Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 03:51 PM

171 posts, read 416,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the nation is still angry View Post
if you're happy or smiling, then something is wrong with you. in jersey, you can be any emotion except happy. it seems like a lot of people in new jersey are miserable as hell. you can just feel the negative vibe coming from them as you deal with them. life isn't that bad. you know things are bad if people are actually asking you "why are you smiling for?" wtf? what's wrong with smiling?
I smile quite a bit, here in New Jersey--are you sure you're in New Jersey, this New Jersey, the one on the eastern seaboard of the US and not maybe regular Jersey, the one over in England?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 04:29 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanuttree View Post
well, yes, when they're referring to newark, de. Newark, nj is a different place, which we pronounce differently.
really?

Old 08-21-2012, 09:44 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,199,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
really?
Yep, it's never "New Ark, NJ" nor "Nooerk, DE", no matter where you're from. (and if you are pronouncing the Delaware town that way, cut it out :-) )

Old 08-22-2012, 08:16 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo1213 View Post
We go down the shore. Once we are there, we go to the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YES! People make fun of us all the time for "down the shore", like, "it's called going to the beach a**holes!" but I mean it's simple. Down the shore means going south along the parkway towards the beach towns, and once you're down at the beach exits, you go to the beach. Not that hard, people.

Then you have the people from Philly who try to say "I'm going to the shore this weekend!"… No. It's the beach. Only we can say it like that because it makes sense. Otherwise, it's the beach.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:18 PM

171 posts, read 416,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
YES! People make fun of us all the time for "down the shore", like, "it's called going to the beach a**holes!" but I mean it's simple. Down the shore means going south along the parkway towards the beach towns, and once you're down at the beach exits, you go to the beach. Not that hard, people.

Then you have the people from Philly who try to say "I'm going to the shore this weekend!"… No. It's the beach. Only we can say it like that because it makes sense. Otherwise, it's the beach.
Hahah. Yeah. You can go down the shore without going to the beach; but to get to the beach, you must first go down the shore.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:24 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,875,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
People have complained for years that WPVI (6ABC) says "down at the shore" instead of just "down the shore." I guess they just want to more grammatically correct.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwolf131 View Post
Hahah. Yeah. You can go down the shore without going to the beach; but to get to the beach, you must first go down the shore.
Exactly.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
People have complained for years that WPVI (6ABC) says "down at the shore" instead of just "down the shore." I guess they just want to more grammatically correct.
Haha, I have never heard that because I'm in North Jersey but that's funny! They got it wrong in Philly. It sounds so weird. I just googled that station and "Down at the Shore" was one of the first results - "What's going on down at the shore this weekend!" summer page. Too funny.

Old 08-22-2012, 08:53 PM

As far as this gravy/sauce debate goes, my dad's parents are both 100% Italian (grandfather's grandparents - I believe it was his grandparents not his parents - came from Naples region; grandmother's parents both came from Marsala, Sicily) and my grandmother calls it both. Sauce or gravy,it almost seems to depend on her mood - just whatever happens to come out of her mouth. Honestly, she says gravy more. My grandfather doesn't cook it so he doesn't say much about it! Haha but I have heard from my grandmother and many others that "gravy" is the Sunday sauce cooked with meats in it while "sauce" is simple tomato sauce. I call it sauce always, my father and grandmother call t both. Maybe it's just personal preference, but it's both in NJ.

I also agree with the people who have mentioned friendliness in NJ, anytime someone in or out of state talks randomly to me, I look at them like they have three heads! We really don't randomly converse with people anywhere to be honest. Maybe we're too busy or wrapped up in ourselves, but we don't seem to be friendly with one another in everyday situations. Of course there are always exceptions, but most of the time talking to strangers isn't something we go out of our way to do.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:35 PM

16,909 posts, read 10,580,649 times
NewErk is NJ, NewArk is DE. I've never heard of the "gravy" vs. "sauce" thing but then again I don't eat gravy so I don't pay attention to what people call it. I've never heard anyone refer to Philly as "The City"; Philly is Philly and there is no question what people are talking about when they say "The City". I would like someone to come up with some boundary lines between North, South and Central Jersey. I've lived here just about my who life and people still "correct" me when they think I placed a town in the wrong section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey