U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2007, 09:38 AM

176 posts, read 172,475 times

Advertisements

How about Mahwah, NJ New Yorker?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 06:45 PM

9 posts, read 27,270 times

Yes, next up and coming. But before you buy!!! Do your home work. You must check out the schools!!! Poor...very poor! Poor school will affect the sell of home if your planning to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker1970 View Post
Thanks BrianG, I've heard that Rahway was positioning itself as the "next Hoboken" (this is the same Rahway near Elizabeth, NJ in Union correct). Thanks for the suggestion. The commute into NYC seems fair (via NJtransit) and it is still close to NJ's major cities like Newark, Elizabeth, and Jersey City/Hoboken.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:50 PM

9 posts, read 27,270 times
Thumbs down Rahway Schools Sytsem In The Same Rank As Newark

VERY POOR SCHOOL SYSTEM MEANS YOU MAY HAVE A TIME TRYING TO SELL THE HOME IF YOU DECIDE NOT TO STAY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
FYI
There are no refinaries in Rahway
There is no prison in Rahway (just in case anybody brings that one up)
The only chemical co is Merck which is in both Rahway and Linden
Scenic 1-9 runs throughout Ne Nj even up to Jersey City
And you are right
The OP should take a ride , But actually come into Rahway
And see what is going on Downtown by the train station, Take a ride in The Inman Hgts section,The Milton Lake section The Hospital Section

Rahway is a lot more than that little stretch of scenic 1-9 (which is under reconstruction also )you pass by

And maybe you should also take a drive so you would know what you are talking about instead of just judging by a little stretch of road

Old 10-20-2007, 07:57 PM

19 posts, read 84,119 times
Cool ... I feel like you asked the question for me...

I have been searching NJ for a livable town for a while now... I may be too critical or my criteria may be too complex. I grew up in Old Bridge NJ, moved to Hoboken for a few years, and then ended up in Manhattan for 3 years...

Today I ventured out to Cranford, Westfield, Berkley Heights, South Orange, and Hoboken...

Cranford was nice - a bigger town than I expected. There are a lot of outside restaurants/bars. Not sure about the nightlife because the town felt empty.

Westfield - the only diversity I saw there were the different kinds of cars worth over $50k parked on the street and parking lots. I like the richness of the town, but I rather not get all dressed to walk around town. People and teenagers were dressed to the nine hanging out. I just didnít fit in walking around with jeans, a T-shirt, and sneakers.

Berkley Heights - someone told me there was a town there - i couldn't find it. I went right next to the train station, where did I go wrong?

South Orange - Nice small town. I saw townhouses right next to the train tracks that looked really nice. Looks like they are building up a little bit. Seton Hall is up the block. I saw different types of ethnicity wandering the streets. Ended the trip with a quick drive up to the reservation - very nice

Hoboken Ė Decided to end the NJ excursion with a trip to Shop Rite. HmmÖ Driving up bloomfield avenue, checking out the nice brownstones, people j-walking going to a bar.. Felt great. Unfortunately Hoboken itself hates dogs. When I lived there, I ended up taking my dog to Liberty Park because the parks in Hoboken are soo small.

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Tomorrow Iím going to Summit, Chatam, and maybe Morristown.. And Iím going to give Montclair another look. It didnít look so appealing when I passed through there a few years back.[/font]
[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Good luck on your search Ė Iíve been trying to post my excursions where ever i go.[/font]

Old 10-21-2007, 12:35 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,412,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker1970 View Post
I'm planning to move to New Jersey from NYC (I currently live in Brooklyn) and I'm looking for an urban community much like New York City in New Jersey. The community must be: diverse, liberal/open minded, urban, and a very easy commute to NYC. I'm considering Essex County: Newark (Ironbound, Forest Hills), Union County: Elizabeth, or Hudson County: Jersey City.
Someone needs a reality check. If you want a working class neighborhood-the ones in NJ wont be much different than what you find in NY. Those urban communities have all types of persons living in them but liberal/open minded? That is relative unless you want a university town or some other kind of bubble. Since when did working class places start identifying with the term liberal?

Old 10-21-2007, 01:58 PM

9 posts, read 34,690 times
Default check out the arts district of rahway its like a little manhattan

I am also moving to NJ and I decided on Rahway as soon as I saw the new train station and surrounding arts district. I cant afford manhattan so its the next best thing! And the NYC commute is perfect as well. Right now the area is in a renissance with high end high rise condos, hotels, homes, cafes, restaurants, theaters, art galleries and gardens popping up all over. Their are also some huge beautiful parks and lakes within city limits, and two malls with shopping pavillions 10 minutes from the city. Of course you also have some run down parts like anywhere else, but those areas are also getting much better with hundreds of millions being pumped into the area. And the best part is its affordable right now.

Old 10-21-2007, 02:38 PM

56 posts, read 262,229 times
Default Essex County, NJ

You're on the right track if you're thinking commute and diversity...Essex County is that. Montclair is more expensive than other places, but it's not like it doesn't exist here. Because it's a large town and diversity in economics also exists, and it's a college town, there are rentals...assuming that's what you're looking for...that are reasonable. Keep in mind that the towns that surround Montclair are also strong options; Bloomfield, Verona, West Orange, Glen Ridge. There are rentals to be found all over. It depends on monthly maximum rent you're looking to pay. In terms of night life, music, art, theatre, bars, etc. it's all happening in Montclair. It's the hub for all those other towns. It's why we all moved here...I'm from Park Slope, Brookyln and the pulse/vibe here is the same. Good luck!

Old 10-24-2007, 09:42 PM

31 posts, read 93,251 times
Check out Red Bank. Good diversity. Right on the train line for easy one-hour commute to NYC. Lots of nightlife, live music, on the Navesink River, 10 minutes to the Beach.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:43 PM

562 posts, read 2,373,521 times
Default little manhattan??

I had friends who lived in Rahway.. I don't think it has much population.. if you drive by the train station off peak hours.. you hardly see anyone around.. maybe I need to drive around to see the changes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmike41 View Post
I am also moving to NJ and I decided on Rahway as soon as I saw the new train station and surrounding arts district. I cant afford manhattan so its the next best thing! And the NYC commute is perfect as well. Right now the area is in a renissance with high end high rise condos, hotels, homes, cafes, restaurants, theaters, art galleries and gardens popping up all over. Their are also some huge beautiful parks and lakes within city limits, and two malls with shopping pavillions 10 minutes from the city. Of course you also have some run down parts like anywhere else, but those areas are also getting much better with hundreds of millions being pumped into the area. And the best part is its affordable right now.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:06 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,868,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstar41 View Post
I had friends who lived in Rahway.. I don't think it has much population.. if you drive by the train station off peak hours.. you hardly see anyone around.. maybe I need to drive around to see the changes..
Jstar
Population in Rahway is only about 28000

If you do come by to see the changes
try to come to the Taste of Rahway on Nov 16th at the rec center behind city hall , you can google Rahway center partnership to find out the details
Or on the first thursday of everymonth they have different things going on which would also be on the rcp site
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or