U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2007, 09:52 AM

29 posts, read 242,099 times

Advertisements

If I don't find a house soon and if new home closing date is well after my old home closing date, i may have to store the contents of my house.

So-I may have to move twice-to empty my house into a truck, by the closing date and then empty the truck again into storage, then reload it to move it to a new location. I got a quote today from a mover, and it wll be about $1300 X 2 plus $300 a month storage fee to move twice including labor. So the cost of the move will be around $3000 which is high for my budget, although I know relatively speaking it is a fair price from the mover. I am looking to count my dollars as I took a big hit on the sale price of my home in Rutherford.

So I wanted to ask if anyone has used Pods, and if there is a downside to them. I would have to hire my own people to load the pods, then they would be stored in the pod container. I wondered if anyone had experience good or bad using Pods. It would be about $1000 cheaper to use Pods.

I was wondering about liability, how careful the Pod people are about handling the container, if there was breakage how Pods is about liability and stuff, how accessible they are, what their working hours are, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 10:46 AM

2,866 posts, read 8,279,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutherford View Post
If I don't find a house soon and if new home closing date is well after my old home closing date, i may have to store the contents of my house.

So-I may have to move twice-to empty my house into a truck, by the closing date and then empty the truck again into storage, then reload it to move it to a new location. I got a quote today from a mover, and it wll be about $1300 X 2 plus $300 a month storage fee to move twice including labor. So the cost of the move will be around $3000 which is high for my budget, although I know relatively speaking it is a fair price from the mover. I am looking to count my dollars as I took a big hit on the sale price of my home in Rutherford.

So I wanted to ask if anyone has used Pods, and if there is a downside to them. I would have to hire my own people to load the pods, then they would be stored in the pod container. I wondered if anyone had experience good or bad using Pods. It would be about $1000 cheaper to use Pods.

I was wondering about liability, how careful the Pod people are about handling the container, if there was breakage how Pods is about liability and stuff, how accessible they are, what their working hours are, etc.
A customer of mine used them when he moved from San Diego to Austin, and he said it was way too much work. Can you find a less expensive mover?
He had to do his own unloading.
I don't know where you are moving but I used for a local move for my son 2 men and a truck. They are in NJ, but it seems they have trucks here in Nashville, and also other places. I know they were very inexpensive to move things from my house to my sons apt. So, to storage it may be cheap.
Diane

Old 10-04-2007, 11:02 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,868,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutherford View Post

What area are you looking into moving ?
Since there are a lot of homes for sale that are empty already
you should be able to find something where you can have a quick closing ,Paint and move in
you might even be able to make a deal where you could store the pod on the property you are purchasing until the closing (but that would depend on what area)
The buyer has most of the power in this market so it should not be hard to do .

Old 10-04-2007, 12:05 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,094,329 times
We used them to move from NJ to GA. We used two 16' PODS, and all-in including having people load and unload the PODS, we spent a little over $4,000. The lowest moving quote we got was almost $6,000, and the more realistic ones were closer to $8,000.

Like you, we also needed to store our stuff between the move-out and the move-in, which would have cost and additional $2,200 with the movers, but only cost $400 for the PODS to sit in a warehouse for an extra month.

I watched the drivers load the PODS onto and off of the trucks, and they were extremely careful to keep them level and not jostle them around. The can't really take much responsibility for breakage since you pack the PODS yourself, but we still ended up with no breakage at all (except for a plate that my wife didn't wrap well enough inside a box- but that wasn't PODS' fault).

If I had to do it again, I'd definitely do it the same way.

Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or