sq townhouse? What will be the best time during the year to do the replacement?

Any comments will be highly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 01:09 PM

291 posts, read 976,773 times
We replaced the HVAC on a townhouse 4 years ago, it was about the same age and sf as yours, with single zone heating and A/C. We got several estimates, and they ranged from a bit under $4,000 to over $8,000, depending on the brand of the units we purchased and their efficiency. "Big name" brands like Carrier and Lenox tended to be priced higher, but there were a couple of smaller brands that were well-rated and slightly less expensive.

We ultimately went with a smaller brand, good but not the best system for about $5K, but for us the decision was easier because we knew we'd be selling the place within a year, or two at most.

Also, if your systems are both older, and one needs to be replaced, from what we saw, it was much less expensive to do them both at the same time (heating and A/C). Our furnace was shot, and our A/C still worked but was nearly 20 years old, so we opted to do both, because it would have cost almost $2K more to do them separately.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:37 PM

64 posts, read 851,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjersey View Post
We replaced the HVAC on a townhouse 4 years ago, it was about the same age and sf as yours, with single zone heating and A/C. We got several estimates, and they ranged from a bit under $4,000 to over $8,000, depending on the brand of the units we purchased and their efficiency. "Big name" brands like Carrier and Lenox tended to be priced higher, but there were a couple of smaller brands that were well-rated and slightly less expensive.

We ultimately went with a smaller brand, good but not the best system for about $5K, but for us the decision was easier because we knew we'd be selling the place within a year, or two at most.

Also, if your systems are both older, and one needs to be replaced, from what we saw, it was much less expensive to do them both at the same time (heating and A/C). Our furnace was shot, and our A/C still worked but was nearly 20 years old, so we opted to do both, because it would have cost almost $2K more to do them separately.
Thanks so much for the info. Another related question. would people replace HVAC before or after they break ? My colleagues told me sometimes furnace can last as long as 50 years!

Old 08-21-2012, 02:41 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fzpanda View Post
What will be the best time during the year to do the replacement?
I would say any time it's warm is a good time to get a system replaced. You can always get or borrow a window unit of two to get you by for a couple weeks while you have the system replaced. The same can't be said about the winter. Even if you can just heat one or two rooms, you have to worry about pipes freezing in the rest of the house. At least in the summer you don't have to worry about the rest of the house bursting into fires cause there's no A/C.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:06 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,689,910 times
Quote:
I recently purchased a townhome in central NJ. The townhouse was built in 1991, and both its AC and furnace are original. My home inspector told me that the normal life span for AC/furnace are around 15-20 years. I guess that means I will need to start shopping for HVAC system very soon.. What is a reasonable price to replace the HVAC system (including installation) for a 1600 sq townhouse? What will be the best time during the year to do the replacement?

Any comments will be highly appreciated!
My recommendation is to get a PSEG worry-free contract for the AC and Furnace, so at least, that way, you're covered before you have to buy a new one.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:17 PM

11,336 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for the info. Another related question. would people replace HVAC before or after they break ? My colleagues told me sometimes furnace can last as long as 50 years!
We had to replace our original furnace when it was 40 years old.

I believe in the old saying, "if it ain't broke".

Old 08-21-2012, 07:45 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,881,652 times
Quote:
If you can live without heat/AC for a bit, wait, if you can't, don't. A couple and their teenage kid(s) can deal. A couple with a baby or an older person with health problems might want to consider being more proactive.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Just saw this, and while yes, some well-made furnaces and A/C systems can last a long time, if you live in a townhouse community built in the 1990s, it's likely that they didn't use top of the line, built to last systems. Of course, if you live in a very high-end development, it might be different. But the first home we owned was a KHov built townhome circa 1990-91, and by the time we moved out in 2010 (so, 19-20 year old systems), just about everyone in our section had replaced their HVAC. They don't build things like they used to, especially in those developments!

Old 08-22-2012, 06:27 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjersey View Post
They don't build things like they used to, especially in those developments!
I don't believe that's true, they still build some quality products, but you have to pay more for them. Pretty much any mass build development uses builder grade (ie low quality) materials. No one looks at the high quality brand name air conditioners, furnaces, windows, etc when shopping for a house. They are looking at the nice cabinets and granite counter tops. So the builders spend the money where people want to see better quality items and skimp on the things people don't see.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
I don't believe that's true, they still build some quality products, but you have to pay more for them. Pretty much any mass build development uses builder grade (ie low quality) materials. No one looks at the high quality brand name air conditioners, furnaces, windows, etc when shopping for a house. They are looking at the nice cabinets and granite counter tops. So the builders spend the money where people want to see better quality items and skimp on the things people don't see.
Hence why I said that my comments may not apply if the OP lived in a high-end development. The "average" furnace from 50 years ago is probably more likely to be working than the average KHov mass install from 25 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey